Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cost to rebarrel 2011 from 38 super to 9 major

abigger04

1 hour ago, tanfoglio1911 said:

The first thing I considered was the budget. Since the first one he made run flawlessly why not do it again. I had a good deal on this used 38SC, still run good but I hate the fact of picking the brass and can only recover a fraction of the amount I shot. I think this is a personal preference.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with that. I tend to look at over all ‘value’ — to me. That doesn’t necessarily mean cost although it does come down monetary quantification of a sort. All just depends what it’s ‘worth’ to the person buying it. 

I kind of have a sentimental attachment to my gun to rebarrel.  It might be more cost effective to sell it and then purchase a different gun in 9 major, but I just didn't want to let this one go.  I just chalk it up to it being a "hobby", as opposed to a "business" that must cash flow.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

here is the Trubor blank with custom comp cuts I'm using in my new build.  I bought it from Eric (Aircooled6racer).  He will cut his comp into a Trubore blank if you send it to him.59087d9b36ec2_EricsComp.jpg.05929b4aa069519eeaf33cb78a180181.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I finally have an update for those interested. I finally received my Trubor back from the barrel/caliber change at STi.

It works great! I had it reblued as well. It feels like a brand new gun. 

53B37A0E-12FC-4E6A-8874-0DD60D40E887.jpeg

Why can't a gunsmith machine a spacer ring that is 3.70mm long and sweat it into the forward part of the chamber?

No new barrel, comp or fitting. I would just recut the lead into the new spacer.

One of our club members ran 9mm in a Caspian 38 super for years and had no problems. His spacer was made out of brass.

Even if there was a failure of the spacer at some point in the future, the 9mm would still fire until a new spacer was inserted.

If I understood the post, to many comps have come loose because of heat, I would hate to see a sliver of metal get lodged in front of a high speed bullet just to save money. Any smith worth their weight would not tackle that job. Just to dangerous. To many what ifs.

• 4 years later...

Rough breakdown...

SV Parts: Total ~$700-1,100

($492-687 plus fitting/coating) 

* $293-318 Comp

* $299-369 Barrel std or hybrid

* ~$200-400 Fitting/Coating

Othe Parts: Total ~$700-940

($500-540 plus fitting/coating) 

* $250 Comp Atlas

* $250-290 Barrel KKM std

* ~$200-400 Fitting/Coating

Note: Can save ~$100 on other comps. 

Simply "shooting 9mm in a 38 Super-chambered gun" isn't going to work unless the Super chamber is way out-of-spec.  Back when I was shooting Super, one of the worst things that could happen was having a piece of 9X21 or 9X23 brass sneak into your brass batch.  It would lock the gun up TIGHT.

The SAAMI spec for 9mm chambers calls for the chamber to be sized 0.3913 just ahead of the extractor groove and it tapers down to .3820 just before the crimp at the case mouth.  Super is 0.3887 just ahead of the extractor groove and is almost perfectly cylindrical, tapering just a hair to 0.3872.

Driving a bigger tapered case into a cylindrical smaller hole will usually result in that hard jam.