Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stupid Question: Moving across States

RudyVey

So, after visiting our son and family in AZ, my wife and I really considering moving there when I retire in one to a couple of years. Right now we are at the east coast, so this move is pretty much across the whole USA.

How can we move with our guns (mainly hand guns), ammo and all my reloading stuff (powder, primers, presses etc, the whole enchilada of reloading).

I know that a "normal" moving company will not move such stuff. They wouldn't even move our gas bottle for the grill on our last move.

If anybody has some knowledge, I would appreciate if I could get some pointers.

Thanks

Depends on the moving company. I just relocated to AZ from Seattle and they moved 40 pounds of powder, 700 pounds of lead, 40,000 primers and all the firearms sans the SBR and silencers. If the last two (or MG/SBS) apply you will need to submit an ATF Form 5220.20 and have an approved from in hand before transport across state lines. They also moved tons of liquids, oil, solvents. Pretty much the only things they wouldn’t move were gas cans (despite moving 4 vintage motorcycles without draining the gas) and propane. It is amazing how far being nice, having lots of stuff already packed in leak proof bins and a few beers will go. In the end they are liable if something leaks or spontaneously combusts and damages your household goods, but at the same time they are your belongings so there is some wiggle room.

What area are you looking to relocate to?

Lee

Edited by RevolverJockey

I have shipped firearms during a move, but they wouldn't handle ammo, powder, primers, etc. They would move projectiles and brass though. Firearms went in hard cases with my locks and a their tamper evident seal on them. 

I pack the powder, loaded ammo etc in my truck. I dissasembled the presses and put them back in the factory boxes for shipment. I move enough that I save original boxes with the cutout foam for this purpose. Packers can do a good job though boxing everything up if you choose that. If they pack it, generally they are liable for damage due to the packing. But you're more likely to have furniture damaged than a big cast press.

Edited by DesertTortoise

Its been a while since I made a move but then the only things they could not transport were the loaded ammo, primers and powder.

Transporting firearms was no big deal.  Since they would be in storage a while, I purchased additional insurance to cover full replacement value.

As they were packed, we made a detailed list of every firearm including serial numbers.   When we arrived at our final location, the mover and I went through the boxes with firearms and checked off each gun on the list as I put it into the safe..  They then gave me the only list that contained serial numbers for disposal.

Guess we are probably driving a car out there, I could pack primers and powders and some guns in it. Have the boxes for the presses left, so they could be in the moving stuff with ammo components (lead, brass). Need to find a mover that is willing to move most of the guns.

10 hours ago, RevolverJockey said:

Depends on the moving company. I just relocated to AZ from Seattle and they moved 40 pounds of powder, 700 pounds of lead, 40,000 primers and all the firearms sans the SBR and silencers. If the last two (or MG/SBS) apply you will need to submit an ATF Form 5220.20 and have an approved from in hand before transport across state lines. They also moved tons of liquids, oil, solvents. Pretty much the only things they wouldn’t move were gas cans (despite moving 4 vintage motorcycles without draining the gas) and propane. It is amazing how far being nice, having lots of stuff already packed in leak proof bins and a few beers will go. In the end they are liable if something leaks or spontaneously combusts and damages your household goods, but at the same time they are your belongings so there is some wiggle room.

What area are you looking to relocate to?

Lee

Probably in the Buckeye - Goodyear area.

This answers many of my questions regarding reloading equipment and supplies as I’m also moving. But in my case, for all my firearms is a bit more complicated. I live in Puerto Rico and moving to Texas.
PR has one of the strictest gun laws in the US after CA. Firearms permit, target shooting permit, CCL and separate license to buy powder as it is considered an explosive. Renewal of all of these are in the thousands of dollars.
Hence my firearms are registered, as well as my ammo and powder purchases.
For the move I am planning to transfer FFL to FFL all my firearms to make sure they are taken off the PR registry. For ammo and powder, I am now trying to consume my inventory to avoid any hassles during the move.
Selling ammo or powder is not allowed, only FFL can sell those in PR.
I guess I’ll need to get used not having big brother overseeing all my shooting activities in TX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When we moved from Sodom on the Willamette to Texas four years ago I had four moving companies come out to give estimates.  One wouldn't move the guns.  Told them to walk.  The other three would move everything but the ammo, powder and primers.  I wrapped and packed all the guns in the safes and we drove down with the boom stuff.  I was told they flat just don't handle Hazmat stuff.  I knew that ammo isn't Hazmat but wasn't going to argue.

One thing I will say is to get a binding estimate.  I pointed out EVERY heavy item to the estimator.  All the buckets of brass, totes of bullets, I knew the weight of the safes and the contents.  Turns out he was 4, 013 lbs light on the estimate.  Since we had a binding estimate it didn't cost us a cent.  If we had not had the binding estimate it would have cost us around $3,000 to get our stuff off the truck.

59 minutes ago, ExStreetWalker said:

get a  binding  estimate.   If we had not had the binding estimate it would have cost us around $3,000 to get our stuff off the truck.

Never heard of it - when we came down to Florida from New York, guess we must

have had a Non-Binding estimate, because after they loaded all our stuff (no gun

stuff) onto the truck, they wanted another $1,000 since we "went over weight".

Believe it's a game they play - I should have called his bluff and told him to take

my stuff off his truck.   

But, we did compromise and it didn't cost me an extra $1,000   :) 

2 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Never heard of it - when we came down to Florida from New York, guess we must

have had a Non-Binding estimate, because after they loaded all our stuff (no gun

stuff) onto the truck, they wanted another $1,000 since we "went over weight".

Believe it's a game they play - I should have called his bluff and told him to take

my stuff off his truck.   

But, we did compromise and it didn't cost me an extra $1,000   :) 

It's the only way to go.  Reputable moving companies ONLY deal with binding estimates.  If a company won't give one then run far away.  

go to home depot and buy a greenlee job box, one big enough to hold everything, also get  a set of coasters to move it easy.  lock it up and don't tell them what is in it.  let them assume it is tools.

Edited by JohnRodriguez

19 hours ago, JohnRodriguez said:

go to home depot and buy a greenlee job box, one big enough to hold everything, also get  a set of coasters to move it easy.  lock it up and don't tell them what is in it.  let them assume it is tools.

Hate to tell ya this but that would be a violation of Federal Law.  Most movers aren't licensed to handle Hazmat and will inform you of that.  By concealing the Hazmat you'll be breaking the law AND violating your contract.  You could possibly end up just kissing all your possessions goodbye.  

Rent a truck/trailer if ya have to.

Hypothetically speaking, when I moved down to Florida, I MIGHT have

packed some ammo and reloading  supplies in boxes and sealed them

tight for the moving company to deliver to me.

AND, it's conceivable that the movers might have informed me that they

located some of these contraband items, when they delivered them to

my new home.  They were not, hypothetically speaking,  real pleased  ....  

And, they just might have mentioned that there are rules/regs against

such a hypothetical event   (I think I might be watching President

Donald too much on t.v. lately - matter of fact, I KNOW darn well I've

been watching him too much).  But, I know a lot more double speak

than I used to know.     :angry: 

On my last move from Ca to Va, I packed all my ammo, rifles, pistols, powder and primers with me in my SUV along with entire family. I would even take the rifles and pistols with me in our hotel on our stops.  Reloading equipment and supplies were packed with my house hold goods. 

Edited by MrRick

• 3 months later...
Also note the 55 mph speed limit on those trailers.

If you've involved in an accident with that trailer and Uhaul can show you were going over 55 you're screwed.  They can and will pull the black box data from your truck.

I know this is an old thread, but that is a frightening thought. Assuming Uhaul's case would be a civil claim, could they compel the auto manufacturer to release that data?

When we purchased our last car a couple of years ago we signed a release acknowledging the data that was collected (quite a bit actually beyond just speed) and the manufacturer would be compelled to release the information if ordered by a court. Wondering if that would apply in a civil case now.

Not that I ever want to find out and of course I've seen this the day before renting the same trailer to deliver my son's Eagle project!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John has a good idea, even for a revolver shooter.  I just moved to AZ.  Not much of a move since I lived in NM.

First, I packed all my gun and reloading stuff.  Golf boxes were great for long guns.  

The guys who loaded the truck had no idea there were guns etc.  Don't overload the box.  Boxes are cheap, not worth having one break in transit.

Call Roy Neal.  He posts here.  He insures a boat load of companies.  He does my insurance.  

If you are driving also, I would take my most expensive guns on the three trek across the US.  Read up on the LAWS.  NJ and MA are not kind.

• 2 weeks later...