Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sport Pistol for .40 S&W Major PF

Doublehelix

I got a chance to test some loads I worked up using Sport Pistol for .40 Major, and compared them to some N320 and WST loads that also meet Major Power Factor at the LONGER COAL.

All load data is for reference only, use at your own risk, and realize that these loads are loaded to 1.180" COAL for my 2011 Competition gun and will not work in other types of .40 S&W firearms that use a shorter COAL.

Overall, my impressions of Sport Pistol for this application is really positive. It meters well, and burns relatively cleanly, although I tested several powders today (TiteGroup, WST, N320 as well as Sport Pistol), so it is hard to say for sure how clean burning it is. Even with coated lead bullets, there was little-to-no smoke. I also felt that the recoil profile in my gun with a 5" barrel was quite manageable, and gave me the feel of W231, which I have always loved. Unfortunately, W231 seems to never be the best load for most of my testing in other calibers, but nonetheless, I have always loved the feel of it.

The good news is that Sport Pistol shoots as well as it "feels", and I am very excited to do some further detailed tested.

I tested loads with 4.6 gr., 4.7 gr., and 4.8 gr. of Sport Pistol using 180 gr. Blue Bullets (FN coated lead) at 1.180" in my 5" STI 2011.

Here are the chronograph results:

---

Total number of shots 15
Bullet Type: Blue FN
Bullet Weight: 180
Powder: Sport Pistol
Weight: 4.6

COAL: 1.18
Primer: CCI 500
Case: Mixed

Stats - Average 933.13 fps
Stats - Highest 971.00 fps
Stats - Lowest 911.00 fps
Stats - Ext. Spread 60.00 fps
Stats - Std. Dev 17.85 fps
Avg Power Factor 166.25

---

Total number of shots 13
Weight: 4.7

Stats - Average 951.38 fps
Stats - Highest 976.00 fps
Stats - Lowest 933.00 fps
Stats - Ext. Spread 43.00 fps
Stats - Std. Dev 11.87 fps
Avg Power Factor 169.57

---

Total number of shots 15
Weight: 4.8

Stats - Average 964.60 fps
Stats - Highest 982.00 fps
Stats - Lowest 938.00 fps
Stats - Ext. Spread 44.00 fps
Stats - Std. Dev 11.46 fps
Avg Power Factor 171.76

---

All 3 loads met the Major Power Factor level of 165, but the 4.6 and 4.7 gr. loads are just cutting it way too close for comfort, and on any given day, they might fall below the threshold. Definitely not worth the chance.

The 4.8 gr. load was a very nice, comfortable load to shoot, and seemed to have excellent accuracy as well, although I will really need to spend some more time testing this to be sure.

The ES numbers were nothing to write home about, but I was intent on using my Dillon powder drop without any modifications or extra work. I worked up 25 rounds of each load, and I tend to verify the drop weight every 10 rounds or so. I also used mixed brass to simulate what I would be using in a real-life situation.

For comparison purposes, here are a couple of comparable loads using N320 and WST respectively.

I have to say, the Sport Pistol loads and the WST loads definitely "felt softer" in perceived recoil than the N320 loads which just felt "snappier" at similar Power Factors.

---

Total number of shots 12
Powder: N320
Weight: 4.8

Stats - Average 965.08 fps
Stats - Highest 999.00 fps
Stats - Lowest 834.00 fps
Stats - Ext. Spread 165.00 fps
Stats - Std. Dev 40.71 fps
Avg Power Factor 171.71

(I had some issue with powder spillage on my press during the loading of the N320 loads, which led to the high ES and SD numbers. It turned out I was having tons of issues with my RCBS lockout die and the N320 load. Rather than adjust it, I ended up just taking it off of the press during the load development.)
---

Total number of shots 45
Bullet Type: Blue Coat
Powder: WST
Weight: 4.5

Stats - Average 939.67 fps
Stats - Highest 971.00 fps
Stats - Lowest 923.00 fps
Stats - Ext. Spread 48.00 fps
Stats - Std. Dev 10.10 fps
Avg Power Factor 167.47

This WST load has been my go-to load for this pistol for Major PF.

---

(The WST load is also too close to the Major Power Factor cutoff, and I have since upped this load to 4.6 gr. of WST.)

Next up, I am really going to focus in on the performance and accuracy of the 4.8 gr. Sport Pistol load, and I am going to start with a clean pistol, and then examine things before shooting any other powders.

I do have to say, I am very pleased with the performance so far, but the accuracy testing is going to be the final proof of the pudding.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I load Sport Pistol for my 40 and 9mm. I really like SP. It’s my go to powder for 9 minor and 40 Major. My load for 40 is 4.7 grains SP. My standard deviation is 10 with this load. When I have a chance I want to try 4.65 grains. SP is very accurate and clean. Meters very well through my RCBS Pro 2000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, MNshooter said:

Good posts. I’d like to try SP. please update if you run SP-only. I’m really curious about cleanliness relative to N320. N320 is the gold standard and I hate cleaning guns.

Funny you say that, because that is my plan exactly! I am going to make up some more loads, then go out with a clean gun and put a few hundred down the pipe, checking the cleanliness of the gun every 100 rounds just to see how it looks. This will be part of my accuracy testing.

The N320 is clean, but it is definitely not as soft shooting as Sport Pistol or even WST IMHO. It is a Gold Standard for a reason, don't get me wrong, but I am liking what I see with Sport Pistol so far.

More testing is needed to be sure however...

Excellent post, thanks for taking the time to supply everyone with all of your data and analysis.  I've been waiting on the opportunity to find Sport Pistol locally to give it a try, very interested to see how clean it is over several hundred rounds as compared to N320.

