Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opinions on STI Lexor from Shooters Connection

vincent

I am considering getting an STI for USPSA Limited and Shooters Connection ( http://www.shootersconnection.com/ ) has a special model called the Lexor that has a 3 sided slide with a flat serrated top and a fiber optic front sight for about $1750.  The regular Edge is about $75 less.  Does anyone have any opinions on the Lexor?   They are also listing pre-bans available for purchase with a pistol which seems like a great opportunity.  Do these guns come with OK (less than 4lb) triggers from the factory or do they need to be sent straight to the gunsmith for trigger and reliability work?

Thanks,  -Vincent

I've got about 2,000 rds through my Lexor now.  The factory trigger was about 4 lbs, but I did have that worked on.  The factory safety was very stiff with an extra click that I had worked over.  I also deactivated the slide stop.  The factory extractor broke and I've fitted an Aftec.

Even with the above I'm pleased with it.  It runs better than my Kimber.  This weekend I was hitting a pop can at 50 yds offhand with some regularity.

My Lexor runs fantastically well.  However, it didn't at first and the original owner had to have some work done to it as well as send it back to STI.  (I just found this out.)  I'm wondering  if it's not cheaper, faster, and easier in the end just to have one built by a Bob Londrigan, Benny Hill, or George @ EGW and just cough up the extra $350-400 from the get go.  In the end, it's probably no different than buying the Lexor and sending it straight to the gunsmith.

E

1 vote here for the smith built gun. Buy the factory gun then sent it to the smith to get it right just dosent cut it, not time or money wise. Go to the smith of your choice and get YOUR pistol. I favor Bennie but Bob and Dave have loyal customers too, because  they produce guns that work. Just comes down to what you want, the factory wants to do 50 guns today, the smith just wants to do yours.                                        Larry

$2000 will get you a kick butt gun from a pistolsmith and it will work. If it doesn't you have someone to get to fix it. I know the factory has smiths but I know where I would spend my money. Many friends have had a brand new factory STI/SV/Para not work. Including me. Ask around and only go with guys who build IPSC guns. The local old pistolsmith that works in the local gun store will only hack up your parts.

Factory=good, custom=better

I would rather support someone I personally know with my $$$ when I can, even if it costs a bit more. I shoot in the same section with the smith I use and he has his rep on the line when I am shooting his gun because people know who built it. I think this gives goods smiths a reason to make sure your gun works great. People see a gun with problems and they tend to blame it on the smith, although as simple as these guns are, I think it has more to do with ammo and people tinkering with things they don't understand.

Based on the replies and other info about the unreliability of "factory" STI's I orderd a "semi-custom" STI from Dawson Precision and they will install the requested options, tune the gun, and perform a trigger job.  I'm happy that every option I wanted on the initial build was available, so I don't feel like I'm missing out.  I just hope the reliability, accuracy and overall build quality is as good as they say it is.

It will be a few weeks until it is ready, but I plan to update this thread with a range report.  I'm taking the plunge so cross your fingers for me!

-Vincent

I think you done good, so much easier to work on the game when the gun is a given, Dawson puts out a good pistol,keep up with your maintance, mags ect. Get a good load and go try to wear that sucker out, you will love it.                          Good shooting               Larry

vincent,

One of our local shooter recently got an STI built up by Dawson.  I hadn't handled a Daswon gun that was fitted from the ground up.  The gun really exceeded all expectation that I had for it.  I was impressed...I feel you will be pleased.

You made a good choice. I picked up one of Dave's Limited guns when he had them on sale last summer. The dang thing is like a timex it just keeps on ticking away. I tried everything from the short factory rounds to my old loads and it runs them all 100%. The fit and finish are top shelf. The gun is tight as a drum and the slide cycles like it is on ball bearings.

I bought an Edge from Chuck last May and I have been very pleased with it.  I did have the trigger tuned and put an Aftec in it before I even shot it.  I also had to replace my rear sight after about 150 rounds because the pivot pin broke (a design flaw in STI's Bomar copy.  This pin has another spring loaded pin that is supposed to hold it in place.  The recoil causes the retention pin to bounce which pounds the pivot pin eventually causing it to break.  I have yet to see an STI sight that hasn't failed like this).  My pistol has about 7K rounds through it so far without any malfunctions.  

A friend just ordered the Lexor package from Chuck.  The Lexor package seemed to be a better deal in that it includes the Dawson fiber optic sight (installed).  I haven't quite figured out the slide advantages/disadvantages yet.  The one thing about it that totally turned me off was the Recoil Master that came installed.  I can't believe that STI would claim this thing.  My friends gun would not function from the start.  It would fire a round and would fail to feed the next round.  When I first handled the pistol and racked the slide, I thought my friend had dropped it in sand.  It was "crunchy" feeling and I could actually get the slide to lock back without the slide stop! Turns out the Recoil Master had tool marks on it that the recoil spring was snagging on and the recoil plug was grabbing the marks too.  Also, the head had metal "tags" hanging off of it that were rubbing the barrel.  It looked like it was homemade.  I polished the  recoil master and honed out the recoil plug and it began working.  My friend notified Chuck about it and Chuck put him in contact with STI customer service people who offered to send a new Recoil Master.  That is nice but it doesn't address the fact that STI let the gun go out like that.  Other than than, the pistol was nice and tight.  The trigger was exactly 3.5 lbs and crisp.  

If you order a factory built STI, just count on doing some work to it.  Well, I am off to Florida.  Take care.

Jack

Spend a little more and get a "Benny Gun" (Triangle Shooting Sports.)  I have a 6" light weight he built for me this fall with some extra metal removed from the slide via an elongated port.  It's lighter than a Lexor, and if you need extra weight for your style of shooting, you can add a tungsten guide rod.   When you reach my age, the extra sight radius is a plus also.  He has reasonable turn-around times and good prices.

Chris,

What would you get on it is the important question. The sights and trigger are about the only thing that really matter to me on any well built gun. As long as it shoot strait and everytime, the rest is personal taste so I would trust Benny if you don't know what you want. He probably know what works well together.

I too have ordered a gun from Benny.

-STI Frame (standard dustcover)

-Caspian Classic Slide round w/flattop 20lpi flutes (stirrup and panel cuts)

-Hard Chrome finish

-BoMar rear / .100" fiber front

-Shuemann Ultimatch barrel

-Aftec extractor

-Alfaro stippled grips

-Tungsten guide rod

-SV hammer, square, "xcelerator"

-SV sear

-STI stainless magwell

-SV insert style trigger

Benny seems to be a no BS kinda guy.

He talked me out of a few things that in his opinion and experience make a gun less reliable.  

"..we want this gun to be your best friend.." he said.

I hope to have the gun within 2 months.

I'll give you guys a review and a few pictures as soon as I get it.

Hay guys everybody builds a lemon, now and then. My edge is a year old,15k or more! and been flawless! I had mag problems in the beginng but the wright springs make a differance. People allways tell about the BAD ones! and often forget about the GOOD ones! Mine is very GOOD!             Thanks splK