Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poll: How Many Chronographs Have You Murdered?

A buddy of mine just started shooting USPSA and reloading for pistol. While checking his first batch of loads he put a .45 through the front sensor of my CED chrono :unsure: . He was pretty angry with himself and I tried to make him feel better by telling him that everyone eventually puts one through a chrono, I've even killed one! :blink::ph34r:

So I just wanted to put up a poll to see how many chronographs you guys have either brained (shot the electronic guts) or wounded (shot the skyscreens or uprights)?

-Shawn

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine's been MURDERED twice neither time it was me (loaned out). I did see it get shot once though right through the sensor (front) on a CED Millennium.

It seems the first thing many do when they get no reading is try to shoot "closer" to the sensors. Why is that?

Edited by Crusher

I've only killed one by my hand. I've lost three due to other people.

It seems the first thing many do when they get no reading is try to shoot "closer" to the sensors. Why is that?

A guy that use to shoot with us 20 years ago, killed two of Tommy Weston's at Area 4. The RO told him to keep aiming lower, in the hopes of getting a reading. After the second one bit the dust, Tommy declared Wayne's 45 to be minor. :huh:

If you switch to IR, then the problems with no reading goes away.

Kenny

I've shot the sky screen supports on a couple, but never killed one.

1 was due to crap shooting, the other was being too lazy to adjust for the 2nd 300 yard target.

These days I just pick a spot on the berm to shoot and haven't even threatened a chrono.

I've managed to shoot the sky screens on my PACT twice now. The last time I somehow managed to get both with one shot. Guess I've learned, because I haven't hit any for over 10 years now. I also bought 2 extra screens just in case.

Count me in as a wounder, rather then a killer :blink:

I'm on my second set of diffuser hoods (sun shades) for my chrono. I had a bad experience with a snub-nosed revolver that shot high...very high...very very high, with the load that I was working on.

That time I only hit one of the hoods. So, wanting to finish getting the results, I tried just one more cylinder full...and that took care of the second hood.

Since then I have been fortunate. AND I check to see where the gun and load hits, before I fire it over the chrono. Holes in paper beat holes in chrono, every time.

Many years ago I loaned out my PACT setup for a charity shoot. The match director set up the chrono in a spare bay with someone to run it at scheduled times.

A local yokel drove up (not a participant or even a club member) and decided to chono his handgun loads. Noone there to say no, so that makes it fair game.

He shot both skyscreens and my tripod. We caught him headed back to his pickup. When confronted, his reply was "guess it was pretty stupid of you folks to leave it just sitting out there, wasn't it".

Many years ago I loaned out my PACT setup for a charity shoot. The match director set up the chrono in a spare bay with someone to run it at scheduled times.

A local yokel drove up (not a participant or even a club member) and decided to chono his handgun loads. Noone there to say no, so that makes it fair game.

He shot both skyscreens and my tripod. We caught him headed back to his pickup. When confronted, his reply was "guess it was pretty stupid of you folks to leave it just sitting out there, wasn't it".

:wacko: Man that guy had some nerve!

First round through a brand new Pact chrono, I nicked the skyscreen support. Talk about slapping the trigger.

Ever since then, I stopped using the skyscreens. The skyscreens have caused me more trouble with getting a reading than it is worth. I just set up the chrono in the shade or set up something to cover the chrono. Not having skyscreens makes you much more aware of where the sensors are.

• 1 month later...

One of the first things I did with my chrony is to add an electric tape band at the optimum low and high point on each of the sky screen supports. Gives me something to focus on, and (knock on wood) I have yet to shoot a sensor or screen.

Forum member joseywales has killed at least 1 that I know of.... :lol:

Me, only one, so far... edited to add... but I killed the same one twice in the same day... :D:lol:

Edited by XRe

• 5 months later...

I voted two. One took a 9mm right thru the guts. The second was a supprise. I was chronographing a Shaprs (repo) 45-70. The bullet went exactly where it was supposed to go but I forgot the cardboard wad under the bullet. The cardoard wad smacked the readout window and caved it in taking care of the LED readout.

I've only shot the uprights on one chrono, but I did it three times before I found a new way to use it.

My problem is that my outdoor rifle and pistol range has an extended roof. The shade under the roof is enough to keep the chrono from working properly. It wants to be out in the light. The light, however, is out far enough to make it imperative for me to pay careful attention to my sight picture to ensure I don't hit the uprights. Sometimes my concentration slips a bit.

I solved the problem, sort of, by only using the chrono when I have the range to myself. I put out the combat signs, the only way we're allowed to shoot forward of the normal firing line, put the chrono in the sun and move close enough to it that getting shots through the uprights is no longer much of a challange. Of course, I can't always have the range to myself, sometimes making it more difficult to test my latest reloading forumlas. Such is life.

I considered getting a lighting sytem for my chrono, but the one the company makes requires 110 volt power and is made of cardboard. I just can't bring myself to pay good money for a cardboard light and sky screen setup that has to be plugged in. I'm seriously considering fabricating something myself. Plastic is pretty easy to work with and there's a variety of battery operated lights to choose from.

Lee