Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ring on nose of Xtreme 147gr 9mm

Lobonca

I have started reloading the Xtreme 9mm 147 grain bullets.These are longer with a pointed nose (I used to load Montana Gold 147 with the flat nose). These Xtreme bullets get a ring around the nose on station #3 of my Dillon 550.

Questions:

1) Is there a way to adjust the station to prevent this?

2) If not, will it affect the accuracy of the bullets? 

Dillon seating die?  If so I found you will get the ring those and some other plated bullets.  I never found it to effect accuracy.  Despite that it always did bother me so I have since switched to a Lee die. 

Edited by NWfront

Flipping the stem will often result in inconsistent flat spots on the tip of the bullet.   

I would make sure there is enough bell on the case mouth, which makes seating easier.  Lubing your cases can help quite a bit.  Try dumping them in a gallon Ziploc bag and spraying a couple quick blasts of One Shot, DCL or a homemade case lube into the bag and tossing the cases to coat them evenly.

When I was new to reloading I didnt bell my cases mouths enough, and loaded without lube, which resulted in some deformed noses or ogives depending which way I had the seating stem facing.    Now, I only see the ring if I am loading a plated bullet with a compressed load of powder.  

Soft bullets will sometimes get that ring with seating anvils that seat off the ogive or cone instead of the nose.  I see them all the time on bare lead .45 SWC.  They're not a problem.  I have a bullseye pistol and with my .45 SWC can shoot sub 4-inch groups at 50 yards off a bench (not quite there off-hand) and I'm NOT a great shot.  The impressions made by that type of seating anvil aren't hurting anything. 

I would recommend against flipping the anvil.  For a couple of reasons, seating off the ogive/cone is better for precision.  It produces less run out, and since most variation in bullet length occurs at the nose, seating off the ogive produces a more consistent seating depth (how far the bullet base is seated into the case, as opposed to OAL), and consistent seating depth has a genuine ballistic effect.  These concerns may very well be among those considerations that don't have much effect at typical pistol distances, more important for rifle, but with no added benefit to seating with a flat anvil, I see no reason to even consider a flat anvil.

I use the Berry 147 grain bullets and at first the ring showed up.  I went and had Dillon send me another seating insert to keep before I modified my existing insert.  Centered the seating stem in a drill press with a bullet, then put wax on bullet you want to use, place JB weld in the insert, press the two together and let the JB set up enough to remove bullet, a little trimming flush with the inset and you have a custom seating stem for your bullet.

• 4 weeks later...