Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester Small Primer Not Red

Ryan626

31 minutes ago, RudyVey said:

They look red to me

My eyes are seeing red also!

A few years ago Dan Bedell ran into a lot# of SPP that went bang but gave about 30 power factor lower.

They had a Black cast to the priming mixture.

BUT

That was back when primers were scarce and he got them from another shooter and they were a couple years old when he got them etc etc.

Should probably load up a test batch with each and chrono them to see if they run the same

This sparked mu interest, so I went to the basement and loaded some tubes. I found one "not so red" primer in three tubes I loaded. Odd, but it seems that red stuff is some sealant material and in the case where it is less red, it looks like the top has flaked off.

I took two pictures, the primer in question is the second from the left on the lowest row.

IMG_4238.JPG

IMG_4240.JPG

Unless the primers are being exposed to extreme conditions a little flaking of the primer sealant won't cause light strikes. Are the primers being seated properly? If so then you probably have a gun problem.

Edited by 4n2t0

I ran into the same Odd looking Winchester SPP primers. I loaded 800 rounds last week and found 2-3 primers per 100 out on 1 box of a thousand. These look just like the pictures with a significant reduced amount of sealant on them. I segregated them while loading; loaded them up and they all went bang like the rest of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

A little late on this one but I had the same ratio of not so red in my last case of Winchester spp. In case you're still wondering, they all went bang for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have probably loaded at least 400,000 WSP primers with no issues but last season, shooting a classifier, had one shell not go bang.  Retrieved the round, pulled the bullet and knocked out the primer.  No explosive and no red in the primer.   I use a Dillon primer tube filler so rarely check the primers.  1 in 400,000 isn't bad.