Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock beaver tails and getting high...

JLB-US

I don’t suffer slidebite one way or the other but keep going back and forth between the small beaver tail backstraps or going bare on my Gen 5 17 and Gen 4 34.

i know in theory the beaver tail is to allow you to get higher on the gun, but on the Glock system am I missing something or isn’t it just pushing your hand actually lower on the grip due to the design???

The small beaver tail seems to help give me a very solid consistent grip on the draw, and easier more classic trigger finger placement (pad instead of crease), but running my Glocks “bareback” seems to allow me to actually be higher on the gun so I might feel a hair stronger on splits and maybe makes getting to the mag release just a tad easier.

Any thoughts appreciated! (I shoot production btw).

There beavertail does restrict how high you can get on the gun, which is necessary in my case since my grip was interfering with slide travel.

I would use whichever makes the most sense for fitting your hands and is most conducive for manipulation of the controls, including the trigger.

Being higher on the gun at the expense of essential ergonomic factors doesn't make much sense.

Pick one and forget about it.

You can adjust where your finger lands on the trigger by just moving it out a little. If you don't have to have the back-strap I wouldn't use it, mainly for just less material to shift in the hand and easier to take down to clean. 

I pretty much mirror what WTTURN said. My hand goes up and interferes with the slide.  I can run my Gen4 bare, but not quite to my liking.

As he said, pick what works for you and run it!!  :D

Thanks all, I’m just going to stick with the beaver tail ad even though it may not feel quite as right, it does always seem consistent, whereas I seem to always be shifting at some point running bare.

I’ll also pretend it’s welded on their to cure my ocd ;)