Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Briley Diffuser Choke

George

At the 2005 US3G I heard nothing but good about the Briley Diffusion choke for simulating spreader rounds with standard shot when shooting frangibles.

Does anyone know what choke constriction this is rated at (IC, IM, M, etc...)?

Thanks,

I have a diffuser that I shot quite a lot at sporting clays. It was advertised like you said to be a spreader type of choke. That reads as more open than cylinder. In actual firing I found it equal to skeet in many applications. I used it with 1 oz of 8 1/2s on many courses that some boys thought they needed improved and 1 1/8 oz of shot. My coach was level III NSCA instructor Jim Arnold. He wasn't big on "twiddling" with choke tubes. I came to him as a guy who changed tubes on most stations. I finally realized it is more where you point it than the choke. Go buy one and be happy.

Rick

The diffuser choke actually strips the wad from the shot column closer to the muzzle than a regular choke. I wouldnt use one in a 3gun shotgun unless you wanted a really wide pattern in a hurry.

Dave

I wouldnt use one in a 3gun shotgun unless you wanted a really wide pattern in a hurry

That is exactly the option I want to have it available for, rather than spreader shells ;-)

I am trying to find out what choke bore it resembles just to know that. I don't plan on using it for anything but clay stages without steel at distance.

Thanks,

George, you peaked my own curriousity so I called Briley:

Office or Technical

(For questions concerning

Briley products and services)

713-932-6995

Mike, at the technical help desk said that the tube was a skeet restriction which is 5 thousands. He confirmed that a cylinder tube will produce a larger pattern and may be what you are really after. Call the above number for more specific answers. Hope that this helps George.

Rick

Good seeing you at the Multigun Nats, George.

I use the Briley Deffuser Choke alot for 3gun. At least 75% of the time. I like to use it with larger shot and payloads (1 1/8 to 1 1/4 oz, 3 1/4 dram, #6 and #4) to help spread the pattern on steel that is inside 20 yards. Works the same for birds. The choke is a cylinder bore, but with wide rifle twist grooves machined into it. The rifling grabs the wad and slows it down, or strips it from the shot column quicker, (as sgtglock discribed) to force a wider pattern. Works great for me, and slugs shoot fine also. The choke does need to be cleaned more often though, because the grooves collect plastic from the wads.

Always a pleasure seeing you at matches Beven. Thanks again for all the good attitude and advice :-)

I gather then that the diffuser choke would still provide enough payload grouping to be effective on medium and close steel (10-15 yards and under) with regular shot and still be murder on the clays ;-)

Imagonnabegettinoneofthoserealsoon.

Thanks,

Whiles were on the subject of chokes and the diffusion choke there are some people who think that a choke work in a much different way than is stated in this thread. A diffusion choke spins the shot column and causes it to spread faster. You do no want the choke to "strip" from the shot or slow down because that make for a tighter pattern. The school of though is that a choke is a wad-stopping device and the more choke you have the more it stops the wad. If the wad were to stop completely at the choke you would have a very tight pattern due to the fact that the shot is going in a straight line and will continue to do so. An open choke will allow the wad to “push” into the shot column after leaving the barrel and disturbs the shot and make it spread. If you study the Ballistics Products books well you will notice that they have a wad called the Trap Commander made out of thick plastic, this thick plastic wad will slow down more in even a cylinder bore and give you what appears to be a modified choke or a +2 choke constriction. Whereas the thin plastic wads will come out of the end of the barrel and push into the shot column and causes it to spread more. After the wad comes out of the barrel it has a tremendous gas push behind it, it is this push of the wad into the shot that spreads it. The tighter the choke the more the wad slows, the more the wad slow the less push it has into the shot and less spread. The diffusion choke use centrifugal fore to spread the shot with even less choke constriction which gives you a much faster spreading pattern.

Scott Peterson

Scott,

I would agree with some of those theories, but not all. The Deffuser choke could start the wad to spin, thus making the shot column spin, and making it spread faster. I like that one. I would think that it also slows the wad down and makes the pedals of the wad open faster in the process. Bottom line, the choke does work to make wider patterns. The other theories are harder to swallow, and I will have to think alot more about them. Just goes to show you, pattern your shotgun with all the chokes, and ammo you use. Otherwise you will never really know.

Scott - I think you are correct. Pattern Master chokes work in the way you descrbed AND give you tighter patterns.

They have NO restriction, but instead have fingers inside that grab the wad, and slow it down to keep it from blowing through the shot column. They also claim that the shot column is shorter, giving more pellets on passing targets. I have read reviews from some shooters on other forums that said that they had better shot density with Buckshot and Steel (for waterfowl).

5Shot

What would happen if you used this choke and spreader loads?

Hey, it might create a vaporizing death cloud that destroys all targets 180 degrees from the muzzle! LOL!

I am all for gaining an advantage, so seriously, what do you guys think?

Guy Hawkins

Edited by gl

Spreader loads have a plastic post in the center of the wad. As the wad and shot pass through the choke the shot is compressed into the post. As it leaves the barrel, the post springs back pushing the shot to the side increasing the pattern size. They are used quite a bit in sporting clays by those who leave a mod choke in all of the time. Spreaders can give a skeet to IC pattern with a modified choke.

I've never used one of Briley's diffuser chokes but the spreading by spinning seems logical and could well enhance the spread from a spreader load.

