Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eat Your Heart Out

bountyhunter

In a new book I got from Wilson on shooting, it shows Rob Leatham doing a speed reload.  The gun is canted to the side, the mag is dropping and he is pulling out the new mag.  Did I mention the brass from the last shot is only about 18" above the gun hanging in the air at this point?  The text says he typically has times under one second between hits (with a reload in between).

That's genuinely scary.

You didn't mention that that picture shows him using a single stack 1911. Its easier to hit the wel on a double stack, so to be pulling sub-one second reloads on that pesky little hole is really impressive.

A good idea how good Rob is, with that single stack frame 6" .45, was shown to me last year at the Area 1 championship. I had the good fortune to shoot on the same squad as TGO. Still photos do not do him justice. Not only did he win Lim 10 against others using hi cap frames, but he also beat all the Limited hi-cap shooters and all but 3 or 4 Open shooters!!! Thats impressive!!

Pat

Remember Rob's reloads on the old Shooter Ready tape from Dillon? He was plugging along making 1.6 to 1.8 second reloads and remarked something to the effect that those reloads wouldn't set the world on fire but you wouldn't "lose matches" with reloads like that. Now he does them in half that time. Do you think he watered them down in the tape to make us mere mortals feel good about ourselves?

Pat:

Yeah, I agree with you about the solid reloads. In that tape Rob was also shooting the El Pres in under 5 seconds and he darn sure wasn't taking half that time on the reload.

On the other hand, it would be interesting to know if he has actually gotten faster on the reload from then to now. It would give hope to us middle age shooters. Of course, only Rob Leatham can tell us for sure.

Talking about reloads, I noticed that I'm doing this:

sight picture, bang, sight lift, SIGHT PICTURE, reload

If you could call your shots then would it be wise to do this:

sight pic, bang, sight lift, reload ?

Probably cut around .1-.2 sec? Not sure if I'm making any sense though. Just thinking out loud.

My wife took a pic of TGO with a digital camera at the FGN's. She pressed the button when she heard the buzzer. The pic shows Robbie's slide all the way back with 2 pieces of brass in the frame. It is truly a great shot of the Great One, being Great! I would post it here if I knew how. If anybody wants to see it, let me know and I'll e-mail it to ya.

here it is:

tgoss.jpg

SS said "She pressed the button when she heard the buzzer. The pic shows Robbie's slide all the way back with 2 pieces of brass in the frame".  

Tell your better half I think she needs to spend some time on timer reaction drills.  If she snapped at the buzzer, she should have been able to snap that shot well before TGO could have drawn that weapon and fired two rounds.  Oh, don't bother to tell me how she responds.....I can guess.  ;-}

LMAO.

Thats what I thought Chris. Then I played with the cam some. It is not that fast. But Robbie IS! The pic was taken on stage 18 where we shot through the window at the steel to activate the swinger. The start position was hands on the table. He shot that popper 3 times. If She or the cam would have been a tenth slower, there would have been 3 pieces of brass in the frame.

Is Rob the guy I saw on the tape that Para Ordnance sends out with all their new guns?  I thought it was.  Whoever was on that tape, I remember trying to use the slo-mo on my VCR to see the hand movements during the reload and I gave up because it was all blurred out.  I was trying to see how he shifted his hand to get to the mag release button.

I'll bet the tape is of Todd Jarrett (sponsered by Para)I  think he has the fastest reload. I saw for years he didn't even use a big stick.

PS Chris, Its probably a Glock. Upgrade to Racegun, Just kidding couldn't resist

(Edited by BSeevers at 7:09 pm on Sep. 6, 2002)

Quote: from cpty1 on 2:53 pm on Sep. 6, 2002

I should have known it was equipment deficiency as opposed to that of Mrs. Singlestack.  Sounds like its time for an action job on that camera, maybe a lighter spring, how bout a dot....?  Hmmm.

Oh crap Chris!

You konw that I just won't be able to leave it stock now! I never thought of that!

Now about that dot. Do ya think a slide ride.......