Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Recoil Springs

ParaJoe

I wasn't sure if this was the place being as I am talking about springs or if it should have gone in the Glock forum, but if I'm wrong someone will move it. Anywho, I busted my factory guiderod in my G22 and bought a stainless steel one to replace it. Along with it I bought a 13lb and 15lb ISMI spring. I put the 13lb in it and ran about 50 rounds through it no problem. Same with the 15 pounder. I liked the feel of the 13lb better. Which one should I use? The 13 or 15. Sorry, I'm new to playing with springs.

JOe

Well when I put the 15lb spring in it was REALLY long. Right around an inch and a quarter longer than the 13lb'er. It also smashed when the slide went all the way back. From what I interpreted through the vast amount of info on this site, smashing the spring is bad. So I ended up hacking off four coils, one at a time, until it fit in there without binding (I think that's the term.) It then felt the same as the 13lb spring when racking the slide. But not when shooting it. Please correct me if I am wrong, have ruined my 15lb spring, or am being a moron.

Edit.. I didn't chop the 13lb. It worked like a champ.

JOe

Edited by ParaJoe

I tried both 13# and 15# ISMI springs in my Glock 34 and Glock 35. They shoot softer, but the trade off in reliability was not worth it for me. After a couple malfunctions in matches I finally realized that the stock guide rod is the best. Gun works every time!

• 3 weeks later...

i have a ismi guide rod and 13 and 15lb spring, the 13 seems to not fully go into battery, the 15 with minor loads seems to barely eject the cases and i have had jams with both.

it is a glock 35..now i am unsure myself. should i go back to the factory setup?

I run a 13# ISMI with a couple of coils cut for major and a 10# spring for minor in my G35. Never had a problem with either.

How light is your striker spring?

DaG

i have a ismi guide rod and 13 and 15lb spring, the 13 seems to not fully go into battery, the 15 with minor loads seems to barely eject the cases and i have had jams with both.

it is a glock 35..now i am unsure myself. should i go back to the factory setup?

If I let the slide go lightly on mine in won't go into battery with the 13lb spring. It needs force or the speed of it slamming shut when firing to work. I'm shooting a G22 so I cannot directly to your problems. Did you cut any coils yet?

Joe

I used a 13 lb spring and reduced power striker spring in my G34 for 3 years, but it only ran about 98%-one or two light firing pin strikes in every 100-120 round match. I liked the way it felt but it just was not reliable enough. The 13 lb spring with the stock striker spring failed to go into battery at about the same rate (once or twice in 120 rounds). Iv'e now gone back to both springs stock-100% now. But, I shoot limited major with a G35 with 15 lb recoil spring and reduced power striker and it runs perfectly. So whatever works for you.

• 4 years later...

Correct me if I am wrong.. But the 17 pound springs(stock) were used for high power ammo like law enforcement jhp ammo that has a power factor of 180 plus.. So I see most guys going less.. I've seen 15# and as low as 13# in limited glocks..

Moderator note: I merged the latest thread into this one, and bumped up a few more threads that were related.

Please do a search and posting in an existing thread before starting a new thread, when possible.

- Admin.

• 2 months later...

I currently use an ismi 13 pound spring on a stock glock guide rod with a lightened trigger spring (vanek)in my glock 35 - shooting minor pf loads (IDPA is the only game available to me). It works 100% - with federal primers - light strikes 1-2 out of 100 with winchester primers.

I just spent a session with my bone - stock out of the box g27 with the same load (180g berry's 2.9g clays) and it was 100% for 400 rounds.

When I first started using this load with the g35 and a standard trigger, it was 100% with 17,15, and 13 pound springs. The 13 just "felt" best.

Anyway, I wonder if the fast powder/heavy bullet combo might be a factor in making the gun more reliable through the range of different spring weights. (maybe a sharp jolt at the beginning of ignition makes the slide more repeatable than a steady push?)