Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 single stack extractor question

Alright,  this one is probably pretty crazy but how easy should a properly tuned 1911 extractor come out of the slide?

Background, I've got two '07 Dan Wesson 10mm pistols.  One CBOB and a PM7.  Both of them were crushing brass between the slide and barrel hood.  Neither one would pass the common empty brass test.  I picked up a Weigand adjusting tool and tension gauge set, I own 13 1911 pistols so this was a good investment.  I pulled both extractors out, they practically fell out of the slides.  I tuned them both to 25-26 ounces of pressure.  Now when I want to remove these extractors it's almost impossible to get them out.  I have to take a brass punch and tap the extractor hook into the tunnel so I can get them out.

While shooting my older Colt Delta Elite I noticed a few pieces of brass get munched.  While cleaning I found the extractor comes out pretty easy.  I haven't tested it yet but I have a feeling it needs to be tuned.

I use a plastic automotive door tool from harbor freight to remove them. It's like a plastic pry bar with tapered ends.I just apply a bit of tension on the end while pushing back into the hole and they slide out. I can't see ever needing to hammer one out .

image_20820 (1).jpg

I just use the end of a plastic cleaning brush to push the claw into the tunnel. I use aftecs and they are kind of snug but nothing requiring brute force and ignorance.