Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I was looking at building an AR style 9mm for USPSA. After seeing the price difference and some of the new pieces that are coming out for the Ruger PC I was wondering if that would be a better route. What are the advantages or disadvantages of going with either platform? 

If I have a compensator installed on the Ruger PC would it still have more recoil/dot  bounce  than an AR style platform?

Any reliability  and accuracy differences?

I know little about the Ruger PCC.  I would suggest that the majority of the division is made up of AR9 and Sig MPX people, and that those platforms have a wealth of knowledge, parts support, and DIY customizations available. You can readily get support here on those guns.  That would be the advantages.

That being said.  For all I know.  In six months the Ruger will be the new unicorn of the sport, andbutI would have a hard time steering anyone towards something besides these at this current point in time.

As far as dot bounce, etc...  I couldn't tell you.  At a quick glance, I don't see many tuning options other than your load.

I have had an opportunity to play with the Ruger rifle.  My friend purchased one.  When he brought it to my place, I honestly thought what a turd.  Then I shot it.  It is a very fun little rifle!  The stock fit me great, and to me it shoots soft enough.  I did not have a chance to shoot groups, but seems accurate enough from what I seen.  I popped off the rear sight and made a RTS2 mount that bolts on, that optic seems perfect for it to me.  One disadvantage, in my opinion, is putting the safety back on during a course of fire.  When I have to run any distance in a stage, I usually flick the safety back on my Ar pattern rifles. I took a nasty fall last year in the WPA section match and I had the safety on when I did it.  The Ruger will not be as fast and easy in this respect.  I think it would be a fine rifle for the steel challenge.  To summarize, it is a fun little rifle, but in racing applications for me, I prefer the Ar style rifles.

There are no after market triggers for the Ruger yet, but that might certainly change in the next few months. The stock trigger isn’t bad though. I think this is the perfect rifle for those who want to get their feet wet in PCC. If one doesn’t care for that division, no big loss and if one does like it, you’re good to go and may even be able to improve on it later this year. 

Volquartson has a trigger pack that evidently works well.  It's for a 10/22 and you just don't use a few parts in the 9mm.

www.midwayusa.com/product/928141815/volquartsen-high-performance-action-parts-kit-plus-ruger-10-22

2 hours ago, dapribek said:

There are no after market triggers for the Ruger yet, but that might certainly change in the next few months. The stock trigger isn’t bad though. I think this is the perfect rifle for those who want to get their feet wet in PCC. If one doesn’t care for that division, no big loss and if one does like it, you’re good to go and may even be able to improve on it later this year. 

I just talk to the Taccom.  He has a full race package for the Ruger pc. Includes a mag well,  magazine release butt pad and a muzzle break. Looks like it would reload easier than an ar. He also said the volquartson  trigger kit for the 1022 works very well.

I just talk to the Taccom.  He has a full race package for the Ruger pc. Includes a mag well,  magazine release butt pad and a muzzle break. Looks like it would reload easier than an ar. He also said the volquartson  trigger kit for the 1022 works very well.

Interesting, I had read that the 10/22 triggers wouldn’t work in the new Ruger. Great news for owners of the new carbine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The trigger from the link is drop in and pulls at 2.5 lbs. Its really nice, but is not as crisp as a high end AR trigger can be, but that really doesn't matter for our sport. The stock Ruger PCC trigger is way better than a stock AR trigger though.

Edited by DesertTortoise
3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Might depend on your load - slower powders and lighter bullets

just might get a comp to work efficiently    :) 

That didn’t work that well in my blowback guns.  I tried autocomp and hs6.  I had a tremendous amount of unburnt powder in the upper and lower.  

2 hours ago, bmiller said:

That didn’t work that well in my blowback guns.  I tried autocomp and hs6.  I had a tremendous amount of unburnt powder in the upper and lower.  

Wonder why WAC/HS6 wouldn't burn completely in a longer barrel, and yet burn 

completely in my TruBor 5.5" ?

9 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Wonder why WAC/HS6 wouldn't burn completely in a longer barrel, and yet burn 

completely in my TruBor 5.5" ?

I am guessing,  the trubor has a locked breach, the bullet has exited the barrel before it is unlocked.  With the blowback, there is not a locking mechanism, it is just relying on the mass of the bolt to hold it in battery.  Pressures are still higher when the brass is coming out of the chamber, essentially blowing gas and carbon back in the gun.  My blow back rifles brass are always has more carbon on them than my open gun has.  I am sure it can be explained more elegantly than what I am doing, but that’s my guess.  Give it a try, maybe it will work for you.  They made a hell of a mess in my gun.

Edited by bmiller

I HAD a PSA9 and JR Carbine 9 and now I have the Ruger PC9. Biggest difference IME is in recoil. The AR platform has a lot more recoil than the Ruger. It’s a significant difference. Also the Ruger is much easier to clean and it’s cheaper.