Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC firing pin spring

Does anyone know the specs for an AR-style 9mm firing pin spring?  Recommended replacements?

i ask because I like to change firing pin springs often in pistols that use them. I’m new to the PCC game and looking for some advice. 

I asked the maker of the bolt I purchased. They declined to offer any information beyond the fact that it’s made of stainless steel. They do not offer the firing pin spring as a separate item. 

Yes, I can mike the wire diameter, count coils and measure OAL. That will get me most of the way. I don’t have a spring tension tester of any type. 

What I really want to know if what’s the best replacement spring that meets specs for safe and reliable function 

thanks

john 

On most 1911 guns, the firing pin spring absorbs the full impact of the firing pin when dry firing.  They are usually driven to coil bind and that can lead to premature failure. 

On the AR9 bolts that I have seen, the firing pin bottoms out on the bolt and that saves a lot of work for the spring, at the expense of the firing pin itself.  I would speculate that an AR9 firing pin return spring should last a lot longer than it's 1911 counterpart.

5 minutes ago, L9X25 said:

On most 1911 guns, the firing pin spring absorbs the full impact of the firing pin when dry firing.  They are usually driven to coil bind and that can lead to premature failure. 

On the AR9 bolts that I have seen, the firing pin bottoms out on the bolt and that saves a lot of work for the spring, at the expense of the firing pin itself.  I would speculate that an AR9 firing pin return spring should last a lot longer than it's 1911 counterpart.

I've gone through two in one year.  My buddy one.  

14 minutes ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

What's happening to your springs?  Breakage?  Weakness?  Is your firing pin chamber rough?

One was a PSA from my first PCC.  It broke within the first few range sessions.  The other probably had a good 8-10K on it.  Same thing.  Just split.  It was a Spinta. 

I don't have either of those bolts anymore. 

I haven't broke a CMMG yet.    I do a lot of dry fire.