Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need some help with my 617

shoots100

Let me start off with that I've been working on center fire S&W revolvers for a long time.

.22 revolvers aren't my thing, but It's a Smith, so I figured I'd take a stab at it.

What I'm trying to do is make my 617 a carbon copy of my comp 929, especially the 7lb trigger pull.

I cannot get my 617 to function reliably with any type/brand of ammo, with a trigger pull under 8lbs.

I've tried over 20 types/brands of ammo.

I polished the internals and It's smoother than a Ho's tongue.

I will have over 3k rounds fired after tomorrows steel practice, and this weekends 8 stage steel match.

It currently has the Apex mass hammer, comp spring kit, Ext firing pin, and I just recently spaced the cylinder to remove 95% end shake.

I'm currently using the stock firing pin, as it's been functioning better with it.

Am I missing/ overlooking something, asking too much, or is this the lightest trigger I can expect to have with a 617 ?

I'm a stubborn bastard , but since this is a comp only pistol, I'm open to sending it out to someone more knowledgeable with .22 revolvers, if the elusive 7lb trigger pull can be achieved.

Any help, advice or smith recommendation's would be appreciated.

Thanks,  SJC

You need to have no more than .001 to .002 endshake. Depending on the rebound spring you're using now, you may need to get a different one. I can usually knock off 1 lb. of trigger pull with my proprietary one. Properly bending the mainspring might get another .5 lb. You have to tune the springs to the gun and each other, so kind of hard to do that long distance.

19 hours ago, alecmc said:

Well, you went back to stock pin which is a plus. We ussually find it works better with that.

How heavy of a rebound spring ?

I tried the stock pin again on your recommendation. Never looked back.

I'm using a 12lb return spring.

I tried 10 to 14lb.

I tried a couple of different cylinder shims and settled on the .002 .

The biggest improvement has been with the purchase of the Apex mass hammer.

After this weekend's match, I'll have a few weeks between matches to have it looked at.

Mine has just over 6 pounds double action after talking to Scott at Apex.  The ammo it likes is Federal Ultra Match and this will shoot 100%. Most other brands, especially CCI Min Mags will fire 99 out of 100.  That's not bad even for Steel Challenge.  Just a fast pull and you are back in business.  Eley will only fire 80 out of 100 rounds.  I leave that for my 22/45 Lite.

I found the Apex Hammer was not a drop in fix and I had to stone the sides to get a smooth reliable action.

I didn't try the ultra match, was too rich for my wallet.

Tried all of the lower priced match Ammo and found that Fed automatch was 100% in my 617. Champion was the 2nd.

Both also extracted 100% after over 400 rounds fired.

No luck with any of the other major brands. Plated or lead.

The Apex hammer is smoother than silk. I fit and polished it with no issues.

It's a work of art.

11 hours ago, shoots100 said:

I didn't try the ultra match, was too rich for my wallet.

Tried all of the lower priced match Ammo and found that Fed automatch was 100% in my 617. Champion was the 2nd.

Both also extracted 100% after over 400 rounds fired.

No luck with any of the other major brands. Plated or lead.

The Apex hammer is smoother than silk. I fit and polished it with no issues.

It's a work of art.

Is this with a 7lb trigger pull, or still at the 8lb?