Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lightest Bullet for .45acp in a S&W 625?

jkrispies

Just kinda daydreaming and thinking about the viability of using a S&W 625 in Steel Challenge, especially if it could be run with a really low weight bullet.  I know that something like a S&W 929 is a better choice of firearm, but if somebody already owned a 625 and didn't want to invest in a new gun...?  Is there a readily available and viable .45 bullet that is sub-185gr, especially if it's a low-cost lead head?  Remember, there's no need for power factor concerns due to SC, and no need to worry about cycling an action because it's in a revolver.  Thanks, J

I had my best times using a 625 with 230 grain cast bullets and 3 grains of Bullseye.  That was many years ago but it was fun.   My bullets were so slow you could watch them fly to the targets.  It was the most accurate load I used and could use it for Bullseye Matches as well.   There was no recoil to think about.  For my 929 I use 160 grain bullets at 130 power factor.

You should be able to go 5 for 5 on a stage but if you do have to reload the 230 will load faster than anything else.

These are the lightest .45 cal bullets I've had personal experience with.  I shot an entire season of Steel Challenge with the 150gr in my 625 a few years ago.  At around 600 fps they are very soft shooting:

http://www.dardascastbullets.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=dardas&Category_Code=45

If you prefer coated these might be of interest, I haven't used this bullet myself but I have had good luck with their .50 cal version:

https://www.badmanbullets.com/OnlineStore/products.php?cat=45+Caliber+160+Grain+RNFP+Polymer+Coated

If you are looking to find more sources I would check places that cater to cowboy action.  The 160 gr variety is very popular with 45 Cowboy Special and 45 Colt shooters.

From Wiki under power factor.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_factor_(shooting_sports)

Steel Challenge[edit]

A minimum power factor of 120 kgr·ft/s (2.4 Ns) was previously required to activate the stop plate which stops the competitors time, but since around 2011 the stop plates are no longer connected to timers. Instead regular shot timers that register the last shot fired are used. Therefore, the minimum power factor rule no longer applies, and competitors are encouraged to use low power factor ammo in order to preserve the steel targets.

You don't need that much velocity to safely shoot steel targets.  SASS uses a 60 PF/400 fps minimum for handguns, and those targets are much closer than Steel Challenge.  The angle of the target with respect to the shooter is more important in my experience, I've been hit in the face with bullet fragments from poorly placed steel several times.  Always while someone else was shooting, never from my own bullets.

It looks like SCSA did eliminate a minimum in the 2018 rules:

4.1.5 There are no minimum power factor or velocity minimums in Steel 
Challenge. The Pistol Caliber Carbine Divisions (PCCI/PCCO) have a 
maximum velocity of 1600 feet per second.

7 hours ago, alecmc said:

Correct me if im wrong, but dont you want to aim for 800 FPS for steel challenge so the bullet shatters rather than " bounces " ?

750fps is an old safety rule. It no longer exists but I still abide by it for peace of mind among other reasons, mainly because I don’t like to wait that long for the bullet to travel to the far plates.  So, regardless of any of that, a 150gr bullet at 750fps is very sub-minor at 112.5pf.  That’s nothing AND the 625 is a pretty heavy gun.  Even going to 850fps (a nicer speed) you’re barely making minor, so it should theoretically feel like a 9mm.  I’d think that has the potential to be a beautiful conbo for Steel Challenge.  

Edited by jkrispies