Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CM 99-62

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3.03 this past weekend in Tyler, clean.

It kinda freaked me out because the 1st two steel were still standing when I shot the last steel. Fun little stage. Very doable under 3 with a good draw and not the 1.xx that I hit. It's not that my draw was *that* slow, but I really focused in on that front sight on P1 and the rest took care of itself.

• 2 weeks later...
Limited, 2.81, A-C, 10.32 HF

That was from a pathetic 1.38 draw.

Interestingly enough, it was good enough to win the stage in Limited. Coincidentally, the Open stage winner also ran it with a 1.38 draw. and 11-something HF.

I think I said this before: stay back in the box. With iron sights, make sure you distinguish which popper you're on.

I got a 2.47 with a 1.3 draw 30 points Limited (yes my surrender draw isn't fast, but I generally hit what I mean to, plus I stay more relaxed when I see what I'm doing.)

Shot it for kicks with my new XD Tactical 9mm and a Uncle Mikes holster 3.08 30 points, with an extra shot on the third popper. The trigger added .2 to the draw. I think I need to send it in for a trigger job, shooting that after my SV wasn't easy. I think I'll probably end up dumping a bunch of cash into it and using it for production.

I am not a NPA shooter. I like to see the dang sight lift. 2 seconds shouldn't be super hard with an open gun. If I can take .3 off my draw, and .034 the splits, it shouldn't be that hard. (LOL) I think this one put me into that last 5% category, now the work really begins.

I am not a NPA shooter. I like to see the dang sight lift.

Slight thread drift... Scott, what does seeing a sight lift have to do with knowing and using your Natural Point of Aim?? Did you mean to say you're not a "point shooter" (which is entirely different - shoot w/o sights, etc)?? NPA is used to "set up" - it's the Natural point that your body (and grip, stance, etc) align the gun to, without visual input or conscience direction. You can use it to cause your body to already be pointing at the target, and bring the gun up with the sights closer to alignment, saving time, etc, etc, etc. "Point shooting" is something different - shooting via "feel" alone, w/ little to no sight input (which is a non-recommended practice....). Perhaps a different use of the terms, or something???

Dave, good point. I said NPA when I probably should have said index, or point shooting. I know with my limited gun I could knock .2 off relying on my body position and the hundred thousand draws I've probably done, but...

... I would miss 2 times out of 10, AND my transition times are much faster, and more acurate, if I know (visually) where my bullets are going.

At a certain point, your lower body position doesn't matter too much, in my opinion. What I was trying to say is that I've found if I flush out my mind and let it be blank and and just stare at the spot I want to hit and make sure I see a crisp front sight on each target, it ends up being a faster run than trying to use my form to "get faster." The eyes, seeing the sight lift, keeps me calm and acurate, and the times are faster.

I've found that for me, on these types of stages, if I line up one the center target, twist at the knees and face the left target, everything works better than using NPA on the first a target.

I figured that if I had a good surrender draw that I could do this stage in 2.2 with a limited gun. When I got home I figured I read this thread to see what the going times were. I guess my transitions make up for my draw, and I am seeing a crisp flash of the front sight on every target.

I'll post a vid when I get a chance and you can see me pause to see a good sight picture on the first shot, then I speed it up a bit.

Dave, good point. I said NPA when I probably should have said index, or point shooting.

Cool :) I got it, now.... :)

I've found that for me, on these types of stages, if I line up one the center target, twist at the knees and face the left target, everything works better than using NPA on the first a target.

Me too - puts the whole stage within easy range, etc.

I'll post a vid when I get a chance and you can see me pause to see a good sight picture on the first shot, then I speed it up a bit.

Scott sent me a vid - Looked very smooth. Nice 99.5-ish% classifier :)

• 3 weeks later...
Four Pepper poppers with a single IPSC target in the middle and a little closer than the poppers ----- Shot it for the first time in May, 7.39 seconds, 29 points, HF 3.9242.  

Holy crap --- that was along time ago. Today, Production, 4.93 seconds, A-C with a popper left standing after two (o.k. they were edge) hits ---- of course if fell for calibration. Got pissed, knew I could shoot it better, shot it again for classification only, 4.01 seconds 30 points, 7.4812 HF. Four years make a difference.......

Oh yeah, shot it right to left both times; really burned in the vision the second time; knew it was faster but was amazed at how much faster.....

To Nik's defence that popper was slow and heavy. My loads are around 135PF and those popper fell S..L..O..W.. In fact after hitting the first two I got a bit flustered because I KNEW they where good hits but as I moved to the paper I could still see them standing from the corner of my eye, and I took my eyes off the sights to make sure they were going down. They were, and they got me a Charlie Delta on the paper .. Grrr. I think my time was 3.15 which would make it 65% or so in production, about par for me, a B shooter.

• 1 month later...

Shot this Saturday in Open and Limited.

My Surrender is my WORST draw.

Standard.

2.58 sec / 30 points. 11.62 hf. Ohio says about 95.25 %

Smooth after draw, but about a 1.35 draw. Yick.

Open, same deal only a good draw, and then spent half a fortnight looking for the dot.

2.64 sec, 29 points, 10.98 hf. Ohio says 75%. <_<

We shot this yesterday at my club match.....

2.60 30 Points.....11..???5 Hit factor, For revolver that would be 100% acording to OHIO classifier calculator and I would seem to agree....2.89 with 29 was 96% at USPSA.

But I was shooting in L-10 and that will be 94.7??? in that division.

Erik, smoking good runs......Vision getting better is it???? ;)

Hopalong

(edit to add, timer said draw was 1.23)(and yes I was using the 625)

Edited by hopalong

Who you callin' smokin'? 100% with a roundy round IS smokin'.

yeah bud, I hope the eyes are coming back. I'd say I'm 70% right now. Not as quick to focus, but getting better. Lot of headaches now as I try to force things back into shape. It's amazing how fast you lose it.

We shot almost all surrender classifiers, my worst draw, so I figure those are pretty good scores for a fat, blind guy. ;)

Open I actually made a good snappy grab, but couldn't find the freaking dot. I think it was a 1.40 somthing.

See y'all out there....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can't seem to get away from this classifier.....

Shot it in Memphis today.....

2.57 A/C on the paper.......11.2840 HF

Ohio calculator says that is approximately a 92.5%

Oh yeah, Limited....with a real Benny Hill Blaster !!!!!! ;)

HOP

Watched my good budy Johhny B. shoot a 98.2% in Production with his XD !!! :)

Edited by hopalong

• 4 months later...

Shot this one today. D open 3.76 with 40 points. I missed the second to last poper on the left and had to make it up. Would have been low-mid 3's w/o that miss. Looks like it came in at 55% or something. The draw killed me as i am not used to the new dot.

Shot it right to left by the way.

• 2 months later...