Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loose Bullet

steved57

Okay - First off I hope I am posting this in the correct spot - secondly I am new to reloading (reloaded 40 years ago) so anyway I have a Dillon 550 and set it up as per the instruction manual

I loaded a dozen .357 magnum and shot some of them and all seems fine - but then I noticed I can spin the bullet in the case - I can't pull it out but can spin it - and I don't think the case looks 

correct from what I remember many years ago

So I am using new Winchester brass,  Hornady 125 g xtp bullets,  18.4 grams Winchester 296 ball,  COL is 1.580, and CCI 500 small pistol primers

So after I run the brass thru the resize die it is .375" , I am flaring .020" per Dillon manual and set crimp die per manual which is run down to touch shellplate  and then 1/8 turn more

Any help / suggestions would be very much appreciated

See attached pic of the finished round with the shoulder approx. at base of bullet

.357 bullet.jpg

Edited by steved57

I believe that your problem is that your crimp die isn't adjusted correctly. It shouldn't be crimping the case down that far. Try this loosen the crimp die enough to not touch the case. Then raise the ram up and tighten the die until it just touches the case. Tighten the die while raising and lowering the ram and checking the crimp. You should just be removing the bell and adding a slight crimp to hold the bullet in place to prevent setback. Run a couple rounds and pull the bullets to check your crimp, there should just be an impression completely around the bullet not squeezing it to deform it.

Edited by microham
Miss spelling

There shouldn't be a shoulder like that, certainly not where the bullet part of the brass is smaller than the rest of the cartridge. If anything, the top of the brass should be wider than the bottom, because of the bullet.

My guess is that your using a crimp die that also sizes(Lee FCD?), and are crimping too much. You are basically sizing down the bullet and case at the same time. But the brass case has some give, and will spring back ever so slight, causing the bullet to be loose. And it's only the crimp into the crimp groove that's holding the bullet in the cartridge.

Back out the crimp die and adjustment until there's no sizing and crimping of the cartridge, then adjust up from there.

Edited by Postal Bob

Those instructions you are using is for setting the sizing die. The crimp die is set by raising the ram with the case and tightening the die until it contacts the case, not the shellplate. You are way over crimping.

Youngeyes nailed it. Back your crimp die all the way back out. Seat a bullet in the case and move it to the crimp station. Raise the ram to the highest position, then lower your crimp die down until it touches the bullet, finger tight. Lower the ram, turn the crimp down 1/8th to 1/4 of a t7rn more, then lock it down.

8 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

BTW, none of my business, but I wouldn't try to fire those rounds in MY gun    ....    :huh:

Don't say none of your business as I appreciate the advise from you experienced reloaders

Edited by steved57

8 hours ago, steved57 said:

You guys were totally correct as I set die as everyone above has suggested and that did the trick

Thanks for all the input/advice

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I move along but again thanks guys

Cool. Now, please do not shoot those rounds that look like rifle rounds. Toss them...

If you are going to shoot these in a wheelgun, and not a rifle, you probably don't have to worry about bullet setback, you may have issues with bullet creep. Which in that case I would use a roll crimp instead. You have different forces in action in a revolver than a semi-auto.