Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil Spring Weight For 165-170pf In 45acp

alzo

I load 5 gr Clays with a Precision 230 gr bullet. I use a 14# spring with a shok buff in my 5" Wilson.

5gr Clays? You sure? :blink:

I'm loading 4.0 Clays with a Precision 230 gr to make major from a 4" model 625.

I don't think that I would want to hold it with 5.0.

• 3 weeks later...
I just had a problem running a 14# spring and a buff. The gun would not release the slide if racking from slide lock. I removed the buff and all worked as it should.

My question is if your running lower than a 14# spring and a buff can you rack your slide from slide lock?

Try cutting a coil or two from the recoil spring when using shok buffs. That would solve the problem. :)

I just had a problem running a 14# spring and a buff. The gun would not release the slide if racking from slide lock. I removed the buff and all worked as it should.

My question is if your running lower than a 14# spring and a buff can you rack your slide from slide lock?

Try cutting a coil or two from the recoil spring when using shok buffs. That would solve the problem. :)

The number of coils on the recoil spring has no bearing on being able to slingshot the slide with a shock buff, it is the lost of room between the front of the slide & the spring guide. Adding the buff may cause spring stack which is eliminated by cutting coils. To see this effect insert only the rear of the spring guide, pull the slide to the rear and mark a line on the slide & frame. Add a shock buff & check the line again, there should be a difference equal to the shock buff.

Just my $.02 worth.....I avoid buffs like the plague!!! I haven't found one yet that won't disintegrate in less rounds than I'll shoot in a match (No smart comments about me having to take too many shots <_< !!!). Other than for shortening the "stroke" of the slide, I see no purpose for them. In competition we are not running ammo so hot that there should be a frame battering problem. Plus I have had them come apart and just really make a mess of things --- those little pieces of polymer will get into the damndest places :blink: !!!

Plus I have had them come apart and just really make a mess of things --- those little pieces of polymer will get into the damndest places :blink: !!!

After going to the safe area to remove a partially disintegrated buffer that had jammed my gun, I won't run them again.

• 10 years later...