Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eye Snap, Target Spot

Flyin40

"The need to "try" to go fast is long gone."

I am really focusing on getting this done. It is really proving hard for me to let go of the "need for speed."

The last couple of yrs I was really focused on trying to see without having a full understanding of what seeing is all about. Each of the last 2 yrs my goal at the beginning of the yr has to become more accurate. Each yr it was put on the back burner. There were so many things to learn in shooting Uspsa that I couldn't work on everything. The difference this yr was I am confident in my abilities when it comes to the fundamentals and advanced stuff. I was able to get rid of all that baggage I was carry around each match. Worry about movements, stage breakdown, how "fast" I shot a stage, shooting on the move, shooting entering and exiting positions, transitions and splits. All this "stuff" clouded my mind and kept me from seeing. For me it was necessary to work on that other stuff first. Now I don't think about all that other stuff at all except for stage breakdown. I'll think about how I will shoot a stage but not alot. I know when I come into a position I'll be shooting. Once I realized this my mind has a calm that I haven't had before while shooting. I believe it comes from the confidence in my abilities that lets my mind take care of seeing. When I started seeing I was able to start calling shots without the "need for speed". One shot at a time. I think in another yr I'll another level of understanding to this topic.

Flyin

• 1 month later...

It's funny how we all want to work on the 'non-shooting' aspects of the game which usually lead to the "wanna-be-speedy" mentality. Everything seems to work out better when you start shooting with your eyes. With confidence comes patience. With patience comes the ability to call all of your shots, for me anyways.

Nice. Nobody ever gets to see the eyes. And, the eyes are the biggest part of this game.

Shooters that watch the big dogs don't get to see the eyes...and copy that. They just see what they think is speed gunning. So, they speed gun. :(

Nice. Nobody ever gets to see the eyes. And, the eyes are the biggest part of this game.

Shooters that watch the big dogs don't get to see the eyes...and copy that. They just see what they think is speed gunning. So, they speed gun. :(

Seeing the big dogs shoot at area match, I noticed the intensity in their eyes when they shot, being close enough as the RO. Nice reminder of what's important.

I had the best practice to date when it comes with eye snap, target spot. I was practicing on Steel which I pretty much never ever do. Basically just shot the steel like a steel challenge stage. I'm not sure if it was that I was shooting steel as much is it was shooting 1 shot per target. I'll be doing this drill again this week.

Great pic of the eye snap B)

Flyin

another example of eye snap from PK's great photo gallery, this even before the head movement of the previous pics (note the same shooter & RO are reversed from previous pics)

http://www.multigunmedia.com/p1058187306/?photo=518025706

the target array included a non-standard swinger which gave advantage to those who could call their last shot and eye snap to start tracking movement of the swinger

eye snap example

That is a very good question.

On a plate rack, where the targets are close (and they are also evenly spaced)...you are going to have to explore a bit.

I don't call those "real transitions"...even though they are. I call them "muzzle bump transitions".

I don't think muzzle bump transitions are good for practicing the eye-snap. For practicing the eye-snap, I'd suggest starting out with targets that are spread apart pretty good. Mix them up...near, far, high, low...whatever.

While you can work the eye-snap on closely spaced targets, it is harder...more advanced. (because it's so easy to cheat with your peripheral vision)

If you must practice your eye-snap in live fire on a plate rack, then don't shoot the plates in order. Mix it up. Make yourself have to locate the target spot with primary visual focus (not sure that is the right terminology, what I mean is...don't just allow your peripheral vision to do the task).