Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When to become RO

There is no reason not to and many reasons to become an RO. Yes, we always need RO’s. AND taking the course will make you a better shooter by virtue of understanding the rules better.

Get yourself thru the NROI Level 1 and you will have more appreciation of the game, plus be able to help out, and have a better understanding of your own game. No reason not to take the class. 

I’m also an “older dood” (senior division) and a CRO. I went to my level 1 class to understand the rules. Then I started working matches and found that I really enjoy working with shooters and “making the sport possible”. So I’m classified as a C shooter. I really don’t care. I enjoy the sport. My work gives me more vacation than I know what to do with, my children are out of the house and the wife needs a break from me sometimes. 

Upside: meet new people, travel to matches, shoot major matches without paying a fee (most of the time), most of the shooters you meet are good people, you make the sport possible.

downside: it doesn’t make you a better shooter; it might make you a better gamer, you HAVE to call penalties (including DQ) when deserved, you always have ‘spirited conversations’ when you make a decision that the shooter or his buddies don’t like, there are a few buttheads out there shooting. 

All in all, I enjoy the role and look forward to each match.

im scheduled for Battle in the Bluegrass and Ryan Rocks Charity blast so far this year. If you are going to either one, look me up or pm me if you want to talk.

Bill

I dq'd a guy on the last stage of his first match. 

Though, he'd been warned earlier in the match (by someone else) about his finger being in the trigger. 

When I saw it, it wasn't remotely questionable. His finger was wrapped around all the way inside. 

I felt bad though. 

I became an RO because one of the clubs I shoot at a lot asked people to take the course and they paid for it.  About 40 people did.  Now we have 3-4 ROs on each squad and no one has to work too hard.  When the guy running the shooter and the scorer are both ROs, life is easier.

45 minutes ago, Hammer said:

Everyone who is remotely serious about the sport should take the class and pass the test.

I agree.  It is in everyone's best interest to understand the rules.  I always take my rule book to matches, just in case I need to either defend a ruling or negate one.  It will help during stage setup/design, scoring, and so much more.  Heck, it might even save you from being bumped from your intended division to "open" division, which is totally, and easily avoidable. 

i'd say after one's first full season is a good time to get certified as RO.  that way you have some actual experience that helps put the rules and theory in context.  other than sitting inside in class and missing a weekend of actual competitive shooting, really no downside to taking the class.  doesn't matter how fast or slow or good or bad you are.  but everyone should really read thru the rules a couple of times a year, amazing what gets forgotten or mixed up, especially for some of us that play multiple games.

My son and I took the RO class together.  We learned a lot I had been shooting USPSA a little over a year and he had been shooting maybe 6 months he was also 15 years old . It gave us both a better understanding of the sport and more opportunities to help!

My son and I are taking the level 1 class this weekend.  I've bee in the sport about 4 years and my son slightly less.  This is the first time a class has worked out close enough not to have to get a hotel and on a weekend that wasn't booked with something family related.