Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poll: How Many Chronographs Have You Murdered?

I didn't kill my CED, but I did cut a groove into the rear sensor. (It still works perfectly fine-- just missing a tiny little scoop of plastic!)

I was loading up 5 rounds at a time, shooting on my makeshift sandbags across the hood of my car and into the berm. It was brutally hot, and I was starting to lose the ideal lighting conditions, so I upped the ante to 15 rounds at a time. Going too fast, and for some reason holding very low to the sensors, I called a trigger jerk and didn't think any thing of it. The next shot registered at 3000 FPS, with a "rear sensor" error.

Made the gun safe, went down range to look and saw the scoop. It had pushed the sensor back about 1/4", but didn't occlude the sensor or do any other damage. Pretty lucky, and I definitely don't rush the process anymore!

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 :sight:

I was chrono'ing different pistols that day. Started off with my M&P Pro, about a 2 1/2lb trigger. then my G35, about a 3lb trigger. Lastly, my SV Limited gun. As I was pressing out (and yes I know you dont have to prep the trigger on a chrono, just habbit)I squeezed off a round pressing my 1 1/2 lb trigger taking out the 2 left side rods.

• 2 months later...

Still using the same Competition Electronics Pro-Tach I bought new and have only nicked the cardboard screens. (Probably very bad ju-ju to say that out loud!)

Most memorable cronograph moment was helping (heckling) a friend while he was crono'ing his 12ga over a crony sitting on a fence post. First shot and the crony was a dozen feet behind the post. Using F=MA we calculated that he was running about 1150 fps. :roflol:

None so far. I'm really paranoid about it, especially when shooting rifle. I'm always concerned about "scope view" vs. "bore view" at such a short distance so I put the rifle in a lead sled and then check and recheck. Sometimes I'll look down the line of the outside of the barrel, or pull the bolt and look down the barrel.

Of course, now that I've said all this my chrono is as good as dead. ;)

Most memorable cronograph moment was helping (heckling) a friend while he was crono'ing his 12ga over a crony sitting on a fence post. First shot and the crony was a dozen feet behind the post. Using F=MA we calculated that he was running about 1150 fps. :roflol:

Well, that's definitely one way to use a chronograph to figure out bullet velocity. :lol:

So how many people here were around when one actually had to shoot the chronograph, err I mean ballistic pendulum?

Best chrono destruction i've seen. We're setting up a match and a club member arrives and wants to chrono his shotgun with his new CED ProChrono. "Go away, the ranges are closed". He winged and whined so much we let him shoot over it. First round -- 12 ga straight through the front of his Chrono. No photo because there wasn't really anything left. He collected the bits and left without saying anything. We didn't feel the need to say anything either.

Where's our club Chrono right now?. Bit ill to say the least -- a member borrows our Shooting Chrony and puts a 308 rifle round exactly through the little target in the "O" of Chrony. I've repaired it, but it hasn't worked so well since. He is very experienced and should have had a clue that the barrel and the scope aren't exactly aligned.

• 2 months later...

Shot the upright for the sunscreen of my Competition Pro Chronograph because it was getting late and dark and I was hoping I would get the last reading of the day.. Luckily I found the exact steel rod at my local hardware store. chronograph is good as new.

• 2 weeks later...

I really hope that if you selected 5+ you were not answering the question truthfully.

i really hope that you can shoot threw the chrono. it is not a uspsa stage were you have to try and shoot really really fast.

I really hope that if you selected 5+ you were not answering the question truthfully.

i really hope that you can shoot threw the chrono. it is not a uspsa stage were you have to try and shoot really really fast.

It's not in the realm of the impossible. Given 20 years in a sport and killing a chrono by accident every 4 years...

It's not in the realm of the impossible. Given 20 years in a sport and killing a chrono by accident every 4 years...

so you are saying shooting a chrono is like a traffic ticket, your points get reset every couple of years. at what point does you license get taken away.?

I kill my rear CED sensor Friday, they come a part real good at 1400 fps with a dead center hit, no picture I was to mad at the time, the good thing it was on the last string for the day so not all was lost. I have giving my Chrony flesh wound before, but this was bad.

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that it may make sense to just fire rounds while resting the gun on a sandbag. Of course, that is in hindsight after I've killed a sensor a couple of years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

i murdered an infrared sidearm on a ced chrono last week, next time i better look where i shoot instead of watching the screen and shooting simultaniously

On my CED, if I'll be there for an extended session, I learned turn on the "voice" function to have it call out it's readings to me. It let's me focus on the sights and not have to keep changing views/positions.

• 2 months later...