Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best expander die

xpierrat

I have been using a Lyman expander die and have a problem with the expander tip coming loose and then the case sticks, then gets pulled out of the shell plate holder and then is next to impossible to get it off the expander die tip   I often have to dermal it off and if I am not real careful/lucky I end up cutting the expander tip and have to replace it   I wish they sold just the tip but so far I have had to replace the entire part (see photos )

I also have a lee powder drop expander but it drives me nuts because every time after the case is expanded it sticks and makes a bang when I raise the lever back up ( I guess to shake the powder when dropped).. I do not use this feature as I drop powder a different way

I use a Lyman turret press BTW

What do you recommend as the best expander die?  I use coated lead so I need a pretty good flare on the shell case.

Thanks, Rick

IMG_0629.JPG

IMG_0630.JPG

Edited by xpierrat

19 hours ago, xpierrat said:

I have been using a Lyman expander die and have a problem with the expander tip coming loose and then the case sticks, then gets pulled out of the shell plate holder and then is next to impossible to get it off the expander die tip   I often have to dermal it off and if I am not real careful/lucky I end up cutting the expander tip and have to replace it   I wish they sold just the tip but so far I have had to replace the entire part (see photos )

I also have a lee powder drop expander but it drives me nuts because every time after the case is expanded it sticks and makes a bang when I raise the lever back up ( I guess to shake the powder when dropped).. I do not use this feature as I drop powder a different way

What do you recommend as the best expander die?  I use coated lead so I need a pretty good flare on the shell case.

Thanks, Rick

Polishing the angled/belling part of the Lee expander with that Dremmel will take the snap out of it...

You can also buy an expander for a 38 S&W that will expand the 9mm case to .357 dia. if using .358 dia bullets.

Just the expander part of the die is Lee PN SE1699 ($3+/-)

I just bought one from Lee and when I put it the cart, it came up FREE!!

https://leeprecision.com/pm-expan-plg-38-s-w.html

Yes, it might be too big for the bullets you're loading now, but you can polish it down to whatever diameter you need, something you can't do with the 9mm expander that's too small.

Can be bought here too:

https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-se1699-pm-exp-plug-38-sw?search=SE1699

https://fsreloading.com/index.php?_route_=lee-precision-pm-expan-plug-38-s-and-w.html&search=SE1699

:D

Edit: I'm assuming you are talking 9mm...if not never mind.

Edited by Kenstone

Thanks for all the replies everyone.. Kenstone I will look at the polish option when I get back (headed to TX for wife's Girl &A Gun conference right now) ... also the 38 option is good to know as I have some 158 grn heads I wanted to play with and yes we are talking about 9's

Edited by xpierrat

For me the Lyman M-die has been the best between Lee and Hornady when loading lead bullets. I never had problems with brass getting stuck, it's always been as smooth in and out like other dies. However, I did have the tip unthread itself one time. In my progressive press it gradually unthreaded itself increasing the flare/expansion on the brass to the point it would be over expanded so much a part of the brass would crease and form a lip when seating and crimping. It drove me nuts adjusting the die until it ran out of threads and just fell out. Red loctited that sucker in there and it hasn't moved since.

To me it sounds like something was wrong with the tip. Have you called Lyman direct? If they can't help polishing like suggested might be the next best route. Try green rouge compound for polishing.

Edited by BlueOvalBandit

The Redding is the same design as  the Lyman M-die.  That’s what I use.  Excellent die.

if it’s sticking, I’m going to go out on a limb and say you aren’t using case lube.  If that’s the case, start using case lube. ;) 

• 11 months later...
On 4/20/2018 at 6:32 AM, IDescribe said:

The Redding is the same design as  the Lyman M-die.  That’s what I use.  Excellent die.

if it’s sticking, I’m going to go out on a limb and say you aren’t using case lube.  If that’s the case, start using case lube. ;) 

Are the case mouth flaring dimensions of the M-die and Redding the same?  I have the M-die, but I really need to flare the case mouth quite a bit to not shave Acme 124 grain bullets.  Wondering if the Redding die was better for coated lead bullets.

Not sure if the Redding is better than Lyman. I do not have a Lyman. I have and use the Redding for loading 9mm with coated Bullets and don’t have an issue with flaring. The expander is adjustable and I can control the amount of flare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/14/2018 at 8:19 PM, xpierrat said:

Thanks, Rick

IMG_0629.JPG

IMG_0630.JPG

I just used LockTite on mine... no problems since. 

I’m a pretty big fan of the daa mr bulletfeeder expander. I put one in a lee expander body. The step for setting bullets is the business!

This [emoji1318]

Especially if you are using 9MM with mixed range brass.

They are hands down the best expanders for pistol cases if you are using a case activated powder drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used the
DAA for 9mm ok
Lyman M-die good
But the Lee universal expander used with NOE expander screw in “expanders” (multitude of different sizes) was the best. Due to selection to fine tune. I have even gone bigger and chucked them in a drill and sanded them down to get what I want. Plus they are 6 bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro