Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To JM Pro or not to JM Pro........

After doing a lot of reading,  I'm having second thoughts about the JM Pro 24".... almost half of the technical shotgun thread is dedicated to troubleshooting or attempting to chase the Gremlins out of that gun.  It doesn't instill a whole lot of confidence.   I'm fairly mechanically inclined and don't mind spending time and money modifying things,  but after reading through all of the tweaks and fixes,   I see a lot of mossberg's for sale...  I realize, many of those posts are several years old.   Does anyone know if the later jm pro models have improved in reliability? Please chime in if you have any insight or opinions .  I'm supposed to pick it up today... or I could go in another Direction. Please advise

•  
  •  

2 minutes ago, LonesomeDuck said:

After doing a lot of reading,  I'm having second thoughts about the JM Pro 24".... almost half of the technical shotgun thread is dedicated to troubleshooting or attempting to chase the Gremlins out of that gun.  It doesn't instill a whole lot of confidence.   I'm fairly mechanically inclined and don't mind spending time and money modifying things,  but after reading through all of the tweaks and fixes,   I see a lot of mossberg's for sale...  I realize, many of those posts are several years old.   Does anyone know if the later jm pro models have improved in reliability? Please chime in if you have any insight or opinions .  I'm supposed to pick it up today... or I could go in another Direction. Please advise

•  
  •  
  •  

Another direction.  It can work, but why go through all the trouble and extra maintenance instead of making life easier and more time actually spent shooting?

There are running jokes about them for a reason.....

The only reason would be to support American workers... but that's a lot of rationalization. Like 1970s car manufacturers, Mossberg (Smith & Wesson) and Remington need a boot in the pocketbook to up their quality control and design. 

I know exactly what you're talking about Frankly. I'm sitting here looking at Benelis going...  well I drive a Ford..... I have nothing against Italy..... I like pizza. I sure wish Remington didn't go belly-up.  If I buy a used one would that be treason? 

I saw that thread High Power Jack,   I read almost everything about the pro in this forum that I could find last night. That was a ton of everyone's hard earned information.  Thank you all for sharing your experiences,  knowledge,  and curse words.    At this point,  I figure I have time to do some research and explore my options.   I will be here reading for a while..  if anyone has any suggestions,  advice,  or you see something in the classifieds that might work,  chime in here. . I'm totally open to suggestions at this point.   

I bought a 22" JM Pro...

Then I bought a 24" JM Pro...

I still have both. 22" is set up w/ 8rd tube. 24" is set up with 12+rd tube. Been using them for a few yrs now. Recently added a few OR3G parts and it seems better...

13 minutes ago, Steve RA said:

Get a Stoeger M3000 and have MOA fix it up.  Makes a really nice shotgun.

(Yes, I have one :D)

There are not as many 'smiths who want to fool with the JM' s for reliability work these days, so this is something to consider...

7 minutes ago, LonesomeDuck said:

Thats good to hear Wgj3,   I know they can purr like a kitty when they are happy.   Out of curiosity, which  Marine spacer did you get from Ore3on? 

I snagged one of the packages that included spring guide, spacer, oversized button for bolt release, tapered handguard retainer, and maybe 1-2 other pcs as well. Seems like it was around $150 which certainly adds to the cost...

I snagged one of the packages that included spring guide, spacer, oversized button for bolt release, tapered handguard retainer, and maybe 1-2 other pcs as well. Seems like it was around $150 which certainly adds to the cost...

I did all this to my 24”. Been a couple of years and a lot of rounds through it and she runs like a top. I have bought a Hayes benelli m2 and a Benny Hill versamax since just because and love those as well but I guess I’ll be the exception and say mine runs GREAT. Just keep it clean and it does it’s job for me!! Thinking about selling just to consolidate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, LonesomeDuck said:

After doing a lot of reading,  I'm having second thoughts about the JM Pro 24...I'm supposed to pick it up today... or I could go in another Direction. Please advise

•  
  •  
  •  

I would avoid the JM pro, too many better options.  

Trouble shooting and tinkering just to get your gun to run reliably is frustrating.  

Benelli’s are great.  Very low maintenance and they run well.  Beretta’s are great if you want a gas gun.  

If money is tight then I would look at one of the Benelli alternatives like the Stoeger or Franchi from MOA, or maybe a Breda.

Yep,  I almost ordered all of the goodies in their blue competition package last week.  I'm going to call them back in fact. Those folks run nothing but Mossberg.  I'll see if I can get anything difinitive.  Maybe they will reveal the great mystery of Jerry.   Do I need to avoid a certain window of fabrication?    Hopefully they will say something like,   "it's easy,  avoid the models produced in Connecticut during 2014,  our foreman was blind and he fell into the foundry one day and no one noticed.  So we had a bad batch of steel that year."......   

Steve, thanks for sharing,  that was awesome! I really needed a light-hearted, feel-good, story.   I'm going to see if any of those are in my vicinity. That'll work for me,  I don't need  a classic,  just something that functions.   That would leave a lot of financial headroom for other gear and upgrades.   I'm realizing that this sport is one where you pay to play.     

How do you like it so far?  A few people have mentioned the Franchi to me as well,  I haven't had time to research that one yet.  It's definitely on the list. I've been looking at this HK 3. Seems pretty bomber.    It just needs some minor loading port grinding,  a Nordic Components mag extension,  follower,  then a few cheap part swaps with Belini.   trigger springs,  extractor, extractor spring,  some minor polishing of the magazine, and they say it should  be ready to go.

Edited by LonesomeDuck

1 hour ago, LonesomeDuck said:

How do you like it so far?  A few people have mentioned the Franchi to me as well,  I haven't had time to research that one yet.  It's definitely on the list. I've been looking at this HK 3. Seems pretty bomber.    It just needs some minor loading port grinding,  a Nordic Components mag extension,  follower,  then a few cheap part swaps with Belini.   trigger springs,  extractor, extractor spring,  some minor polishing of the magazine, and they say it should  be ready to go.

Don't actually have it in hand. Just bought it from Gunbroker (see recent thread) and having it sent to MOA to get worked on.

I bought a JM Pro.. tried shooting it for a year.. It always ran badass at home.. full mag dumps etc.. But when it came to match day.. that was another story..

I was a pro at cleaning and clearing jams on a JM Pro..  SOLD...

Now own and use a Benelli M1  and VeraMax.. both built by Benny Hill 

Avoid the M3K. Buy a m3000 and do the work yourself. I've yet to see an m3k run well, including the one I bought. On the other hand m3000's almost always run, I rarely ever see them having fits of any sorts. It seems like what ever Stoeger did to keep the price down on the m3k and give you the 'features' absolutely killed that gun. Port work isn't hard, and you still need to do it on a m3k so doing it to a 3000 is really not much different. 

m3000's can be had for a shockingly low price right now which leaves you plenty of money to build it out exactly as you like.