Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack Photo Thread

dirtypool40

Here's my new SSD 1911 .40 that I just finished building... its been a project on and off for me this last few months (I did everything except the actual barrel fitting, which was done by Mike Johnson). Its a Caspian Race Ready frame, Caspian slide (pre-cut for sights), Storm Lake ramped .40sw barrel, EGW bushing, steel guide rod, Brown ambi safety, McCormick Extreme Grip safety and tactical mag release, SV trigger w short flat insert, STI lock parts, Bomar rear & Dawson fiber .100 front sights. Besides the frame and barrel, almost eveything else is from my "parts box", of take off/extra/ traded for parts.

The slide is stainless, with steel frame in matte silver finish. Grips a home made sandpaper finish. I opened up the magwell slightly and serrated back strap and trigger guard for grip. I'm running CmC 10mm 9 round mags, and they work flawlessly so far (I've shot about 300 rounds through 6 different mags) with my 1.190 OAL Limited load.

I'm calling it done, but may send it off to have matching front serrations added to the slide at some point. I think I might actually keep this one for a little while. :P

stuff029.jpg

stuff030.jpg

stuff031.jpg

Edited by sfinney

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been posted before, but what the heck.

Kimber640x480.jpg

Jon

Can the original poster or someone else tell me what grips those are? They look nice and... grippy. :ph34r:

EDIT... Nevermind, I read ahead and found out all I needed to know. Simonich Gunner grips. Gotta order some of those!

Edited by Tungsten

Goto Strider Knives .Com and you can purchase

the various colors of Gunner Grips.

J.Kee

Many thanks... heading there now to check it out!

Sweet Avatar!!!!

Angel

Thank you. :)

Edited by Tungsten

I like the Simonich grips, but I found these Falcon's for $20 at Midway. I believe Brownells also has them. Had to make my own notches for the S&A Magwell pin. Still for $20 .... can't beat 'em. Now to find an extended mag release that I like. What is legal in SS ?

1004540vm9.jpg

(edited for spelling boo boo's)

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

• 1 month later...

Basicaly stock Springfield. EB magwell, Houge grips, Wilson extended mag release, ISMI 14# spring, and I narrowed the stock front sight to .100".

I've only shot it twice, and it is scary accurate.

June2907004.jpg

Edited by billdncn

Here's my latest: STI 'Lawman' purchased from a forum sponsor (CPWSA) a few weeks ago...I added an SVI aluminum magwell.

I'm still uncertain how I feel about this. There's some good and bad. The trigger is really rotten: it crunches during the take-up, then creeps, then finally breaks at about 5lbs (guess). She doesn't like the 8-round 'ACT/Novak/Armscor' mag that came with it, at least not from slide-lock, though my McCormicks work fine. I also had to crank the sight up almost as high as it would go to get zero. I should probably file the front down a bit.

However, so far it has run smoothly for 500 rounds (more than I can say for my Baer), feels good in the hand, and I like the sight picture. Slide to frame fit feels excellent, and the price on this pistol was very good!

I think with a trigger job this will end up being a very nice gun for SSD.

sti.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my Rock Island that was revamped by Miller Custom in Illinois.

Internals and mag release from EGW. Rear sight, flat trigger and slide stop are 10-8 Performance parts.

The gun will shoot 1.6" at 25 yards.

S1030191.jpg

S1030189.jpg

• 2 months later...

Here is the only SS 1911 I have... and it's also the first [only] pistol I built.

It's nothing special parts wise; since it was my first build I didn't want to risk wasting a bunch of expensive parts.

I have about 1k through it now with no malfunctions (except one mag that doesn't like to lock the slide back), and it shoots about 3" at 50yds from sandbags.

Caspian/Caspian/Kart-EZ-fit.

I still want to add an SVI mag well and do a bunch of finish work, but not until I get 5k or so through it and feel it's going to last.... then I'll start working on a .40 :wacko: .

-rvb

post-6093-1192143426.jpg

Edited by rvb