Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Example Training Plan

rlv65

I am looking for examples of training plans.

I would anticipate that there are many different levels of plans that can be established - seasonal, monthly, weekly, daily, training session, etc. that would include match dates, training days, drills, dry fire schedule, etc.

I understand that I need a plan, but am interested in what others are using in order to develop one to suit my available time & needs.

Anyone have any good examples?

Get yourself a dryfire app for your phone (there's a few samples mentioned if you search on this site) and start keeping a training diary.  I use the "Day One" app on my iPhone and like it quite a bit.  What you need to do is be objective with your skill set (or ask a quality person to analyze you and provide feedback) and practice specific skills where you're lacking.  If you're super new to Production, I'd start with safe and basic draws (broken down into the individual parts of the draw, as in grab, pull, push, sight focus, and I'd stop there with no trigger pull until you perfect all of the previous) and wouldn't even bother aiming at a target.  Follow that with safe reloads, again broken down into parts.  That alone could take months depending on your current skill set and learning curve.  After that, it's all about front sight focus and visual focus transitioning from target to target.  Track everything in your diary.  When using the par timer, you need to use it more as a means of statistically tracking progress through data and NOT pushing yourself to go faster for the mere sake of having good par times-- that will only make you rush and have bad form.  Proper form is everything.  Remember, practice does not make perfect; perfect practice makes perfect. EDIT TO ADD:  Set aside at least 15 minutes 3-5 times per week to dry fire.  Whn figuring time, make them honest minutes.  What I mean by that is: 5 minutes setting up an array and putting on your holster, 5 minutes dry firing, and 5 minutes putting everything away is just 5 minutes of dry fire.  Don’t cheat yourself with false time reports.  

Edited by jkrispies

Thanks for the reply.

I have been shooting for a while & have done intermittent dry fire, but previously focused on getting my kids to their practices - now ready to focus on my own sport.

As I plan to increase my level of participation, I am interested in any various long term training plans others may have assembled in order to model & prepare one for myself based on my identified weaknesses, match performances, etc.

Good advice in your edit regarding actual practice time vs set-up & tear down.

Thanks again.

My pleasure.  I keep a series of dry fire arrays permanently set up on the walls of my garage and my equipment stowed in there as well so there’s no set up/tear down time involved other than getting the gun out.  I wake up early before the family and dry fire for1/2 hour a day (assuming I get to bed on time) as part of my morning routine.  It keeps me organized, efficiently on task, and is actually a fun way to start the day.  Read Lanny Bassham’s mental management book With Winning in Mind for practice design.  Another pist says they are having a sale right now.  Basically identify three needs and train them separately.  Start with your medium difficulty need as a warmup, move to yoir most difficult need in the middle, and end on the easiest need so you finish on a high note.