Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Vs 2011?

xxxpongxxx

2011 are High capacity double stack guns ie sviguns.com

1911 are single stack "traditional" pistols.

The main difference is round capacity.

that's it?!?

and i thought that the hi-cap 1911 is still different from the 2011

hahaha!

anyways, thanks for the info!

The 2011's are also more modular, a steel/plastic frame, and doesnt fit in most 1911 holsters. But the operating system is basically the same, if you do not count the fact that some parts are different dimensions to account for the double stack form factor.

as pointed out - dbl stack instead of single stack - mag capacity. :) For me, when switching from one to the other what I notice more than anything else (other than reloading...) is the trigger gaurd on the S_I's are square, and the trigger gaurd on a 'traditional' 1911 is rounded.

Feels totally different.

Both are basically 1911's, but the STI/SVI's are double stack modular frames. Double stack frames take magazines which hold two columns of cartridges. These magazines are no where near as available or inexpensive has single stack 1911 magazines. For example I just purchased 4 10 round Chip McCormick power mags for 18.50 a piece from CDNN. Double stack mags run around 50 bucks to start and nearly all of them require some fitting to function 100%.

STI/SVI's are designed to be assembled by someone who takes the time to make everything right. Nothing sweeter than an STI/SVI running, but they don't work out of the box. Worst thing you could do is drop a substantial amount of money on one of these; it not run our the box, and you end up taking it to your local gun beater. On the other hand if you know a gunsmith who knows the STI/SVIs, it is worth your while if you're ready to dump 2500 dollars on a pistol.

If you don't fall into the 2500 bucks I know I am going to shoot a lot category, you would be better served by getting a single stack 1911, either a Kimber with an internal extractor or a Springfield Amory. Buy some ten round mags and decide if you like shooting competition and this set up with grow with you A LOT. A good friend who is also a gunsmith and has been around since STI's inception gave me this advice and I wish I would have taken it. Single stack guns always sell unless they've been butchered, so you loose a whole lot less money in the deal.

I can't recommend a good gunsmith highly enough. I'm lucky to have one close. Build in at least 100 dollars to every pistol for trigger work/tuning.

100 hahahahahahaha.

It's not that expensive to build a 2011 if you keep it basic. When you factor in that the frame kit comes with a trigger, MSH, Mag catch, grips, screws, and bushings, checkered front strap, it's not that much more than a single stack frame.

A good Wilson Single stack mag is $20 and hold 8, an STI mag is $50 and holds 15. Yeah it's more expensive but not that bad.

Capacity is the main advantage.

this is probably a question a gunsmith who works exclusively on 2011 frames can answer. what is the measurement from the top of the frame to the center of the cross pin hole on a new 2011 frame? i'll assume 1911 specs shouldn't be used as a reference.

more questions to follow after the above question is answered.

tia

Edited by yoshidaex

Just been my experience, yours, obviously, may differ.

I stand by my statement that it would be best to have a competant gunsmith around if you buy a new STI. Yes, it may run perfectly out of the box, especially if its a .45, but try running 9mm major in a 170mm magazine.

Almost every 1911 platform benefits from some tuning.

CHRISJOHN,

I you buliding a 1911 and a 2011 from scratch, say from the Brownells catalog, the only difference in cost will be the additional $150-$200 extra that you pay for the 2011 frame. You will recoup some of that when you consider that you will have to do far less machine work to fit the parts to the new frame. The 2011 is already cut for the beavertail and is ready to go with checkering.

The remaining parts and procedures to build the gun are identical. Even the magazines are a "wash". When I shot single stack, I carried 5-7 magazines to the line. With a doublestack I carry 2 or 3.

No meaningful difference in cost and no difference in the reliability.

Chrisjohn,

9 major as it relates to magazine feeding is a whole different issue than a stock S-I running out of the box. Are you suggesting that single stack's run 9 major just fine out of the box ?????:o