Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tungsten Guide Rod Durability

Agent #1911

With the upcoming rule change in production allowing 4 oz weight. People are going to be adding weights to the Glock. I keep hearing about tungsten guide rod breaking but mostly from 1911/2011 platform. I want to hear it from Glock users. Whats has been your experience? Should I get a tungsten or extended SS heavy .270 diameter rod for my G34?

I have been using tungsten rod in my PD gun (Glock 34) for years...the gun comes in just under the 2 oz. requirement...have not broken yet (knock on wood)...

Edited by racerba
added Glock

1 minute ago, racerba said:

I have been using tungsten rod in my PD gun (Glock 34) for years...the gun comes in just under the 2 oz. requirement...have not broken yet (knock on wood)...

Good to hear. What brand?

I've used the captured tungsten guide rods from Glockstore in both my G22 and G35 for about three years with no problem.

More recently bought their non-captured one for my G35, since it is longer and adds a little more muzzle weight. It has about 1500 rounds through it so far with no problems. I have a 9 mm conversion barrel, so this new rod has been in and out about weekly the last 4 months.

11 hours ago, Descartian said:

Tungsten although more brittle than steel it an extremely durable metal. Many quality cutting tools are made from tungsten. 

I believe you are referring to tungsten carbine which is different from the composition they use on guide rods. I believe the tungsten used in guide rods are alloyed with copper and nickel. 

• 2 weeks later...

i'm using the tungsten GR units  in all my limited.on my 35 i  use  a  non captured,on my 17  and 22  i  use  captured.  while the  metal  is  less  dense  than steel, i see  no  issue  with  the ones  installed  on my guns. my 22  has  over 100k  with the  tungsten unit.still going strong .

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Agent #1911 said:

Anyone know how much the tungsten guide rod weigh? 

The uncaptured, longer tungsten guide rod from Glockstore.com has this statement in its product information:

"Total Weight W/O Spring: 46 Grams (1.622 oz.). This race series guide rod adds an additional 12 grams (0.42 oz.) of weight (over the factory length 17/22 tungsten rod) at the end of the muzzle where it is most effective."

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
16 hours ago, 9X23Guy said:

Just FYI, a Surefire light with batteries is 4 ounces. Understand it wont work for competition but works well for everything else. And it has light.....

It is not unheard of for someone to fill the battery compartment with lead shot and run with it in Limited where that’s legal. This was especially common before the SJC frame weight came out.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I'm just put one in my G34 gen4. 

Holding it in my hand, I can feel a difference vs the all steel Jager one I was using.  It's about .5 oz heavier than the Jager. It's 2x the $ of the Jager. I shoot it in USPSA so even though it's only half an oz heavier I want it. I have not shot two guns back to back woth and without so I can't say I can actually feel a difference but again, any extra weight out at the front end of the gun is helping. So,...  

For competition the stock recoil spring assembly needs to be replaced. 

I have a Glock store uncaptured tungsten rod in my 17 and the other day after cleaning I saw that the round end was unscrewing.  I thought it was one solid piece.  I don’t know why they would do that.  You would think that turning threads male and female, and making the button would be more cost than just turning the whole piece.  Anyway I put some red locktite on it so it should be good.

Had a captured tungsten guide rod for a year or so, replaced it with an uncaptured tungsten rod about nine months then just restored the captured one because the uncaptured one hit my new compensator when cycling. Neither has been a problem while shooting about a thousand rounds a month mostly in competition.

Edited by Paul49

1 hour ago, lumberjack149 said:

in my gen 5  34 the factory spring setup weighed 0.7oz, the extended stainless guide rod with wolff spring weighed 1.23oz, and the tungsten extended guide rod with wolff spring weighed 2.6oz

What brand of rod are you running?

i am using the gen4/gen 5 adaptor and the jentra ultra heavy tungsten guide rod i bought through NDZ

Anyone know what adapter works with the jentra ultra heavy guide rod? I have to try one of these for my CO gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk