Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to Limited, looking for suggestions

So I have been a USPSA production shooter for a couple years now and in the next year I’m looking to make the move to limited. I currently shoot a Glock 34 and when I make the move I would want to shoot a steel gun. Now, I don’t have an astronomical budget. So I’m looking at CZ or Tanfoglio. What suggestions do you guys have for decent limited guns that aren’t over the moon in price. My range is between $1,000-$1,200. Thanks everyone! 

If you're including magazines..? I don't know what platform will get you to that price range, I'm not aware of any worth spending time on.  Might as well keep saving and then find a deal on something used.

Shane Coley won Ltd Nationals with a Glock 35... just saying

I wasn’t going to include magazines in the beginning price. I know if I want to make this a thing I’ll need a new belt rig, mags, holster, etc. I’ve been looking at just getting a 35 slide and running it on my 34. That may be the nest option...

34 minutes ago, Mac_Menamy said:

I wasn’t going to include magazines in the beginning price. I know if I want to make this a thing I’ll need a new belt rig, mags, holster, etc. I’ve been looking at just getting a 35 slide and running it on my 34. That may be the nest option...

If you go with the 35 slide, you will need to chage the ejector on the frame to a .40 cal. ejector. (non-bent)

1 minute ago, rack&roll said:

If you go with the 35 slide, you will need to chage the ejector on the frame to a .40 cal. ejector. (non-bent)

Is that something that’s easy to do? Or would I just be better off getting a new 35. If it means anything I’m qualified for the Blue Label pricing so I believe a new 35 is $506 on blue label 

CZ Tac Sport is a perfectly competitive platform and can be found new for 1150. 

Or you could find one in the classifieds for about 1000-1200, usually packaged with enough magazines to get you started in Limited.

If you want to keep your total cost under 2000, that's the way to go. You get a full steel single action pistol with a pretty nice trigger out of the box.

I was in the same boat as you were in, and opted to spend closer to $2K and picked up a nice used 2011 with 6 mags. I couldn't be happier. Buy once, cry once.

I also considered a CZ and the Tanfoglio, but in the end, I decided to get the best I could, and for me, that meant the 2011 platform.

I considered the CZ and Tanfoglio, but ending up with a 2011. It seems like everybody eventually ends up with a 2011 even if they started with the CZ or Tanfoglio. One downside I can think of with the 2011 is that they like loaded long .40 and not factory .40. I have seen some 2011s run just fine with factory .40 and others not able to get through one magazine. If you spend enough time looking you should be able to get a good deal for a used 2011 in the classifieds.

You should consider sticking with your 34 or getting a 35 with magazine extensions. That will last you for a long time. Your gun won't be the thing holding you back. One of the top limited guys shoots a 35. I have seen plenty of people, myself included, with expensive 2011s get beat by people shooting an M&P or a Glock.

22 hours ago, rack&roll said:

at that price ($506.00) I'd just get a new 35! Then you have 2 Glocks! :D

The other advantage is that you are Very Familiar with the platform.

I'd stick with Glocks for $500 and see if you want to change next year    :) 

Thank you all! I think I am leaning toward the 35, now I guess the decision is gen 3 or gen 4. I know that now a days they both have a lot you can do to them. Shoot, I may even see if I can find a 24 (don’t know how hard or easy that would be or if there would be a benefit to that vs the 35) but I think that’s what I will go for. Then as things progress maybe I’ll look into something else. I’m only 2 years (1 year seriously competing) into this so I have plenty of time. And I am on a pretty strict budget. Thanks again for all the advice! 

4 hours ago, Mac_Menamy said:

Thank you all! I think I am leaning toward the 35, now I guess the decision is gen 3 or gen 4. I know that now a days they both have a lot you can do to them. Shoot, I may even see if I can find a 24 (don’t know how hard or easy that would be or if there would be a benefit to that vs the 35) but I think that’s what I will go for. Then as things progress maybe I’ll look into something else. I’m only 2 years (1 year seriously competing) into this so I have plenty of time. And I am on a pretty strict budget. Thanks again for all the advice! 

Just go with the 35 so you can keep the same holster you used for your 34 in Production. Unless you're going to a race holster...

Keep shooting your Glock and save for a 2011.  Buy some TTI mag extensions and call it a day.  Shooting Limited minor will force you to be more accurate.  I started in USPSA shooting a G34 in Limited.  I did a Zev trigger, Sevigny sights, and an extended mag release.  Used a standard Bladetech holster and Safariland mag pouches.  Don't forget that you can position your mags and holster anywhere on your belt you like.  Shoot what you have for a year and see if you like Limited before you make a huge investment into guns and gear.

7 hours ago, SilverBolt said:

Keep shooting your Glock and save for a 2011.  Buy some TTI mag extensions and call it a day.  Shooting Limited minor will force you to be more accurate.  I started in USPSA shooting a G34 in Limited.  I did a Zev trigger, Sevigny sights, and an extended mag release.  Used a standard Bladetech holster and Safariland mag pouches.  Don't forget that you can position your mags and holster anywhere on your belt you like.  Shoot what you have for a year and see if you like Limited before you make a huge investment into guns and gear.

You know I’ve thought of something along these lines too. Especially with the new rules coming to Priduction in May that frees up a lot of the restrictions there are currently. Right now I’m running a DAA belt with DAA mag pouches and a blade tech set up from the Ben stoeger pro shop

Agree with g Mac, you can get a gently used STI Edge or similar for $1500 or less.

Huge difference between a 2011 and a Glock, although you can certainly be competitive with either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know much about Glocks, but SJC customs sells a Glock frameweight with or without a thumbrest that attaches to it (not sure if it will fit the G35) which will help with muzzle flip by adding some weight to the front of the gun/giving you a stable platform to fight it better via the thumbrest...  I also recently switched to limited (from carry optics); so I put a magwell on and am looking at getting the frameweight w/ thumbrest and the apex flat face trigger (already have the competition spring kit) for my M&P Pro CORE .40.  Plus, One of the guys I shoot with gave me a great deal on a CR speed race holster because he didn't like it, but IMO it is awesome!  I will eventually switch to a 2011 but for now I am just making my current setup as good as it can for the time being.

I have a RIA Pro Match 40. Got it from g4gguns.com for $815 shipped not to long ago. Its been reliable so far and you can have mags with extensions for $60. $22 Mag from Gregcote.com, Mecgar for Para in nickle. Taylor Freelance “Fattie” Magwell $60 and Mag extensions $35. Not a 2011 but a nice double stack 1911 with good checkering on the front and back straps for better grip. Heres a pic of the mag. 

5F366CD4-9E77-442F-A7ED-3F67A4575B3E.jpeg

85867BA6-6DA4-4D51-AEF8-EBDB79692836.jpeg

Edited by Bmeehan19

I’m in a very similar situation as the OP.  I decided to go with a new CZ TSO in .40.  Not sure yet if this was the right move, but here was my thought process:

I could buy a reliable, stock firearm with most attributes/features of a high end 2011 for half the cost.  The extra cash allowed me to buy a Dillon 1050 with bullet feeder for the same price as a new (high end) 2011.

I like glocks a lot and seriously considered a G35 instead of the CZ.....I’m sure either would be fine.  I also wouldn’t be surprised if I switch to a 2011 in the future either.

What did you end up going with?

21 minutes ago, wrx04 said:

I’m in a very similar situation as the OP.  I decided to go with a new CZ TSO in .40.  Not sure yet if this was the right move, but here was my thought process:

I could buy a reliable, stock firearm with most attributes/features of a high end 2011 for half the cost.  The extra cash allowed me to buy a Dillon 1050 with bullet feeder for the same price as a new (high end) 2011.

I like glocks a lot and seriously considered a G35 instead of the CZ.....I’m sure either would be fine.  I also wouldn’t be surprised if I switch to a 2011 in the future either.

What did you end up going with?

I actually haven’t decided yet. I’ve been leaning toward the G35 since I can get blue label cost. But I honestly don’t know. I keep checking the classifieds to see if maybe something pops up. I checked out the Tanfo’s too and really like those. It’s so much to decide on haha

It’s a tough one.  Honestly, if budget is an issue, I think a G35 is the single best option.  They are cheap, reliable, and have a TON of aftermarket support.  I get why some people don’t like them, but dollar for dollar, they may be the best gun out there.

There is something awesome about the guys running Glocks who smoke the field.....it’s all the shooter.  Too easy to get caught up in the gear (cool guns are definitely fun) but shooting is the game, not gun buying.  

Trust me, I know it’s hard to decide.  I just did it myself and still not sure if I made the right choice.  I decided to say “F@#$ it” and jumped in.  It’s only money.  

On 3/25/2018 at 11:02 AM, Mac_Menamy said:

So I have been a USPSA production shooter for a couple years now and in the next year I’m looking to make the move to limited. I currently shoot a Glock 34 and when I make the move I would want to shoot a steel gun. Now, I don’t have an astronomical budget. So I’m looking at CZ or Tanfoglio. What suggestions do you guys have for decent limited guns that aren’t over the moon in price. My range is between $1,000-$1,200. Thanks everyone! 

There is a great deal in the classifieds on an Edge with goodies for 1650. With 4 mags.  Will try to post a link for you.