Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cost to rebarrel 2011 from 38 super to 9 major

abigger04

I have a backup 2011 Trubor chambered in 38 supercomp that I’ve been tempted to rebarrel to 9 major. I know labor cost may vary depending on the particular gunsmith, but what should I expect to be a ballpark figure for labor to have my gun rebarreled?  

Also if there are any recommended smiths to perform this job I’d appreciate the advice. 

Edited by abigger04
details detail details

26 minutes ago, Tom S. said:

Are you talking about a revolver?  Semi auto?  What manufacture and model?

I apologize.  I should have been more specific.  It is an older 2011 Trubor chambered in 38 super comp.

I urge cation, I sent my 38 super off to a reputable smith just to rebarrel in 9mm and $1,200 later I had a new 9mm top end ?

"Well, this barrel was not fitted the way I would have done it, this comp is no good, nobody really cuts slides like this anymore, I'll do it, but you're really going to come out ahead if you fit a new top end..."

1 hour ago, mscott said:

Shoot 9mm out of the super barrel. Might not need a new barrel.

I'd be cautious about this.  I tried it in my 5", comped, 3-barrel-hole .38 SC gun and couldn't get velocity up past about 155 PF.  In trying to make major the loads started to push the primers backward so hard they pressed a small but very visible indentation in the breech face, which now imprints on all my .38 primers.  Waaay too much pressure.  Powders included WAC, HS6, and 3n38, bullet 124 gr, 1.165 OAL, WSR primers - nothing unusual.  None of them got to major. 

Then I got a 9 major gun.  5", comped, 3 popple holes (slightly smaller than the .38, which is appropriate), and ... 9mm chamber.  Bingo - 172 PF without trying (6.9 WAC, if I recall).  I'm guessing the difference is the proper chamber, as several builders I talked to suggested.  I know, I know, a bunch of people on here will swear it worked fine for them, and that's why I tried it.  I wouldn't do it again. 

So, you can re-barrel the gun (I've been quoted $500-$650; don't forget, a new comp has to be fitted, and that could be $300 by itself), get a new top end, or get a new gun, but use the right ammo for the barrel. 

Best of luck!

15 minutes ago, teros135 said:

I'd be cautious about this.  I tried it in my 5", comped, 3-barrel-hole .38 SC gun and couldn't get velocity up past about 155 PF.  In trying to make major the loads started to push the primers backward so hard they pressed a small but very visible indentation in the breech face, which now imprints on all my .38 primers.  Waaay too much pressure.  Powders included WAC, HS6, and 3n38, bullet 124 gr, 1.165 OAL, WSR primers - nothing unusual.  None of them got to major. 

Then I got a 9 major gun.  5", comped, 3 popple holes (slightly smaller than the .38, which is appropriate), and ... 9mm chamber.  Bingo - 172 PF without trying (6.9 WAC, if I recall).  I'm guessing the difference is the proper chamber, as several builders I talked to suggested.  I know, I know, a bunch of people on here will swear it worked fine for them, and that's why I tried it.  I wouldn't do it again. 

So, you can re-barrel the gun (I've been quoted $500-$650; don't forget, a new comp has to be fitted, and that could be $300 by itself), get a new top end, or get a new gun, but use the right ammo for the barrel. 

Best of luck!

Thanks!!

16 minutes ago, CCG said:

Why the change to 9 Major? 

I’ve been shooting both 9 and 38 sc and I have developed a preference for the 9. 38 sc does seem slightly softer, but for me the decision has much has to do with the time it takes to reload.

Of course, the lower cost and benefit of not picking up brass are big factors, too. Plus 9mm is about the only cartridge I use except for .223. But mainly I don’t always have the time to reload and after spending all week in the office I may not want to reload. I’d rather relax. So, there are some weeks where I will just buy 9 major and use that in matches. 9 major from Black dot ammo out of Alabama has been good for my gun. And it isn’t cost prohibitive. So, not having to reload adds to my overall enjoyment of the sport, but if I need to do it I will do so to keep playing. I just like to shoot! 

Have you tried contacting STI and asking them?  I see Dawson sells the barrel & comp for around $350.  I don't know what, if any fitting is involved though.

EDIT: Now that I look at their ad, it lists the same barrel for both calibers.  Call them, you may not need to change anything!

7 hours ago, Tom S. said:

Have you tried contacting STI and asking them?  I see Dawson sells the barrel & comp for around $350.  I don't know what, if any fitting is involved though.

EDIT: Now that I look at their ad, it lists the same barrel for both calibers.  Call them, you may not need to change anything!

Will still have to be fitted and chamber reamed.

I've gone to 9mm major, like you said just easier for me etc etc

Cost anywhere from 500-1800

If you like the trubor comp the STI bbls are a good deal and don't require "quite" as much work

21 hours ago, Tom S. said:

I'll try contacting STI again today.  Couldn't get through to anyone on Monday. I called Brazos but I was told they don't do any gun smithing. (?)  Maybe STi will be my best bet.

1 hour ago, abigger04 said:

I'll try contacting STI again today.  Couldn't get through to anyone on Monday. I called Brazos but I was told they don't do any gun smithing. (?)  Maybe STi will be my best bet.

You gona be surprised,, I called them about the same thing. $$$$$$$$ do I need to say more.

Okay, well I just got in touch with the STi custom shop.  They quoted me $675 for the barrel, comp, and labor.  It did not include the cost of a new extractor which probably will be necessary.  There's a wait time involved but that is not a big deal since this is a backup gun.

1 hour ago, tanfoglio1911 said:

Thinking of the same, but with Chester's price I think I am going his way. $850 includes everything.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Chester who?

24 minutes ago, abigger04 said:

Chester who?

I thought of changing my back-up 38 SC to 9mm. Chester is a local gunsmith in South Carolina. He worked one of my 40 STI open and changed it to 9mm now my primary gun and runs great. New slide, barrel and comp etc. A couple of months ago, I bought a used STI Competitor 38SC and he will do the same job, change the caliber to 9mm. New barrel, comp, slide lightening and chrome it.

On 4/1/2018 at 2:27 PM, tanfoglio1911 said:

I thought of changing my back-up 38 SC to 9mm. Chester is a local gunsmith in South Carolina. He worked one of my 40 STI open and changed it to 9mm now my primary gun and runs great. New slide, barrel and comp etc. A couple of months ago, I bought a used STI Competitor 38SC and he will do the same job, change the caliber to 9mm. New barrel, comp, slide lightening and chrome it.

Just curious about the cost of buying the used gun and having all that work done vs just buying a new (or used) one chambered in 9mm off the get go. Seems like it’d be a wash. Is it something having to do with quality or s personal preference of components?

thanks

Just curious about the cost of buying the used gun and having all that work done vs just buying a new (or used) one chambered in 9mm off the get go. Seems like it’d be a wash. Is it something having to do with quality or s personal preference of components?

thanks
The first thing I considered was the budget. Since the first one he made run flawlessly why not do it again. I had a good deal on this used 38SC, still run good but I hate the fact of picking the brass and can only recover a fraction of the amount I shot. I think this is a personal preference.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk