Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 snub nose for wife

Peebles24

Peeb, I'll say again I think you are making a mistake with 158gr bullets.  Try them for sure, but don't buy many.  Do try a bunch of lighter weights.  Here's why.

I coach a lot of shooters at one of my clubs.  There are many women trying out personal defense guns, or trying to learn to shoot the one they bought.  Women's hand and forearm strength is not a high as a man's.  The muzzle always recoils higher than it would if a man was shooting.  That is especially so with a revolver, because you can not get as effective a two-hand grip.  So even though the sights are supposedly set for a 158, they will more likely than not be good for your wife with considerably lighter bullets.  You'll have to experiment to find out. 

• 1 month later...

Howdy-

I have several snubbies to feed, and though with me shooting them, they do well with 158gr bullets, I've come to really appreciate JHP 125 gr. bullets in them ( still like the 158's in K and L frame 'Smiths and Ruger 38/357 GP100s ). A standard for me has been the ZERO brand 125 JHP and  4.5 gr HP38. I used Win. Small Pistol primer as I have a bunch on hand. By all means, check carefully and observe best practices in handloading, as YOU are in control of the product, including the decision to assemble whatever you use.

I run a S&W mod 40 centennial ( with grip safety ) and highly recommend the following:  aftermarket grips with a wide recoil shoulder--i.e. spiegel, style boot grip,  factory ammo--Speer Gold Dot +p 135 gn  #53921, and for reloaders-- Trail Boss with the same Speer bullet 135gn GDHP  #4014 which was designed to open @ 38 special short barrel velocity

So the wife still hasnt tried the bullets i loaded for her. Ugh...  i did take them out a run over the chrony myself. Very mild recoil and even milder velocities only 460fps avg. Not sure this is even enough to expand 158gr xtps or penetrate a couple layers of denim. And no i didnt buy many only 250 plated and 100 xtp.

Edited by Peebles24