Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reflex vs Tube style red dot

I have both and I greatly prefer the reflex style sights over tubes for PCC. I just feel like I c more or something. Im running the Romeo5 (tube style) right now instead of the reflex Romeo3 (which has a cracked lens) and while I don't think it's costing me much if anything in terms of performance I like the unobstructed view of the reflex better. 

I am cross dominant and occasionally with the tubes or even larger sized reflex sights (like an Eotech 512) I see the side of the tube/sight instead of my sight picture (typically only in awkward positions or leans). 

8 hours ago, Startingover said:

I have noticed that the tube type restricted my peripheral view with the knobs and the big tube etc.

^^^ This is exactly why I switched to reflex.  Much less crap to block your view when transitioning to the next target.

C-mores are ok but you better buy the sun shade to run it in sunny matches.

I prefer the tube type for bullseye accuracy by a slight margin.  The target is round and you subconsciously make the circles concentric.  That being said, I shoot bullseye with a reflex sight.  I use all my 1911s for more than one type of competition.  So every pistol I own wears a reflex sight.  The 1911s, CZ and 22 conversion units wear slide mounted reflex sights.  The 2011 Open guns wear frame mounted reflex sights.  When I get my PCC it will wear a reflex on a riser.  Much better field of view.

I have two Matchdot 2 tube sights that never see the light of day anymore.  I also have 5 Burris FF3s, 3 C-More RTS2s, 3 Deltapoint Pros and one Slideride.

Edited by zzt
I prefer the tube type for bullseye accuracy by a slight margin.  The target is round and you subconsciously make the circles concentric.  That being said, I shoot bullseye with a reflex sight.  I use all my 1911s for more than one type of competition.  So every pistol I own wears a reflex sight.  The 1911s, CZ and 22 conversion units wear slide mounted reflex sights.  The 2011 Open guns wear frame mounted reflex sights.  When I get my PCC it will wear a reflex on a riser.  Much better field of view.

I have two Matchdot 2 tube sights that never see the light of day anymore.  I also have 5 Burris FF3s, 3 C-More RTS2s, 3 Deltapoint Pros and one Slideride.

Interested in moving a Matchdot 2? I’m thinking of adding one to a 22/45 for bullseye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am running a Vortex SPARC AR  on both of my AR pattern PCCs.  Since I needed a riser anyway one with a built in riser seemed like a good fit and the ability to use common  AAA batteries is better than sliced bread IMHO.  The ability to pull a battery out of your muffs to be able to finish a match if needed cannot be over stated.  I have played drugstore bingo with coin cell batteries enough that I started buying batteries in bulk, only to have a percentage of them go (or arrive) bad in the packaging.  The only thing I wish was different is that I also have a Vortex Spitfire AR and  the reticle on it is etched, so even with no battery it is useable.  

All of that said, if I was putting a dot on a gun like the ruger that didn't need a riser, I think I would be looking really hard at the reflex sights, but I would probably end up with another tube type dot.  One of the considerations for me is perceived durability.  I have accidentally broken so many scopes and dots over the years, it's not even funny.  I broke the only reflex sight I ever put on a long gun by having it tip out of a cleaning rest and fall onto the bench directly on my little C-more STS.  I have had similar mishaps with the Sparc-AR's and didn't even scuff them (rubber cover FTW).  I know that is anecdotal at best, but for me a long gun needs a tube style, reflexes are for pistols...

Edited by barrysuperhawk
On 4/13/2018 at 8:17 AM, Tampa-XD45 said:

^^^ This is exactly why I switched to reflex.  Much less crap to block your view when transitioning to the next target.

C-mores are ok but you better buy the sun shade to run it in sunny matches.

That is true. Shooting out side in the morning or late afternoon.

Edited by usmc1974

I dont prefer one over the other. Its a non issue in operation. There are other factors more important to me. When you are just taking a casual sighting with one or the other, you are either looking thru a larger window or around a smaller window. But not really focusing on a target so you tend to notice things that may be or may not be important. In actual shooting, I focus exclusively on the target and the aiming point just lays on the target. I don't really even see the sight body on any of the many Reflex or tube style dot sights Ive actually owned and shot. Its just a very insignificant blurred haze. A tube style can be a little less forgiving of head position from awkward shooting positions, so I give a slight edge to reflexes sights for this if your technique is not perfected and this is an issue.

I prefer tube over reflex. Our local matches have a tendency for hard leans on the weak side, or low narrow ports that necessitate having the dot over to the side. It is marginally easier to find the dot through a tube especially if you don’t setup properly. However this game is based on margins, very small ones. I shoot aimpoints and staring through the sight I don’t notice the periphery knobs and such. I shoot reflex through my open gun btw

Reflex for me due to less obstruction around the frame.  Easy choice.  

Here’s my take:  if I were about to buy seaside property in Mogadishu, I ‘d go with a tube syle Aimpoint H or T with 4moa (or better yet a 6moa) dot because they are built like friggin’ tanks thanks to the tube style housing.  Another benefit to the tube is that all the parts are internally sealed so you don’t have to worry about dust dirtying up the diode passageways, etc., thus encouraging your little red friend to play hide-and-go-seek at the least opportune time. 

On the other hand, if I live in sunny Kalifornia, and I'm trying to win a speed shooting competition with a gun that spends all its time in a protective case except when I’m actually shooting it, then it’s an RTS2 or the like with its super thin frame for minimal view obstructions.  Just don’t drop it. 

I have a tube style primary (2MOA Romeo 5).  I like running the sight back near the charging handle instead of at the front of the receiver, so it gives me a wider view through the tube.  I have a 6MOA Venom reflex on an offset mount that I'm still getting used to.  I have never tried a reflex as the primary, but it seems like I get less glare on the tube than the reflex.

Really, though, I'd say run whatever you prefer.