Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 FTF

dthomas1003

24 minutes ago, Postal Bob said:

That's why you load long, so they don't fall out, or move too far foward in the mag. And the mag feed lips will better guide the round into the chamber.

I understand all that. But as I said in an earlier post, I get all of this ammo free. That is the reason for my motivation to get it to run in this gun. This is the first gun I have built. I meticulously fitted every single part by hand. I have learned a lot about these guns in the process and I learn even more with each little hiccup. I won't accept that factory ammunition will not run in a gun chambered for that ammunition. That is the set standard and any deviation outside of that, like having to load long, is no longer the standard. Doing so, like in the case if these STI mags, is settling for sub-standard performance and accepting that mediocrity is the norm. What happens to the people that buy these guns but for whatever reason, do not reload? 

1 hour ago, Postal Bob said:

That's why you load long, so they don't fall out, or move too far foward in the mag. And the mag feed lips will better guide the round into the chamber.

Even with my 9 Major loaded to 1.200, due to the transition section in the Gen 2 mags, there would be a large gap between the nose of the first and second bullet even with the rims touching. That would lead to a nosedives!

After the mod, that went away.

Edited by Broncman

43 minutes ago, Broncman said:

After the mod, that went away.

Thats what I'm hoping for. So far, the mod seems to have done the trick, I thank you for pointing that out. All the rounds are touching and are nice and tight in the mag. I'll be testing them out tomorrow after my 3 gun match. My four mags were at .670-.680 and should have been .640. That was a ridiculous amount to be off by. 

2 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Is the bottom of feed ramp overhanging the frame?

And that is why I asked here. Mag issues fixed and I knew I was still missing something. Yes, there is the ever so slight over hang, maybe a .001 or two. I'll be moving that back now. 

6 hours ago, dthomas1003 said:

But as I said in an earlier post, I get all of this ammo free. That is the reason for my motivation to get it to run in this gun.

I understand that. But it's like building a high performance race car, then using cheap, no name brand economy gas in it. My experience with Blazer aluminum brass, is I always ended up with aluminum flakes all over in whatever gun I tried it in. Metal flakes, even aluminum, are not good for your gun or mags.

Made it to the range today and ran over 200 rounds through it and all 4 mags. It ran flawlessly. I did have to trim the followers a little bit. With the narrower dimension in the transition area, they were sticking a little bit. Thank you to everyone for all the help and suggestions.

You can try using a shim in the back of the mag to bias the rounds more forward before they are fed. This is the same concept of using a shim when using 9mm ammo in 38 super mags. 

Edited by CHA-LEE