Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington 11-87 shortened barrel

charles

I had the barrel of my new 11-87 cut to about 22" It will cycle powerful load but not dove/trap loads.  It is going to be used mainly for falling steel plates. I only put about 20 rounds through it today it was new before that.  I am wondering weather I should drill out my gas ports or dose it just need to be shot more?  I think someone once said they had to drill from .072 to .080 to get their short barrel to work properly.  Also if I do drill how will this affect full power loads ran through the same barrel?

charles,

I don't know if you will need to drill the ports out or not.  The first step should be to put about 200 rounds through it.  

I followed the advice offered here.  I detail stripped my new gun, clean out all the cosmoline (sp?), then did an extended range session...shooting at least 200 rounds.  (Walmart value-paks are $16/100)

Some of the experienced shotgunner will likely chime in on the gas ports...in teh mean time, blast away (it is fun).

I've got an 1187 21" turkey gun that I had to open the gas ports from the original .072" to .080".  It's an easy job but I'd suggest you go in steps and shoot the gun in between to be safe. A numerical drill set is also the way to go. My gun will now run 1 oz 3 dram loads. It wouldn't go below 1 1/8 oz 3 1/4 dram before the mods.

Agreed on both the shot it lots and open the gas port theories. I would shoot it lots (250+) with a fairly warm load and then see how far down you can go.

Now the 20-20 hindsight bit.

You should never modify an un-shot gun, not not not ever. I always check fire a new firearm, if the factory stuffed up you now have no come back on Remington. The other reason is you have a reference point to which you can go back. I see so many people that can't wait to get the dremel, hacksaw etc to a new piece. Always shoot it and check, THEN chop away.

Happy Shooting

A shortened 11-87 barrel should have the ports opened up to about .0120. ( Vang Comp opens them up to about .0160 ,but that beats you and your gun up) .0120 should let you run skeet loads reliably. This isn't just guessing, my best friend works as a Remington engineer. And also shoots some 3-gun. We have done this mod. on a number of 11-87's and had great success.

Sorry it took so long to get back with everyone.  

I do realize that I should have shot the gun before modifying it.  I got it below wholesale but it came with a rifled slug barrel. I traded the barrel for a vent rib and could not resist the ergs to start chopping away.

Thanks for the info on the gas ports.  I thought I was crazy when I bought a few drills in the .07-.08 range and they slid right in the holes. The gun currently has factory size gas ports and runs light loads sporadically, sometimes it will feed everyone out of the tube and then the next time won't eject the shell. Possibly ammo? Anyhow if I have time this week I will bring the barrel into the store and find out what drills are close to the original size and work from there.  Thanks for the help. Charles

• 1 month later...

What Paul has suggested above has been a known fix for light loads in 11-87’s for some time and it is a non-permanent solution to the problem.  Remington stumbled on this phenomenon by accident and now they make a “light load activator” to shoot light loads in their 14” 11-87 Police and 3.5” supermag guns.  It is basically a stainless ring that is added behind the gas ring and seal to result in the same thing as adding another gas seal.

I heard about it on another BBS where there is a guy who works for Remington posts.  There was a discussion about 11-87’s working with light loads. Even thought my 11-87 Police works with my 1 oz. 3+ dram payloads I copied the thread for future reference.  I will post a few of those posts as they were on the BBS below.

All posts by REMGunsmith

“The 1187 police 18" Rifle Sights (Tritium)is my choice for home defense, but there's one problem with them. They will not dependably cycle light loads. The answer is something Remington came up with for the 1187 super mag 3 1/2" gun. It's called the activator, all it really is is a stainless ring that's put in front of the regular gas system. I have tseted it out of mine with great success! (Beats having to make gas ports larger perminately altering the bbl. The company puts the activator on all the 14" entry guns now so that they can be used for training as well as actual use”

“First of all let me say that the activator was designed for use on the 1187 Super Mag shotgun purely by ACCIDENT!

Last year a number of 1187 gas cylinders were machined short, when the barrels were fired in the y FUNCTIONED FLAWLESSLY with all ammo they tested. So the engineers designed a stainless steel ring that is put on in front of the original gas system giving the same amount of standoff. I'll try to get a part number for you”

“To Order The Activator Part # 1187 Super Mag Barrel Seal Activator

Part # F201598. It doesn't seem to matter which way that you put it on, it works fine either way.  Call Consumer Services Department at 1-800-243-9700, Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm EST.  But you didn't hear it from me!!!!!!!”

He suggests saying that you "lost"  the activator from your 3.5” 11-87 supermag and need a new one when calling.  He seemed to think they might be unwilling to just sell them and would want to know who told you and why do want them?  I haven’t bothered getting one yet but will probably eventually.

Neal in AZ

Neal, thanks for the info.  I called Remington and told them I wanted the part.  They asked if I lost mine, and I said, "Um, yes", so they sent one out for free.  According to the papers that came with it, it should work great.  I am looking forward to trying it and will post how it goes.  

• 3 weeks later...

You are welcome Dave.  I thought it was some good info when I got it and was glad to pass it on.  As far as using the acitvator for heavy loads, I don't know.  As my 11-87P shoots my lighter reloads I haven't bothered getting one yet but I did wonder if I did get one to use would I have to take it out when I wasn't shooting light stuff?  That would be a real pain if that was the case.  Since this was made up for the 3.5" 11-87's, I wonder what Rem says about leaving it in when shooting the heavier shells?  I wonder if they talk about it in the manual?  I know my local shops don't have one on the rack or I would ask if I could see the manual and see what it says.  

It seems to me the way this works is to basically partially unlock the bolt so the inital (softer) blast of gas doesn't have to burn up as much of it's energy on overcoming the initial hump of starting to unlock the action while recocking the hammer and pushing the mass of the bolt and carrier. This activator gives the lighter shells a headstart in unlocking the action so there is more inertia/recoil to cycle the aciton.

• 1 month later...

FYI, Remington's web site will send you one free (a $6.50 value!) if you give them some personal information.  They suggest removing it to shoot heavy loads.

http://www.remington.com/support/parts/partsinfo.htm

select 11-87 supermag barrel seal activator

BTW, CDNN has 21" 11-87 barrels for $100-- These are police barrels and not threaded for chokes.

(Edited by shred at 12:44 pm on Aug. 9, 2002)

I opened my ports up to just a tad over .120 and took out the gas ring, I replaced it with the activator. This has worked very well so far. Also the barrel I am using is a 22" Special purpose barrel, the pressure compensated type. Which I cut and rechoked.

Another item that can't be overlooked is proper lube. The mag tube where your gas system cycles should be heavily lubed with Remoil spray, Fastex, what ever your poison is. Make sure it is a lube that resists heat and pressure. The inside of the action needs to stay lubed as well. Not to insult anyones intelllliggggennce, but I have fixed alot of broken guns on the range with a squirt or two of lube.

If you are using a extended mag tube with clamp, make sure the clamp isn't torquing on your gas system. The distance from the barrel to the tube should be the same front to rear. ie parrallel... I can't spell but you get the drift. The only clamp I have seen so far that works correctly is the Clark Custom Gun clamp.

By the way I shoot 1 oz 2 3/4 Dram  Equ.  loads... Easy shooting and easy on the gun.

KyleL