Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First .40 major load.....safety check

wrx04

I have my new 1050 up and running today, and want to check with you guys if there is any red flags before I shoot it.  I’ve loaded .45ACP and 9mm (unique powder) in the past on a 550b, but this is my first run with .40 AND the 1050.

To my suprise, the 1050 came pretty much dialed in from the factory....just needed to adjust the powder drop.  I’ve read about 100 threads on here and elsewhere, so I *think* I am at a good starting points, but would like to double check here.  I will be shooting these out of a CZ TSO.

Load data:

4.5gr N320 under bayou bullet 180g

1.126” COAL

Win spp 

Win case

I do not have a chrono, but will have access to one once our club starts shooting outside again (still icy here in MI).  Am I safe with this load?  Thanks

1 hour ago, Mountbkr said:

Have you verified that length by plunking in your gun?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yes.  All ten rounds passed the plunk test

58 minutes ago, DesertTortoise said:

I don't use that powder, but looking at their website I think you may be over max

How did you come by that recipe?

Are you working up from a starting load?

Screenshot_20180415-170614.png

I saw that on their website, and that has me questioning the load....I may pull the Bullets and start a bit lower.  I got the load data from a bunch of posts on this forum.  Most guys seemed to be running between  4.6-5.1 of n320 under 180g.  Apparently the CZ guys run shorter COAL than the 2011’s too.  I want to be very careful not to spike the pressure though.

42 minutes ago, GringoBandito said:

I loaded and have shot 4.6 grains of n320 loaded at 1.145 and hit 163 PF. Coated bullets appear to be a little faster that plated. YMMV

Thanks.  What bullet were you using?

IMHO, the most dangerous part of loading .40 Major, is bullet setback.

Fast powder, heavy bullet and bullet setback can be a real problem.

The way to check is push those ten bullets hard against your loading bench,

and re-measure them - see if they are still 1.126".   If they got shorter, you

could have a problem.

Best solved by using an undersized sizing die.    :) 

48 minutes ago, wrx04 said:

Yes.  All ten rounds passed the plunk test

I saw that on their website, and that has me questioning the load....I may pull the Bullets and start a bit lower.  I got the load data from a bunch of posts on this forum.  Most guys seemed to be running between  4.6-5.1 of n320 under 180g.  Apparently the CZ guys run shorter COAL than the 2011’s too.  I want to be very careful not to spike the pressure though.

Im not sure I would be comfortable 1/2 grain over max without working up. It does look like your load is within what others are using and the book is using fmj vs coated lead.

But youre also at the minimum overall length for the book and those other guys may be loading longer so a lower pressure. I guess all that to say, use the standard precautions of start low, work up and look for danger signs. 

17 minutes ago, DesertTortoise said:

Im not sure I would be comfortable 1/2 grain over max without working up. It does look like your load is within what others are using and the book is using fmj vs coated lead.

But youre also at the minimum overall length for the book and those other guys may be loading longer so a lower pressure. I guess all that to say, use the standard precautions of start low, work up and look for danger signs. 

Yeah, I think that’s what I’ll do.  Better to err on the side of safe.

Is it true you should always load the longest your gun will accept, or not necessarily?

I would find the longest load that will fit in the magazine and plunk in the barrel, back off a little bit to account for variation and if that is reliabe, that's the one I would use. With the CZ the chamber will probably be your limiting factor. It should drop in, spin freely, and drop out (you probably know that)

You won't be losing anything and you'll get a better safety margin for pressure. 

I think that is the best practice, but others can chime in if they know better. 

Edited by DesertTortoise

Alright, I pulled those rounds and remade it at 1.170”....they passed the plunk test and fit alright in the mags..  I also dropped the charge to 3.7gr N320.  If these function, I can work my way up from there.

Alright, I pulled those rounds and remade it at 1.170”....they passed the plunk test and fit alright in the mags..  I also dropped the charge to 3.7gr N320.  If these function, I can work my way up from there.

That's way to low for major power factor for that pill at that length. Going too low can cause problems too.

Your original 4.5gr of N320 is much more reasonable.

13 hours ago, wrx04 said:

Is it true you should always load the longest your gun will accept, or not necessarily?

No, it isn't.  If you are loading for a TS or TSO you should be at 1.126", period.  You gain nothing by loading longer, except higher costs and lousier SDs.

I do want to be in major power factor, but I thought it may be best to start low and work up.

I'm just confused as to why everyone is running short loads above published max by the powder company?

I was thinking of loading longer to make sure I don’t cause an over pressure situation.  Factory WWB is right at 1.126”.

4 hours ago, wrx04 said:

I want major power, but thought it best to start low and work up.

I'm confused why everyone is running short loads above published max?

Always BEST to start low and work up, with a chronograph.

Some guns have short throats and need to be loaded shorter - loading

.40 Major might involve using some loads that are above max   :)  

wrx04, first off, the VV load data was concocted by someone who was off their meds.  You almost never get the velocity they state, and they don't list pressures.

Here is an example.  I was using VV N310 for my bullseye load.  The max load listed was 200gr LSWC over 4.0gr powder.  It sucked unless the temps were high.  I read that Wilson combat and the Army marksmanship unit both loaded a 200gr LSWC over 4.5gr N310.  Several of us asked VV what was up.  They replied it was a very safe load, they are just very conservative when it comes to published data.

I stopped using N310, because I didn't want to go over book loads.  If you are worried about going over book with N320, switch to a different powder.  There is nothing at all magical about N320.  If you want a magical powder for 40, buy an 8 lb. jug of Alliant e3.  It will cost you less than a 4 lb. jug of N320 and it will work better.  It has no temperature sensitivity, meters well and consistently gives the lowest SDs in 40 of any powder I've tried.  If you simply must use a VV powder in 40, use N340 and load to 172PF or hotter..