Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass Trauma

SingingShooter

So...just how badly does 45 brass typically get beaten up through battery and ejection?  When picking my brass up today I found some of my empties to be dented on sides or bent at the crimp area when I hadn't even stepped on them. Thoughts?  For those wondering, shooting a new Colt Competition 1911, and using Wilson Combat 8-round magazines.

Generally, I dont have a problem with my 45 brass getting dented. Now if someone steps on it or grinds it into the rocky surface at the range it'll be a different story

As long as they fit into the size die, it should be fine. That will knock out any dents or anything. If its super bad and doesnt fit in the crimp die then I just toss it. 

I would think those dings and dents are a result of the brass hitting the edge of the ejection port. Possibly the extractor needs tightened up or the ejector needs adjusted. 

On 4/13/2018 at 8:49 AM, SingingShooter said:

So...just how badly does 45 brass typically get beaten up through battery and ejection?  When picking my brass up today I found some of my empties to be dented on sides or bent at the crimp area when I hadn't even stepped on them. Thoughts?  For those wondering, shooting a new Colt Competition 1911, and using Wilson Combat 8-round magazines.

I shoot .45 out of 3 different guns (Glock 41, Colt match build and a Turkish gun, with non of the brass issues you are seeing.