Bill

Spreader loads have a plastic post in the center of the wad. As the wad and shot pass through the choke the shot is compressed into the post. As it leaves the barrel, the post springs back pushing the shot to the side increasing the pattern size. They are used quite a bit in sporting clays by those who leave a mod choke in all of the time. Spreaders can give a skeet to IC pattern with a modified choke.

I've never used one of Briley's diffuser chokes but the spreading by spinning seems logical and could well enhance the spread from a spreader load.

Bill

The Spreader shell was developed for use with an IC or tighter choke. = it needs the "squezz" of the tighter choke to make the Post work in the wad. if you use it in an open choke your patern will have a big hole in it.

The Diffution Choke will /may make 2" difrenc at 12 yards to most?/some paterns, it works for shooters mostly becuse they "wont it to" and they spent $60.00 on it. I have two of them I got as "gifts" If a match is riding on a close bird I will not use one. if you think its grate and it works then you would have hit the target any way. the speed of shell will make a bigger diferenc a hotter shell will spead faster than a light shell.

I have a diffuser that I shot quite a lot at sporting clays. It was advertised like you said to be a spreader type of choke. That reads as more open than cylinder. In actual firing I found it equal to skeet in many applications. I used it with 1 oz of 8 1/2s on many courses that some boys thought they needed improved and 1 1/8 oz of shot. My coach was level III NSCA instructor Jim Arnold. He wasn't big on "twiddling" with choke tubes. I came to him as a guy who changed tubes on most stations. I finally realized it is more where you point it than the choke. Go buy one and be happy.

Rick

Jim is a first rate guy, but if he realy liked you he would have thrown your Diffussion choke away for you. = it is called a confusetion choke by many.

Now that you have said that you have tested the Diffusion tube, what were the percentages Beven if you remember? Was it more than cylinder or less? Like I said before I found the pattern to be about skeet. Curious as to what you found on your patterning board? Thanks

Alamo, Jim is an A1 instructor. Highly recomend him for clays instruction. Like I said before he wasn't a twidler.

Rick

Clay1,

A larger pattern then cylinder for sure, by 3 to 4 inches, at 10 yards. It is the largest patterning choke I have in bag, with normal ammo. I would have to agree, faster velocity will spread the pattern faster, and unless you use a bigger payload, your pattern will have some big holes in it when shooting past 25 yards. This is probably why the flying clay shooters have such an unstable reaction to this choke.

Religious Shooter,

I used the Diffuser Choke on stages 1, 2, 6, and 8 with Fed 3 1/4 dram, 1 1/8 oz, #6's. Stage 1, 2, and 8 went very well for me, where stage 6 was not the best, because of me, not the choke or load. I would not change a thing with my setup on those stages. Stage 11, I use a modified choke, Fed 3 1/4 dram, 1 1/8 oz, #4's. The setup was not the best for that stage. If I could do it again, I would have went with a full choke for those hard to knock down grader blade poppers, (which I still don't think are legal for a USPSA Nationals Match). I had too many extra shots on the steel that would not fall right away. I knew it was an issue, but when I shot that stage, (Sat. 12:30pm) the wind was blowing hard enough to move me and my point of aim off target on the slug shots. I did not miss any of the paper, but I know I spent extra time aiming with the wind blowing, and maybe it was holding some of the poppers up too. Who knows, that's the way it goes, and I will just have to make that call next time.

• 9 months later...

I know it has been a while on this thread, but I thought I would throw in my $.02. I would never doubt anyones factual information here on the subject, but I know when I shot for the Air Force International Skeet Team, Briley helped us out when it came to gear. I shot a diffusion not only for International Skeet (which is faster and starting in the "ready" position) but also for sporting clays. Now I was shooting 24gram loads (7/8 oz) with number 8.5 shot, Federal Gold Medal Intl loads and could hit birds at 40+ regularly. I know some are thinking about the golden bb law, but they weren't just chipping. We were told, and never saw evidence to not believe it, that when the shot spun, the "outside" of the pattern spread fast, but there were a large concentration of pellets that remained in the center of the pattern (until momentum was lost)

I am going to get one for my new Benelli from Benny and will have no reservations about shooting poppers or clays out to 20. I will test this theory in October when I get back and report what happens out of a 21" with 3 dram 7 1/2's. I thing it might be my choke for at least 75% of the time to include slugs.

Mike

• 10 years later...
On 8/11/2006 at 2:51 AM, mike_pinto said:

I know it has been a while on this thread, but I thought I would throw in my $.02. I would never doubt anyones factual information here on the subject, but I know when I shot for the Air Force International Skeet Team, Briley helped us out when it came to gear. I shot a diffusion not only for International Skeet (which is faster and starting in the "ready" position) but also for sporting clays. Now I was shooting 24gram loads (7/8 oz) with number 8.5 shot, Federal Gold Medal Intl loads and could hit birds at 40+ regularly. I know some are thinking about the golden bb law, but they weren't just chipping. We were told, and never saw evidence to not believe it, that when the shot spun, the "outside" of the pattern spread fast, but there were a large concentration of pellets that remained in the center of the pattern (until momentum was lost)

I am going to get one for my new Benelli from Benny and will have no reservations about shooting poppers or clays out to 20. I will test this theory in October when I get back and report what happens out of a 21" with 3 dram 7 1/2's. I thing it might be my choke for at least 75% of the time to include slugs.

Mike

Blast from the past here... what did you find out?

• 1 month later...