RAZZ

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You should be fine. I shot about 2000 rounds of master blaster through my G35 when I first started upsa.

The main reason I stopped useing lead was due to the smoke cloud that it made during long arrays. I made it almost impossible to see the targets.

• 2 years later...

Lots of previous threads around on this topic. I will add that I do shoot moly coated lead in my Glock 34 without issue. I've used both Precision and Black Bullet International I favor the BBI, they are available and clean up easy, no leading, and just a slight bit of moly residue.

I wouldn't recommend shooting lead through a stock glock barrel due to rising pressure problems (pick up a copy of Glock in Competition for more info, but I don't know about moly. It is still possible to get leading in a barrel using moly coated bullets if the load hasn't been dialed in and gas is able to cut by the bullet. I got a lone wolf barrel for my G35 because it's cheap insurance and it's easier on the brass. You will likely have to play with different powders and loads to get something that doesn't lead up your throat. It's worth the trouble when you see how much you save with moly.

Here's a good thread about the issue on the Oceanside Pistol forum:

http://oceansidepistol.com/forum/index.php?topic=1209.0

Edited by BlueOvalBruin

i use moly in .45 (loads won't make major) with great results but the barrels are cut different than the other glocks. i tried moly in .40 and didn't care for it. i shot a boat load of lead bullets before the internet was invented and didn't know any better. i'm still here and the glocks survived.

Im figuring that if you dont go too many rounds without cleaning and dont have the pressure cranked way up, you should be all right. That being said, i still have a LW barrel for my G-19 and shoot only lead through it, im using Berrys 125gr lead rn rounds with about 3.9 grs of unique and i have seen no leading thus far. I clean the barrel after every range trip though so as not to tempt fate even though it can handle them. I havent tried the stock Glock barrel yet but i mgiht give it 100-200 rounds and check along the way to see how it hanldes the leading issue. Now im probably going to order 230gr plated rounds to shoot through my G-21 as i cant find jacketed anywhere and Berrys says you can shoot them through your glock but dont use jacketed data to load them.

A little hi-jack here. I tried shooting lead 125's in my 17 and it slings them through the target sideways . But , when I shoot them in my M&P they group under 3.5" at 25 yards.

Any other glock shooters experience this when shooting lead?

Shot Lead 125`s and 147`s thru mine. Good accuracy and some leading. Cleaned it! They need to be examined often and cleaned untill clean when necessary. If you can`t or won`t do that, then get another barrel or gun.

A little hi-jack here. I tried shooting lead 125's in my 17 and it slings them through the target sideways . But , when I shoot them in my M&P they group under 3.5" at 25 yards.

Any other glock shooters experience this when shooting lead?

Well i cant say that i have with a Glock but i did have hornady 158,gr SWC tumble on me thru a revo, the reason i was told is they dont like to be pushed past 750-800fps and i was over that limit. I backed the load down and they shot normally, so perhaps the lead you were shooting wasnt made for it ? I shot another bullet with the load that made the hornadys tumble and it handled them just fine.

I shoot lead through my stock G34 barrel without any problems. I think it really comes down to exactly WHICH lead bullet you're shooting. Only way to really tell is to shoot a a few, check for leading, repeat.

I personally put 1500 lead rounds through my G34 in 2 days without cleaning it, and only had a tiny bit of leading in the barrel afterward. I don't have any leading at all after a 200-300 round match.

• 4 months later...

About 12 years ago, I had a Glock 22 with a factory barrel that I fired thousands of lead bullets through. These bullets functioned flawlessy and shot very accurately. I sold that Glock a long time ago and am ready to buy another (a model 31). Reading through the posts on this forum, I see most people seem to think aftermarket barrels are required to shoot lead bullets. Why is this so? Has glock changed their rifling or chamber dimensions? Thanks - John

Welcome to the forum!!

I searched and found these threads.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...e=shooting+lead

Little need to shoot bare lead bullets any more. Many high quality moly coated bullets can be found at reasonable prices.

Here is my supplier. http://www.billybullets.com/

Have shot these in my G17 and G35 for many years. No leading or smoke.

Edited to add...I'm of the opinion that (for the most part) aftermarket barrels for Glocks are a solution in search of the problem.

Jim

Edited by Jman

Thanks for the welcome, Jman. I just found this site and it looks like a great resource so far. Thanks too for pointing me in the right direction. This was about the only topic I hadn't run a search on. Since nothing has changed about Glock barrels, I will probably just use common sense and not worry about it. I might give moly bullets a try if they are priced similarly, but doubt they are necessary. - John

There are a variety of reasons to not shoot bare lead bullets but as mentioned earlier there are plenty of moly coated bullets manufacturers you can run without an issue. Other reasons include reduced lead vapors, reduced smoke, much less barrel leading, and less lube fouling. Of course if you use jacketed bullets, you virtually eliminate all of this.

To answer the OP's question in a nutshell:

No; the dimensions are all basically the same. Where you lucked out (and others have also) is by using a very hard cast lead bullet. Softer swaged bullets would oftentimes not engage the polygonal rifling and would "knuckle-ball" down the barrel. The rifling would smear off the outer diameter of the bullet and subsequently, the bore would be coated with a more-than-usual amount of lead, constricting the bore.

Along comes a bullet from a cartridge with a spiky pressure curve (40S&W) or an unsupported case web (45 ACP), and BLAMMO.

I put around 15k lead bullets through my Glock 34 without a problem, however (1) I was doing it in 9mm, not one of the more problematic cartridges, (2) I was using Laser-Cast bullets which are harder than the hinges of Hell. You could look down my G34's barrel after firing lead ammo and there was NO leading - actually the barrel was so clean it looked polished. Having said that, I never liked the level of smoke, and the crud all over my hands at the end of a practice session. In general I was happy to switch over to plated Rainiers for less lead smoke and more piece of mind.

It seems like I'm always "that guy" when I post on this forum, but I want to share my experience. I shoot .40 minor out of my stock barrel and have never had any trouble at all with cast bullets. It does lead more than my other pistols with traditional rifling, but not much more. As mentioned above by another poster, I carefully clean the barrel after firing and my sessons at the range very rarely exceed 300 rounds. In the beginning I shot 50 rounds, checked for leading, 50 more, checked, etc. until I reached my 300. Now I just blast away and clean the pistol when I get home. BTW, I use Stonewall Bullets which aren't especially hard and the owner warned about leading in Glocks when he found out what I would use them in. I would be willing to concede that the minor load using Unique powder (not very fast/hot) may contribute to my positive personal experience and may not work for everyone. However, I wouldn't write off the stock barrel/cast reload question without a little investigation. I'm just a titewad and didn't want to buy a new barrel so I could shoot inexpensive bullets. Results may vary, trained professionals on a closed course, don't try this at home as serious injury may occur.