Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock factory barrel with lead

RAZZ

Administrator note: I merged a good half-dozen or more threads on this same subject. If some of the responses seem be a bit out of order...it is likely due to the massive merge.

I have seen a few posts touching on the subject, but I would like more info. I know the reason most people avoid shooting lead through a factory Glock barrel (at least I have been told its because of the rifling which strips off more lead than other company's barrels, which can lead to overpressure and the dreaded KB). However, I have a couple of friends (I know, each gun is different) who have put tens of thousands of rounds (one stopped counting after 60k) of lead through each of their factory G22s with no problems. If the barrels are scrubbed religiously every 200 or 300 rounds, is the lead build-up really a problem? Thanks...

Edited by Flexmoney

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess there's no reason you can't give it a whirl and see what you think, but I think you're really asking for trouble.  I've been picking up once fired cases at the range and the Glock ones look damn near ready to burst in some instances.  This is with once-fired, factory cop ammo.  

I just have to wonder, given the small incremental cost of bulk jacketed bullets, why even screw with lead in your Glock?  40 Glocks really, truly have an issue with not handling excess pressure well.  I'm a big Glock fan, but this deficiency is an undeniable fact.  

In the end, I guess you just have to weigh your HMO deductible against the cost of the proper ammo, but flirt with disaster if you must.

I promise not post about this any more as this has already been beat to death a thousand times over.  

[End of Sermon]

(Edited by EricW at 8:49 pm on April 2, 2002)

Most of the problems I have encountered with polygonal rifling ( Tanfoglio, H&K, and the Glock ) seem to be when a softish bullet is belted along. I use aslightly heavier bullet, at the suggestion of a freind, and use fast to medium burn rate powders. I appears that as soon as you approach 1100fps the bullet almost skids of one rifling onto the next.

I also switched to a harder lead and some hard lead / coated projectiles. I believe the harder lead is more important than the coating. Lead was reduced not eliminated. But it did not get nasty for about 300rounds.

All the glocks of my experience shot significantly better with jacketed. But I have seem a few that have been made to work very well with the standard barrel and lead proj. The owners were a little more patient than I am.  

Wilson combat sells Glock barrels also. I don't know who the manufacturer is, but these bbls provide visibly greater case support for .40, and there is no apparent bulge in cases fired from my barrel.

Oh, yeah, they're conventionally rifled, too.

(Edited by bluemeanie at 8:12 am on April 10, 2002)

• 2 weeks later...

i've shoot plenty of lead out of my glocks,used one local brand hard as nails with real soft lube they shoot great 500 or more with no real leading, then i ran out so i bought another brand just as hard but they had a hard lube that even broke in the grove. these leaded my barrel bad after 50 or 60 rounds had to give them up. i think it was the lube if you don't have a soft lube it could lead your barrel fast.

I never had any problems shooting lead out of G21 or G30. I only shot a small amount of lead rounds through my G22 before selling it. The only Glock I own now is a G34 and all I've shot is lead with no problems. I do clean my Glock 34 after every session which is usually 200-300 rounds.

• 3 weeks later...

I have shot nothing but, lead through my stock barrel. But it is the lead bullets from Precision Bullets. I know there are coated bullets, They are far much cheaper than jacketed and shoot great. I do have a little mess in the barrel, but about 5mins with a bore brush, alcohol and a few swabs

• 3 years later...

Hi I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. Just started to shoot IPSC and was looking for an economical way to reload. Just wondering who used lead in their rebarelled glocks and also where is the best place to buy reloading supplies, cases powder, bullets etc.

Thanks in advance

Hi I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. Just started to shoot IPSC and was looking for an economical way to reload. Just wondering who used lead in their rebarelled glocks and also where is the best place to buy reloading supplies, cases powder, bullets etc.

Thanks in advance

I'm not shooting lead but Powder Valley is a good place to do business with.

I'm loading 115 gr Winchester JHPs over 4.4 grains of Titegroup and am very happy with the loads. A lot depends on where you are and who is close to you when ordering reloading supplies. I've been buying primers a thousand at a time locally and buying bullets from PV as I only see a pricebreak when I get to 5K in primers due to hazardous material fees. I did order 5K primers, 8 lb Titegroup and 2K bullets from PV earlier which was covered by one hazmat fee. Bullets don't incur the hazmat fees but shipping can get pricey depending on how far they have to be shipped.

Good luck,

John

I've shot approximately 10,000 rounds of Precision Bullets in my glock 22, stock barrel, with no problems. I have just now switched to ZERO Bullets only because I can get them cheaper than I can the Precisions.

Precision Bullets

Good Shooting, :)

Robbie

Edited by Rmack

Nothing wrong with shooting lead in Glock factory bbls, or third party bbls. If the bbl doesn't lead excessively, no issues, if it does, it may need firelapping to smooth it out before it will run lead cleanly. You also wanna' use a hard cast type lead bullet in the first place.

--

Regards,

I'm ain't sayin' nuttin' Copper! ;-)

Seriously, I ran a stock 17L with nothing but hard cast for many 10's of thousands of rounds. Switched to a barsto bbl and ran another 10k+ of hard cast 147's through it before I turned it into a major 9 open blaster that now eats only jacketed.

Never had any leading issues with the stock polygonal rifled bbl, or in the conventionally rifled Barsto.

--

Regards,