Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 FTF

dthomas1003

Need suggestions for FTF. It may happen once a mag or every other mag, it’s very intermittent. This happens prior to the cartridge even reaching the extractor. Mags are STI gen 2 with TTI followers and springs and springs are brand new. Feed lip dimensions are good. Also did it with a known good SV mag. Shooting factory 180gr .40S&W  Blazer ammo. I shoot that because I get all I want for free. Any suggestions on where else to look would be greatly appreciated. 

DDED4DC2-6F97-425D-9EC1-C946CAB21C3D.jpeg

It’s likely an extractor tension issue.

But what weight recoil spring are you running and how many rounds are on it?

Lube the breach face and extractor and see if things improve. If they do, tune the extractor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a brand new 12lb recoil spring and the Blazers are running about 172pf. I changed the recoil spring and all the mag springs. The extractor tension is fine. I've tuned that too. This failure is not even making it to the extractor. 

Edited by dthomas1003

1 hour ago, Broncman said:

Nose dive into ramp. Google Atlas's Gen 2 mods for STI mags. So far it has cured mine.

Yep. Adam also has a 6 part series on mag tuning. Watch them and buy Dawson tune kit for $99, OP.

Edited by Paulie

I do run the gun very well lubricated. It is always slinging oil..lol

I'll go look at that mod video from Adam. I don't recall seeing that one and I thought I had watched every video of his. I already have the Dawson tune kit and the mags are tuned. They run perfectly in a friend's tuned Edge. It was one of his SV mags for that Edge that I tried in my gun that still resulted in the same failure, leading me to believe it's more than just a mag issue. 

15 hours ago, dthomas1003 said:

OAL of the Blazer is 1.117

This verifies what I see in the pictures. The cartridges are too short. 2011 guns and mags, usually run best with longer than factory oal's. Most are run from 1.180"-1.20" 

Save yourself some time and trouble.....buy a couple hundred rounds of Atlanta Arms long ammo and see if it still happens.  If is was a mag spring issue, I think it would be happening on the first few rounds of a fully loaded magazine.  

If you tune your STI mags the way Dawson and Atlas say, you are going to have problems with short OALs.  I can run as short as 1.126" in all my 40sw 2011s with no issues.   The issue is the returning slide hits the shell on the end and drives it down into the feed ramp.  You can watch this happen in real time by slowly operating the slide.  One of two things will help.  Either bend the spring so the front of the follower is pointing higher (but not so high it interferes with the slide), or tighten up the front of the feed lips a little.

The problem is the mag spring is strong and the case is not slick.  It is pushed hard against the feed ramps and doesn't want to move because there is a lot of friction.  The first two or three rounds nose dive, then everything else feeds fine.  Try spraying One Shot on the outside of 50 rounds.  Let it dry, then load them.  I don't think you will have a problem.  You can also hit the feed lips and follower with Mag Slick.

One of my SVI mags just developed this problem.  It got dropped once too often.  When I get it back to nominal, I'll send you the feed lip dims.  They are always close, if not exactly, what works with my STI mags.  I'll get it working with  1.126", but won't guarantee it will work for factory Blazer.

Edited by zzt

1 hour ago, broadus123 said:

Did you use these bullets in your friends edge as well as the mags ?

I would remove the extractor and see if they feed, just to definitely rule the extractor out.

Yup, shot a whole match with his Edge and this ammo. Not a single hiccup. My mags run in his gun just fine. 

1 hour ago, RangerTrace said:

Save yourself some time and trouble.....buy a couple hundred rounds of Atlanta Arms long ammo and see if it still happens.  If is was a mag spring issue, I think it would be happening on the first few rounds of a fully loaded magazine.  

It happens with old or new springs and about in the middle of the ammo count in the mag. 

Found this video from Adam at Atlas. This describes my problem very well. I have the rounds falling out of the mag or they real far forward. My slide had a very slight radius and I opened it up a bit more and then polished it glass smooth. Will hit the range in the next couple of days to see how it goes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpz9-3pjJb0

Ok, in the groove that runs about a third of the way down the mag from the top, mark a line at 1". Measure inside that groove with calipers. Gen 2 will be around .612. Needs to be squeezed in to .583 ish. 

This will eliminate the nosedives in the transition area.

8 minutes ago, Broncman said:

Ok, in the groove that runs about a third of the way down the mag from the top, mark a line at 1". Measure inside that groove with calipers. Gen 2 will be around .612. Needs to be squeezed in to .583 ish. 

This will eliminate the nosedives in the transition area.

DO you happen to have a link to Adam's video for the Gen 2 Mod? I can't seem to find it and I'm a real visual learner..lol

4 hours ago, Broncman said:

For some reason I can't copy the link ony phone, but go to Atlas Gunworks YouTube channel and find  STI Gen 2 Feedlip Adjustment.

I finally found it. It is not on their youtube page. It is on their Facebook page. But, I did rewatch all 7 mag tuning videos again. And I found my mags are way too wide. 

19 hours ago, dthomas1003 said:

I have the rounds falling out of the mag or they real far forward. 

That's why you load long, so they don't fall out, or move too far foward in the mag. And the mag feed lips will better guide the round into the chamber.