Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti-para Ordnance Trigger

mshotwell

Is there anything I need to know about these trigger before I install it this weekend?

I'll putting in the 70 series part from brownells at the same time. My Para is a P16 limited

Thanks

Edited by mshotwell

Hmmm...I haven't done one in a while, so maybe somebody will come along with better info...

- Eye-ball it for general condition and squareness.

- With other stuff out of the gun, put it in backwards and check to ensure that it isn't dragging.

- Then turn it around the right way and see if it will go in. It will most likely be over-sized in the height of the actual trigger pad.

One way to reduce the height is to put a sheet of sandpaper on a flat surface, then squarely run the trigger's top and bottom along the sandpaper to take some material off. Check it for fit...often. When it just starts to go in, you are pretty much done.

- Once it is in and put back together, check for magazine clearance. you might use magic marker to paint parts to look for rub marks. Also, check with a cocked hammer to ensure that the nothing is rubbing enough to knock the hammer off the sear.

- When you get around to live fire testing...only load two rounds to start. If the gun decides to go full-auto you don't want a mag full of ammo in it.

I'm sure somebody will be along to point out what I forgot or got wrong..

I have installed 2 different styles into my para frame. The STI for para gunsmith long flat trigger and a regular STI for para short trigger. I had to polish the bow and trigger channel in the frame. I had to remove metal from the top and bottom of the bow until it fit inside the channel, then I had to make sure the trigger would fall out of the frame with it's own weight. I had to remove material from the top and bottom of the trigger pad so it would fit in the trigger guard. then I had to make sure the thing was square and was not binding in the frame. The long gunsmith flat trigger seems to flex laterally and can bind. I will most likely be cutting it down a bit for that reason. I do like the long trigger though. I had to cut away some more material from the grip fillers I have on my frame in place of grips as well. Enjoy your project!

How possible, if at all, is it to install an STI for Para trigger into a para and then take the STI pad off and then use SV's interchangable pad on that one?

Why not just install the SVI trigger? Any gunsmith should be able to 'fit' it for you. There not that different. I have STI for Para, plain STI and SVI triggers in my Paras and Para clones.

--Sam S.

How possible, if at all, is it to install an STI for Para trigger into a para and then take the STI pad off and then use SV's interchangable pad on that one?

Why not just install the SVI trigger? Any gunsmith should be able to 'fit' it for you. There not that different. I have STI for Para, plain STI and SVI triggers in my Paras and Para clones.

--Sam S.

I talk to SVI, it can be done by a gunsmith. I wanted to do this myself. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks

I just put the trigger in, and took out the 80s parts. I bought the gun used, and had been work on before. How ever I don't think much was done. I think I need to slick up some of the other parts. I did buy a Nowlin sear spring, it seem to be to short.

Thanks

Polished everything that could be polished on it saturday morning. I then twicked the sear spring. I got it down to 3lbs, I don't have a jig so I didn't change any angle. All the safetys work. I might be able too shoot it today. It's a good thing I worked on it saturday. We lost power that afternoon. We're lucky it just cam on this morning, other will be with out for a week.

Thanks

I just put the trigger in, and took out the 80s parts. I bought the gun used, and had been work on before. How ever I don't think much was done. I think I need to slick up some of the other parts. I did buy a Nowlin sear spring, it seem to be to short.

Thanks

HEY, did you figure out about that short nowlin sear spring? Paras have a longer than spec spring and you have to mod the frame if you want to use regular 1911 sear springs.

I use the Nowlin kit on my P-16 LTD without a problem with the spring.

When I got the gun it had a trigger job to the factory parts and felt pretty good. There is hope for slicking up the factory parts. Of course I immediately put in the Nowlin kit and used the originals as spares since that's what I do to any stock 1911 I buy.

• 2 months later...
Well it's in didn't take long, just alittle fitting. Pull weight is 3 3/4 lb. I would like too get that down to 2 1/2 too 3lbs. I'm kind of learning as I go.

Thanks

Are you talking about the SV Tri-Glide trigger with the interchangable shoe? I have one I'd like to put in a Para but I'm not sure of the best way to correct the angle of the front of the bow. What did you do?

Well it's in didn't take long, just alittle fitting. Pull weight is 3 3/4 lb. I would like too get that down to 2 1/2 too 3lbs. I'm kind of learning as I go.

Thanks

Are you talking about the SV Tri-Glide trigger with the interchangable shoe? I have one I'd like to put in a Para but I'm not sure of the best way to correct the angle of the front of the bow. What did you do?

Brownells sells a para ordnance trigger stirrup die that you slide the bow over to get the proper geometry. I'm contemplating buying the SV interchangable trigger and trying to shape it for my P16 with this tool. Has anyone tried this?

Swede

Edited by swede

Thanks

Brownells sells a para ordnance trigger stirrup die that you slide the bow over to get the proper geometry. I'm contemplating buying the SV interchangable trigger and trying to shape it for my P16 with this tool. Has anyone tried this?

Swede

Even with the trigger stirrup die, I think you will have trouble trying to reshape an STI/SV trigger for your para. A good gunsmith can work wonders, but most us do it yourselfers do not have the equipment or expertise to do the job right.

Thanks

Swede

Even with the trigger stirrup die, I think you will have trouble trying to reshape an STI/SV trigger for your para. A good gunsmith can work wonders, but most us do it yourselfers do not have the equipment or expertise to do the job right.

You're right, I spoke too soon. According to the technical specs, the STI stirrup die they sell is almost 1/2" longer than the Para version.

Soooo, to whom should I send this trigger to get it modified? I really want to use this trigger in my Para. It's what I have in my SS gun and I want the feel to be the same. Any recommendations on whom to contact?