Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Draw to stable sight picture vs reload

InTheBlack

When I draw, there is a 'wobbling' or 'figure 8-ing' of the muzzle prior to my being able to get it indexed on target with a sight picture.  However, when I do a reload, I slap in the magazine, regain my grip, and when I rotate the gun back to vertical usually the sights are right in front of my eye and the muzzle is nicely indexed on the target (but with some vertical motion that needs to be stilled).

This is an IDPA draw/equipment, not some slick rig.

Hints on getting the draw stabilized faster?  I perceive that I have somewhat of a Weaver alignment of my arm, ie the gun isn't in front of my sternum but somewhat to the strong side.  The act of drawing requires a Bill Jordan type sideways hip rock, so I'm thinking that the problem has to do with getting my body straightened again.

This may seem counterintuitive but you have to slow down the draw at the end. All the speed is getting your hand to hit, clearing the holster, and getting it out in front of you. At that point, you smoothly present it to the target. It feels horribly slow the first several times you try it, but the first hit is better and the timer doesn't lie, it is faster.

What Erik said. Basically, the draw is a continuously-decreasing-speed motion. Get all the excess motion, like getting your upper body back in alignment, over with as soon as possible so by the time the gun is pushing out nothing is moving but the gun. And then practice forever.

be

You might also try to work the draw backwards.

1) From a ready position, push the gun out softly like others mentioned.  When you have this down.

2) Holster the gun, hand on gun, draw, push gun out softly.

3) Gun holstered, hands off gun, put it all together.  

Repeat as necessary :)

This helped me a lot....  Start a slow speed to get the technique, then speed up...

Quick q, when doing the last phase of slowing down, I take it your trigger finger is already on the trigger if not prepping it already for the first shot, right?

Reason I ask is because recently I've been trying to pay attention to my triger finger.  Trying to feel at w/c instant it makes contact with the trigger. I realized it never does until after I acquired a sight pricture.  So I'm experimenting with the trigger prep during presentation and cut about .1sec in my dry fire draws.  I'm wary, however, of AD's so it'll be several days more of dry fires before I try it at the range. :) Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Quote: from Million Mom on 5:20 pm on Dec. 15, 2002

I always trained for reality, and the reality is that if you have to make a truly fast draw and shoot a man, it will probably be at the range of 3 ft or less, and you will gut-shoot him. Or you will be engaging an attacking dog. So I always taught myself to disengage the safety, and "finger' the trigger, BEFORE clapping the support hand on the gun, but of course, that's after the gun comes-level, and is started on its forward journey. Quite often, guys arent applying the support hand-arm tension as the gun comes up, but rather, they do so at the point when they should be firing. So the gun wobbles from the change in tension on it. The tension being applied earlier, helps you to stop the draw stroke where you will, with the trigger "set" to be tripped at that instant.

Yeah but that will likley get you sent home from a match early, the later you get on the trigger the better. I don't touch it 'til I'm at extension, you can't win if your forced to leave early

I have found in both IDPA and IPSC that most stages run at least 3 targets and a majority over that. As a result, speed at transitioning is more important than a fast draw. So, good hand to gun contact pays off. You will also note most stages are at a longer range than hand shaking distance, so you will in all probabilty bring your gun to eye level anyway, so hip shooting has no real value.

Make sure you have the 'perfect' grip when drawing as if you do not, you will have to keep shooting with the poor grip and that will affect times and scores in either IDPA or IPSC.

Deaf