Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ultralight jp

The easiest way to drop weight is to take off the thermal dissapator and replace the handguard.  This will take a lot of weight off the nose which is where she will feel the reduction the most.  if you aren't in love with the SCS replace that with either a Blitzkrieg or Taccom unit.  

You should weigh the handguard, as you might be surprised how light it actually is. We replaced my buddy’s hoping to save weight and it was actually lighter than the lightweight handguard he bought to replace it. If a short handguard is ok, then run a carbon tube and cut it to length.

The GMR-13 is a beast overall. The lower is overbuilt and this heavier than a comparable NFA, etc. You can change everything attached, but it will always be heavier than a comparably equipped competitive product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a GMR-13 and wanted to put it on a diet too, but had heard the stories about the red Loctite being used on the barrel nut and that worried me a little.  Instead of messing with that, I purchased an NFA side charging upper (comes with LRBHO) and got a light 16" barrel and hand guard.  That took right at 1 lb off of the upper and changed the feel of the rifle.  

I have a GMR-13 and wanted to put it on a diet too, but had heard the stories about the red Loctite being used on the barrel nut and that worried me a little.  Instead of messing with that, I purchased an NFA side charging upper (comes with LRBHO) and got a light 16" barrel and hand guard.  That took right at 1 lb off of the upper and changed the feel of the rifle.  

Yep, two of the guys I shoot with have GMR-13 rifles and started with new uppers. Through our experimentations they’ve replaced almost the entire gun. Both now run a Taccom ULW upper and have since moved to a lighter lower as well. One still runs the JPSCS and the other the Taccom three stage buffer, but the rest of their GMR-13s are sitting around collecting dust due to the weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ended up doing the same, but not because of perceived weight.  I liked the idea of having a complete spare rifle, over having a spare upper, since the additional cost to achieve that was minimal.  

On 4/15/2018 at 12:17 AM, L9X25 said:

It does indeed have loctite on it, and a good amount.. Had to use a bit of heat but not very much really to get it off.

My gmr-13 weights with optic, 6lbs 2oz now.    JP barrel and comp,   I can't do anything else to make it lighter unless I were to cut it "which isn't happening".