Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone Using A Sentry Gun Safe?

It's time for a bigger and better gun safe and I've been shopping around. My local gunshop is selling Sentry safes for rediculously low prices. I looked online and couldn't find anyone that could even come close to his prices. However, the safes aren't stored at his shop so I haven't been able to personally look at it. From what I can tell from photos I can find online it seems like the perfect safe but I hate buying anything blind. Do any of you use a Sentry Safe specifically model # G5453? If so can you post pics of your safe and what your experiences have been with this safe.

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Here is a photo of the safe:

sentryGQ5453.jpg

You pretty much want to bolt any gun safe to the floor or the walls anyway.

There are a couple other threads here about gun safes with a load of info in them.

With the price of metals going through the roof the local gun safe prices have shot up too.

Some states also have special tax incentives for gun safes. Washington has no sales tax on them for one but I know other states do similar things. That can often be enough to afford that upgrade to the next bigger safe.

I have been selling the Sentry Gun Safes for about 2 years. They are well made, look good and if you want fire protection they have one that is good for 30mins at 1400F.

Made in China.

Which ever of them you buy, you must ensure that before you close and lock the door you can unlock and properly operate the mechanism at least three times. Do not put the combination sheet inside the safe for any reason. It is on the outside or the safe when it is delivered. Record the combination hidden in a word file somewhere on your computer. There is no default setting, there is no one that can open it for you when you forget the combo. The factory (in China) does not keep records of the combination.

Before you ask, twice.

I have one similar to that one, the difference being that it has space for 16 long guns, with no handgun shelves on the left. It does the job just dandy. My only complaint is with the company. I've bought mine localy and the store had lost the keys to the inner lockbox. It has been Impossible for me to obtain a new set of keys, because apparently the company is out of blanks, or so they've been telling me for 3 years.

There is no default setting, there is no one that can open it for you when you forget the combo.

Another hint with any safe is to remove the interior door panel and photograph the mechanism, including reference points to the edge of the door as well as a ruler for scale. If you lock ever fails, this could reduce the number holes a box man has to drill to open the container.

The Sentry safes seem to be a decent value for the $$, but are a big step down from the Browning, Champion, Ft. Knox and Liberty safes ... which are in turn a big step down from the TL-30's (AMSEC has a nice one, but it's 3500 lbs empty). I am not sure of the brand of the combo lock on the safe, but the onces I have seen did not seem as smooth as the S&G Group II on my safe.

Also, if you want to be really sure that you have the only copy of the combination, get a change key, learn how to use it, and test the lock at least 5 times before closing the door after a change.

I have that exact same safe and it works great. I got it at Lowes and it's time for me to get a second one. I only keep my guns in a safe so that others (Mainly my Children) do not have easy access to them. I do not depend on a safe to keep thieves from getting them (Which this safe will do a good job of as long as it's bolted down). You should definintely get all your firearms insured. Nothing is impenetrable.

• 12 years later...

I had the same one someone tried breaking into it I had 10,000 in cash on it and 3 long Guns and 3 9mm Hand Guns In it it kept them from getting into it yes I paid a lot for it and it cost to have a lock smith get it opened cause they destroyed the tumbler trying to get into it evidently they had a long time to get into it and couldn’t do yes I would recommend this one and am looking to buy one if any one knows where to get one lmk Thanks. ?

• 1 month later...