Still have not found the time to really test my SP loads, but I do want to say that after doing these tests using Sport Pistol, N320, WST and Titegroup, my pistol was FILTHY!!! I mean nasty as heck.

My go-to loads are WST, and I have never seen my gun this dirty, so I am doubting it was from the WST. I know Titegroup is not the cleanest (I use it for my 9mm loads), but I only really had 2 different Titegroup loads that I tested that day, so I can't imagine that all of that crud in my gun was from those 2 loads.

I need to get a couple hundred SP loads downrange and check the gun afterwards.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 11:49 AM, Doublehelix said:

Still have not found the time to really test my SP loads, but I do want to say that after doing these tests using Sport Pistol, N320, WST and Titegroup, my pistol was FILTHY!!! I mean nasty as heck.

My go-to loads are WST, and I have never seen my gun this dirty, so I am doubting it was from the WST. I know Titegroup is not the cleanest (I use it for my 9mm loads), but I only really had 2 different Titegroup loads that I tested that day, so I can't imagine that all of that crud in my gun was from those 2 loads.

I need to get a couple hundred SP loads downrange and check the gun afterwards.

Did you ever get to do more testing with sport pistol?

9 hours ago, sean_stw said:

Did you ever get to do more testing with sport pistol?

Unfortunately, no. I have been busy with a lot of shooting this time of year, and unfortunately, I did not prep enough ammo. It seems like any spare time I have to get down to my reloading room, I am cranking out ammo for the upcoming week. Not a good situation to be in! (I hate it!)

I am starting to get a backlog finally, but probably need to get another 6,000 - 7,000 rounds loaded before I feel comfortable. (I shoot about 15,000+ rounds a year of USPSA ammo, plus my steel ammo, my .45 ammo, etc.).

It will probably be a few weeks before I can even think about going back to my Sport Pistol loads unfortunately. ☹️

I am anxious to try it don't get me wrong, but I keep outshooting my supply... Ugh.

Damn, sounds like you have your hands full, thats a lot of reloading. just figured id ask since its been a few weeks. I'm gonna pick some sport pistol up and start testing it. Hopefully ill have some loads in the next couple weeks and ill post them up here and give my impression what its like. Thanks for the info you already have up it'll help get me going in the right direction.

• 6 months later...
On 5/15/2018 at 9:08 AM, Doublehelix said:

Unfortunately, no. I have been busy with a lot of shooting this time of year, and unfortunately, I did not prep enough ammo. It seems like any spare time I have to get down to my reloading room, I am cranking out ammo for the upcoming week. Not a good situation to be in! (I hate it!)

I am starting to get a backlog finally, but probably need to get another 6,000 - 7,000 rounds loaded before I feel comfortable. (I shoot about 15,000+ rounds a year of USPSA ammo, plus my steel ammo, my .45 ammo, etc.).

It will probably be a few weeks before I can even think about going back to my Sport Pistol loads unfortunately. ☹️

I am anxious to try it don't get me wrong, but I keep outshooting my supply... Ugh.

Have you had a chance to shoot more  Sport Pistol? I’m interested in hearing how clean it shoots for your 40. 

14 hours ago, Eman said:

Have you had a chance to shoot more  Sport Pistol? I’m interested in hearing how clean it shoots for your 40. 

Unfortunately, no. I keep meaning to, but I am so busy shooting and have barely enough loading time to keep up with the capacity.

Now that the winter months are here, I hope to get to it soon.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2018 at 6:37 PM, Bmeehan19 said:

Great info in this thread.  Exactly what I was looking for. How clean has it been for you?

I switched from titegroup. Little cleaner. Can push another couple hundred before i clean. Doesnt seem to make the oil on the gun as gunky as fast. 

Grafs wont ship to people with a job. "Signature required" is a load of horse doo doo...   Not like the shipper checks ID, or even asks for a legible signature...

Edited by Joe4d

Not sure what you're insinuating.

Anyways. While it's off topic, I'll just say that you can have packages shipped to your place of work, or nearest shipping facility and pick up at your convenience, which is what I'm doing.

Ok to be clear,,  "Signature required" I dont understand the point,, nor do I do business with companies that require it.. I have a job,,, not sitting at home, nor sitting in an office. So basically cant receive from them.

Edited by Joe4d

18 hours ago, Joe4d said:

Ok to be clear,,  "Signature required" I dont understand the point,, nor do I do business with companies that require it.. I have a job,,, not sitting at home, nor sitting in an office. So basically cant receive from them.

You can request the carrier deliver or hold it at a local UPS/Fedex store and pick it up/sign when you are able. Many times the Fedex or UPS store by my house is open until 9pm.

On 4/19/2018 at 10:27 AM, Doublehelix said:

Funny you say that, because that is my plan exactly! I am going to make up some more loads, then go out with a clean gun and put a few hundred down the pipe, checking the cleanliness of the gun every 100 rounds just to see how it looks. This will be part of my accuracy testing.

The N320 is clean, but it is definitely not as soft shooting as Sport Pistol or even WST IMHO. It is a Gold Standard for a reason, don't get me wrong, but I am liking what I see with Sport Pistol so far.

More testing is needed to be sure however...

Interesting i didn't know that Sport Pistol was softer than N320.  I currently use N320 but my LGS isn't able to get it anymore since the distributor isn't carrying it.  I have 6 pounds of VV left but have heard it is basically like N320 and the OP's chronology data is basically the same as my 320 data...will have to try that when I run out...i don't feel N320 is that harsh, but if   Sport Pistol is softer i will give it a try.