Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poll: How Many Chronographs Have You Murdered?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has LadyInBlue voted yet? :ph34r:

Yes Z, I just voted. I am guilty of shooting 1 chrono...but I did shoot it twice to put it out of its misery. :D

~Nanci~

Well done then, never nice to let something suffer unnecessarily :)

Yes I am guilty of murder and the Chrony deservered it for all the error readings. This was after marking the uprights for optimum height and doing everything the instructions said to do. As a guy I shouldn't have to read instructions and anything that requires that I read them deserves to DIE.

I haven't killed or wounded a chrono, yet. However, I had never blown up a gun with a bad reload and I did it a couple of months back. :o

Guess there's always a first time for everything...

I've (knock on wood) managed so far to spare the lives of any poor, defenseless, innocent, bystander chronographs. :rolleyes: Of course, that could all change tomorrow and probably will. :o

The approach I use seems to help avoid this embarrassing problem. I simply set up my Chrony Beta Master (mounted on a tripod) so that the top of the case is even with the table I rest the pistol upon. I then move the tripod about 8 feet away on level ground.

I then post a bull’s-eye target four inches above the sensor directly behind the tripod. Using this approach, when you rest the pistol on the table and fire it, the bullet passes just about four inches above the sensor which is just about perfect. When using a pistol with iron sights, I simply line it up with the bull’s-eye. If I am using an optical dot sight, I aim two inches higher to account for the mount height. It is really pretty easy to keep all the rounds in the 1-inch bull’s-eye at 8 feet. I usual aim the first shot about an inch higher just to make sure and then lower the flight path accordingly.

I also use an IPSC target with the white side down on top of the support rods which I made out of cheap brass rod to mimic the length of the OEM components. If I should inadvertently hit the 50 cent target or 75 cent rod by accident, there is really no harm done.

This is not a fool proof method but so far it has worked for me. :)

The first few times I used my chronograph I set up a steel plate in front if it. This did not prevent me from wounding one of the sky screen supports but I did have peice of mind about not being a chronokiller.

I think using a steel plate is a good begginner tip.

George

The first few times I used my chronograph I set up a steel plate in front if it. This did not prevent me from wounding one of the sky screen supports but I did have peice of mind about not being a chronokiller.

George

George --- I don't know about that. I'd rather shoot my chrono sensors with a bullet than a steel plate eight feet in front of me....

George

George --- I don't know about that. I'd rather shoot my chrono sensors with a bullet than a steel plate eight feet in front of me....

Ohh, good point Nik. In my own defense, I had the plate at about 15 feet, I know that's not much differant but it didn't "feel" to close at the time.

George

I have never killed a chrono :)

However I was witness to the savage murder of my faithfull chrono of 19 years :(

I am having it cryogenicly preserved in hopes of new pick ups being available in the future :lol:

Jim

Is it resting next to Ted Williams? :ph34r:

However I was witness to the savage murder of my faithfull chrono of 19 years :(

I am having it cryogenicly preserved in hopes of new pick ups being available in the future :lol:

Jim

Oh puhleeeeze...you talk about it like it was your favorite dog. Now for the 17 years that we had not been shooting, did you take the utmost care of that device...feeding, petting, exercise? Or did you leave it in the gun room collecting dust and being tossed about? You're just looking for sympathy! And no, you cannot put it in the deepfreeze.

~Nanci~

ps. Sweetheart, you spelled faithful wrong. :wub:

The first two I shot. First one with a .40 S&W and the second with a .223. My bad. :(

The third one was blown over by a sudden gust of wind and stopped functioning immediately after impact with the ground! Go figure. Maybe my bad again. :rolleyes:

Jim

Oh puhleeeeze...you talk about it like it was your favorite dog. Now for the 17 years that we had not been shooting, did you take the utmost care of that device...feeding, petting, exercise? Or did you leave it in the gun room collecting dust and being tossed about? You're just looking for sympathy! And no, you cannot put it in the deepfreeze.

~Nanci~

ps. Sweetheart, you spelled faithful wrong. :wub:

Tofu

Tofu

Tofu

you two are great.

• 3 weeks later...

I found out the hard way, that when you change the diode in your C More, you may need to re zero. As I confidently fired my first shot over the CED, with a crowd watching, and sending parts in all directions, I could still here the laughs and roars of comedy, as I said the words......that's strange.......I fired a second shot, as if to nilify my first action, and hit the back screen. I looked around confused, ashamed, and embarased, when it dawned on me what I had done.....Lesson learnt.....I hope...... :lol: