Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problems With Dillon Xl 650

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2006 at 9:45 PM, Rico567 said:

I"m mystified by claims that some people can't remove the primer punch with a 9/16" wrench. There's not much room to maneuver up in there, but I just grabbed a well used old combination wrench in that size, and it works fine. I really use the wrench only to make sure the punch is tight or to break it loose. I do most of the insertion and removal with my fingers.

Exactly what I do.

If anyone has had this problem please holler.
If you will look at the Picture to the left I am having problems getting MY Dillon to line up with the cases. I have spent 20 hours checking and re checking. I had the local pro stop over and he just scratched his head. I have changed every part and timed the machine every time. This is happening on ALL cal. we have used.
Could you guys look at your press when loading, check station 2 powder/flaring action.  Just as the cases come into contact with the flare tool there is a miss alignment on MINE.
Would just love some feed back on if your cases tilt to the left as the tool goes into case.
I found a way to solve this problem but Dillon is focused on the alignment tool and not the problem/solution . They think it is an alignment problem and it is NOT. Their tool only adjusts Orientation of the platform and the tool head. After doing the (alignment) with their tool 20 times with all my cal.s I find that if I take out the front Tool head pin and push the thing in .019" all is good. BUT with the tool head pushed over I can not get their ALIGNMENT TOOL TO WORK.????????   I am just putting a C clamp on the toolhead and life is GOOD.
Thanks for any Ideas
Thanks for checking you machines.
PS I love Dillon and all but 1 guy there.
Bless N zzzzzz
thumbnail.thumb.jpg.b46277096ce92767b2cde85f9286a6bb.jpg

Grab the platform and twist it. You will see the crank rotate at the location as marked in the picture. You should be able to shim it to take up some of the excess tolerance. I’ve noticed this in my press as well, I can watch the powder funnel insert into the brass off center and other times it will be centered. It’s intermittent. I haven’t corrected mine as I don’t really see any benefit at this time. My ammo is fine.
54ac7c1330eedd3764d3ab22d51b92b5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/5/2006 at 4:12 AM, Skywalker said:

Had the same problem a few weeks ago, and was wondering the same.

If I recall correctly, I had to remove the primer chute (element 3, P/N 16210 on page 52 of the user manual) to make enough room for a wrench.

My open end fits right in

Just now, cvincent said:

Grab the platform and twist it. You will see the crank rotate at the location as marked in the picture. You should be able to shim it to take up some of the excess tolerance. I’ve noticed this in my press as well, I can watch the powder funnel insert into the brass off center and other times it will be centered. It’s intermittent. I haven’t corrected mine as I don’t really see any benefit at this time. My ammo is fine.
54ac7c1330eedd3764d3ab22d51b92b5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No slop

10 hours ago, Service Desk said:

Try a different toolhead...as has been suggested. The powder-thru die has some clearance from the insert, so once the case hits the taper on the insert it should pull the insert into alignment... 19 thou is a big ask though !

Changed tool heads 7 time this last week. All are the same. Changed platform twice SAME.

Edited by dwfish

6 hours ago, dwfish said:

Changed tool heads 7 time this last week. All are the same. Changed platform twice SAME.

Well that should rule out the tool head....try tightening up the nuts at the lower linkage. My oldest 650 used to move the platform anticlockwise on the upstroke and once I nipped up the nuts it was like new again. YMMV

On 12/21/2017 at 1:27 PM, dwfish said:

I use win, primers ONLY and they works great. A buddy used the loader for his 38 super and he put CCI s in and you could not even feel them seat. Was so smooth.

You could call Dillon and they will give you an alignment tool FREE.

Check the size of seater you are using and check the timeing, AND just look and see if the primer seater is aligned with the shell plate .

Blessings

Oddly enough, that necro-post was with primers from that time period (2006).. I've tried CCI primers lately and had no issues with them..

I know a few people who I've suggested they try the Fiocchi primers on their 650's only to have them tell me they are having the same feeding issues I used to have with CCI primers.. I have no issues in either my 20 year old 650 or my 2016 created 650. it wasn't an alignment issue at all, they would not feed in the primer assembly, the primers were just a tad tall. it wasn't that they would not seat at the time, they just would not feed and would bind the machine. I've not had this issue since Federal and CCI became the same company.

Edited by sargenv

On 12/30/2017 at 6:57 PM, Dirtchevy841 said:

That’s crazy. Cci is all I use. 

That was a post I made over 11 years ago.. and was with the pre-Federal/CCI merger. Since they merged companies, I no longer have any issues as stated in a more recent post above.

1 minute ago, sargenv said:

That was a post I made over 11 years ago.. and was with the pre-Federal/CCI merger. Since they merged companies, I no longer have any issues as stated in a more recent post above.

Damn this thread is 11 years old. Thanks for making me feel old now ? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2014 at 2:11 PM, Saltywheels said:

Had a 550 for many many thousand rounds. Just got my 650 & am struggling mightily with problems. Am using the same Dillon 45ACP dies, same cases & same Win primers I used for years on the 550:

1: Cannot fully seat large Winchester primers. Dillon advised me to ensure that the return rod on the Powder measure was not overtightened as that would restrict the movement of shell plate. Done. No luck. I hate doing this, but have to put primed empty cases back in Station2 & try to gently push the primer further in. No luck. How serious are non-flush primers? Will they even feed?

2:Just dont seem to be able to bell the case mouth the right amt (?). If I over flare, the completed round wont fit the case gauge. If I flare a minimum, the case eats into the bullet.NEVER had this problem with a zillion rounds on the 550. I know--I know-operator error. But what the bleep am I doing wrong suddenly???

3: Powder check seems messy & 'splaters' powder on the shell plate as it moves up. Do I have it adjusted too deep?

Appreciate hearing back.

DO NOT shoot high primers in ANY gun.  BOOM possible or will lock the gun up.!!