Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S & W K frame

3gunDQ

So tell me what you think of the K frame? I inherited a 6” K frame 38 an I’d like to shoot it in USPSA indoor matches... could I(should I) get it fitted to run moon clips? If so who does that? And what should expect to pay? 

grip recommendations appreciated. 

TKCustome will convert your K-frame to full moons for just over $100 but I'd buy some Safariland Comp IIIs instead.  The K frame moons are very thin and prone to bend.  The Safariland's  will last you for years.  If you decide to shoot ICORE you can shoot Standard with the gun without the moons.  Lots of fun there.

29 minutes ago, AzShooter said:

TKCustome will convert your K-frame to full moons for just over $100 but I'd buy some Safariland Comp IIIs instead.  The K frame moons are very thin and prone to bend.  The Safariland's  will last you for years.  If you decide to shoot ICORE you can shoot Standard with the gun without the moons.  Lots of fun there.

+1. I shoot a 4” 66 in Classic division Icore. Moonclips would bump you into Limited and you’d be competing with the 8 shots. Your 6” would be a perfect Classic shooter and the Comp III’s are great speedloaders.

Edited by Mcfoto

Either of the above is fine. Or you can do both by cutting it for moons and also using speed loaders. 

In ICORE with speed loaders you can shoot classic, or with moon clips you can shoot Limited 6. You will not be competing against 8 shot guns. 

TK Customs does a fine job cutting for moons. I just had them cut another gun, a J frame, for moons and 9mm. It works excellent. 

Edited by MWP

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:36 AM, swordfish said:

USPSA 6 shot revolver is really really slow, especially with 8 shot position arrays, but you'll definitely good at reloading. I just did one up for a friend of mine.

You'll get 5 reloads minimum on a 32 round stage.... with a 6 shot... and your stage planning and making every shot count will become second nature.   Major scoring is a plus, too.   Don't fall into the trap I'm trying to climb out of and try and "keep up" with the times of the PCC's, open sonic boomers and limited guys... they live in a different world.  A really frenzied one...:)

jason

7 minutes ago, Makicjf said:

You'll get 5 reloads minimum on a 32 round stage.... with a 6 shot... and your stage planning and making every shot count will become second nature.   Major scoring is a plus, too.   Don't fall into the trap I'm trying to climb out of and try and "keep up" with the times of the PCC's, open sonic boomers and limited guys... they live in a different world.  A really frenzied one...:)

jason

Exactly. I shot Revo Minor in USPSA with a 6 shot for a while. It's fun as long as you're comfortable not being competitive. The only aggravating thing is that there are many classifiers that require 8 shots before a reload so your classification can suffer.

I've also shot USPSA with a .44 to get that Major scoring boost. And palm numbness.

45 minutes ago, Makicjf said:

jason

This is definitely the trap I've fallen into. The times shouldn't be too much different on stages where I don't have any standing reloads, but I was looking through today at the last match and I really need to pick up the pace. Obviously my closest competition I want to mimic are the Production dudes, I shoot with an A guy sometimes and the other squads had As and Ms. Last match I just sucked it up. Sometimes we have 4-5 revos going, but they're not really competition. I feel bad for my 6 shot buddy, he gets discouraged because I'm way better than him anyway, and he just has to make it up double with his limited rounds.

Good afternoon Guys.

This is a great subject. i have only one this to add.

The K frame was never designed to take a FMJ style projectile.

I have only used a revolver for about 10 years, so i'm still learning, but the one thing i have learned from the few friends i have, is that a FMJ in a K frame will most likely crack the forcing cone.

I have seen it for myself.

So lead rounds are the only true option.

But the K frame is an awesome firearm.

Thank you for your time.

J. Russell Bryan

51 minutes ago, JRB said:

Good afternoon Guys.

This is a great subject. i have only one this to add.

The K frame was never designed to take a FMJ style projectile.

I have only used a revolver for about 10 years, so i'm still learning, but the one thing i have learned from the few friends i have, is that a FMJ in a K frame will most likely crack the forcing cone.

I have seen it for myself.

So lead rounds are the only true option.

But the K frame is an awesome firearm.

Thank you for your time.

J. Russell Bryan

My understanding is this issue was addressed in later models and was told on the S&W forum not to worry on my 66-8.

4 hours ago, JRB said:

the one thing i have learned from the few friends i have, is that a FMJ in a K frame will most likely crack the forcing cone.

3 hours ago, Mcfoto said:

My understanding is this issue was addressed in later models and was told on the S&W forum not to worry on my 66-8.

The problem was with lighter bullets at magnum velocities; so if you are shooting heavier bullets at standard velocities you shouldn't have any problems.  I've fired thousands of 142 and 158 grain jacketed bullets through my model 19 with zero issues.

44 minutes ago, Gary Stevens said:

Sounds like you inherited a K-38. These are fine old guns and many of us appreciate them for what they are. You might be better off to sell the old Smith and buy a newer revolver that meets your needs.

My 2 cents.

1+ got a k38 in the 80's and picked up a like new k22 a while back. I would leave them alone.

16 hours ago, jhgtyre said:

The problem was with lighter bullets at magnum velocities; so if you are shooting heavier bullets at standard velocities you shouldn't have any problems.  I've fired thousands of 142 and 158 grain jacketed bullets through my model 19 with zero issues.

Correct. This is why Smith and Wesson recommends .38 sp for target/practice and reserve .357 mag for self-defense/hunting.

22 hours ago, jhgtyre said:

Or 150gr out of 38SC barely making minor PF.

3 hours ago, swordfish said:

Or 150gr out of 38SC barely making minor PF.

You may have had a different problem but the widely publicized issue with K Frames cracking forcing cones was with lighter bullets at magnum velocities. 

10 hours ago, jhgtyre said:

You may have had a different problem but the widely publicized issue with K Frames cracking forcing cones was with lighter bullets at magnum velocities. 

I was agreeing with you and suggesting another load that would have no problems, esp one popular with uspsa.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/25/2018 at 8:50 AM, paul788 said:

Check Palmetto Gun Club in Summerville, host of the SC Sectional match this year.  I believe they run ICORE most of the year.  Pinetucky in Augusta GA is also doing ICORE.

Paul

Is Pinetucky hosting an ICORE  Match again??? That would be great news if so...

Edited by mikey357

5 hours ago, mikey357 said:

Is Pinetucky hosting an ICORE  Match again??? That would be great news if so...

Not really, we have a few sporadic matches scheduled called Target Pistol, that follow the ICORE format, but open to all pistol types. All stages are box to box standard type stages, with no shooting on the move. The intent was a bridge for newbies to USPSA. We have typically run the annual Postal Match at the end of the year, but even that is questionable if we will continue. Our revolver support for these matches ranges from 1 to 3 folks. Just not enough support to warrant setting up a match.

• 4 weeks later...