Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Checkmate! Load data and questions

Mlussoro

Local guys got a CM for sale said he wants to sell because it doesn’t run .  So we went out he loaded 6.1 autocomp. Functioned flawless but a lil on floppy side.  Made major 165.43 PF so question is would you load hotter to make comp work more to make it shoot flatter? Also tested some 135 gr under 3.6 titegroup ran those as well although not major pf but a lot flatter easier to track dot etc. .  So load hotter? = flatter? New to open and really on fence bough buying this 

Autocomp is on the fast side of 9 major powders, slower powders shoot flatter, I recommend HS6, AA7, or 3N38 under a 115.

Czechmates are awesome, if you have the chance, get it.  I'm also working on a lighter, more effective aftermarket comp for them ?

25 minutes ago, Mlussoro said:

would you load hotter to make comp work more to make it shoot flatter? 

Yes, try to get it up to at least PF168 - 172 and that should produce more gas

and therefore "work the comp" better - make it "shoot flatter".

To make it shoot even flatter, you might try the lighter bullets.  (I presume

you're using 124 gr bullets - hopefully JHP's).

The 135's will shoot flatter if lower than a Major load, but probably

not shoot flatter as a  Major load.    :) 

Running Acurate #7 at 9.8 grains with a 115 grain bullet seated at 1.160" in both of my Czechmates. Both make 168-170 power factor with that load. Think you will find light bullet with s,owner powder a better bet for shooting flatter. 

3 hours ago, Feegee Dean Matlock said:

Your CZ lets you run them that long?

115s are skinnier than 124s and I've found plated bullets can load longer than jacketed of the same weight.  115 round nose (JHP are a different story) can typically load out to 1.170" without reaming, any longer than 1.180" and they may randomly hang up in the mag.

115s are skinnier than 124s and I've found plated bullets can load longer than jacketed of the same weight.  115 round nose (JHP are a different story) can typically load out to 1.170" without reaming, any longer than 1.180" and they may randomly hang up in the mag.

Which plated 115’s are you using? I’ve been wanting to try 115’s but the ones I had required them to be pushed short or ream the chamber. So I’m still using 125 TC’s for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO, the best plated bullet for Open is Rainier Ballistics.  They are swaged from soft lead, then thickly plated.  Even with a heavy crimp you cannot cut the plating.  They are extremely accurate, consistent, and they don't 'grow' when you load compressed.

CMs generally run fast.  My buddy makes 172PF with a load that will absolutely not run a 2011.  My TS barrel shoots considerably faster than either of my 2011 barrels.

OP, if the price is right, go for it.  They are way less finicky that a full custom 2011.

I load 6.8gn Autocomp with a 124gn plated RN in mine (Frontier). Makes 170-171 PF.

I load mine on the short side. Around 1.12-1.13

We can’t get the other powders mentioned here in Oz. Used to be able to get 3N38 but they’ve stopped importing that now and in any case we can’t use 115’s in IPSC.

6 hours ago, kujo929 said:

Which plated 115’s are you using? I’ve been wanting to try 115’s but the ones I had required them to be pushed short or ream the chamber. So I’m still using 125 TC’s for now.

I used Xtreme plated before I switched to Montana Gold

21 hours ago, Feegee Dean Matlock said:

Your CZ lets you run them that long?

Yes.  I run Montana Gold CMJ 115 Round nose bullets at 1.160 with no issue in both of my Czechmates. I also have several friends running same load in their Czechmates as well.  The ability to load to that OAL will depend on the barrel that came with the gun.  Have found several instances where we had to use a Clymer Throater Part # 184053380 to allow it to chamber that OAL.  Specifically the spare barrel on my second Czechmate and the factory installed barrel on my first Czechmate.