Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli lubricant?

WS6

Do these (M1-M4 series) like a grease on the bolt carrier rails, or an oil? I understand the constraints of temperature and grease thickness,  but am asking with regards to wear? Many greases now exist that don't markedly thicken even below 0*f. Will this give better wear characteristics?

• 3 weeks later...

All joking aside, I have run about 1400 through my old M1 and while I have always kept the rails wet with what ever oil came in shooters bags, I never noticed any undue wear, and it still runs like a charm.......oh my bad......that 1400 CASES of shells. If you want to use grease feel free. As long as it has some form of lube you won't wear one out.....I know, I have really been trying.

As an aside, ALWAYS use an extreme pressure grease on the cam pin and cam pin slot, the rest just oil/ grease with whatever. Keep it wet!!!

Edited by kurtm

On 5/3/2018 at 4:37 PM, kurtm said:

All joking aside, I have run about 1400 through my old M1 and while I have always kept the rails wet with what ever oil came in shooters bags, I never noticed any undue wear, and it still runs like a charm.......oh my bad......that 1400 CASES of shells. If you want to use grease feel free. As long as it has some form of lube you won't wear one out.....I know, I have really been trying.

As an aside, ALWAYS use an extreme pressure grease on the cam pin and cam pin slot, the rest just oil/ grease with whatever. Keep it wet!!!

I ran G96 Synthetic on the cam-pin one one of my Benelli M4's and in just 200 rounds, I had began to notice wear similar to what you see on AR15's. I thought that was excessive for the system, personally. Is the grease likely to curb that?

• 4 weeks later...

I went with Cherry Balmz Black Rifle Balm grease. It's a very light grease with EP and other addatives, and the wear on my Benelli M4 SBS so far is VERY minimal. It runs with Remington STS 2.75 dram 1-1/8oz target loads from the hip, even, so I know the grease is not too thick. No change in thickness really when put in my deep freeze at -4*F, either. Compared to G96 CLP and another M4 I've used, the BRB produces MUCH better wear protection.

• 5 months later...
On 5/3/2018 at 4:37 PM, kurtm said:

I took this man's advice on many things and I will always remember, there is ALWAYS time for lube :cheers:

The lighter the oil, the more often you got to use it, but any oil is better than no oil, but I don't feel that it is up to the task on the cam pin and slot. I use Neco moly paste, or any good Extreem 

Pressure grease

BTW the Benelli oil works great in in-line drip oilers for air tools, it has a very low viscosity!