Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comp-iii Modification

Walt S

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/12/2018 at 4:28 PM, Bill Nesbitt said:

Back to the top for the youngsters who don't know how to do this. ;)

Oddly enough I was just talking to my buddy about shooting Classic ICORE last night, and I guess you have to use Speedloaders. I've got a Comp III I might play with. But since it's been 12 years since the original photos, I think this thread will have to be updated with better pictures that weren't taken with a potato.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd show you the tools I have used to do the cutting on a lathe.  Keeps the cut perpendicular to the bore of the speed loader.  The cross pin drives the speed loader piece.

Just position a cut-off tool close to the cross pin and let her rip.

Who knows if the part has changed over the years, but the L-frame is .625" in diameter and the K-frame is .575" when I made these.

SLtool1.JPG

SLtool2.JPG

SLtool3.JPG

SLtool4.JPG

• 10 months later...

I’m shooting Revolver again this year in IDPA, but this time with speedloaders.  I’ve seen this modification in my research for speedloaders, gear, gun, etc.  What exactly does this do to make the reload faster?  

In just the little reload practicing I’ve tried so far, I think the hole definitely needs to get plugged.  But I’m trying to figure out how the grinding makes it faster.  I’m certainly not doubting, just wondering the ‘why’.

grinding then down makes it faster/easier because it gives you a lot more clearance from your grip, blast shield, and cylinder release. Modify 1 and you'll see how much difference there is between the stock one.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Cutting down the speedloader helps prevent the cartridges from getting stuck in the loader when releasing into the cylinder. The speedloader can move a bit during loading and cause the cartidridge to bind up if there is extra room. I cut the loaders down as thin as possible (thinner than the pictures in this thread) to clear easier.

Edited by ajblack

On 1/14/2018 at 10:11 PM, mchapman said:

insert plastic plug from ACE hardware

IMG_0178.JPG

IMG_0179.JPG

Do you know what exactly that small plug is called and what the size it is?  I've been looking around everywhere for a small part like this but I haven't been able to find a plug that small

43 minutes ago, ajblack said:

Do you know what exactly that small plug is called and what the size it is?  I've been looking around everywhere for a small part like this but I haven't been able to find a plug that small

It is a push plug and I found it in the hardware section at ACE Hardware. 1/8 by 5/16 long and fits perfect.

I took the measurements provided by mchapman and found a hole plug that works great from Amazon.  I'm not sure about the rules around linking directly to products, but if you go to Amazon and search for "WIDGETCO 3/16" and 5mm Black Hole Plugs" you will find them.

I just set up one of my Comp III's with one of these hole plugs for testing and I've been really happy, plugging the trigger really does advance the timing of the speed loader significantly.

Optimized-IMG_20181214_122052.jpg