Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 4 G34 Beginner Load

GunBugBit

My friend will be shooting his first USPSA and/or Steel Challenge matches soon.  He has a new Gen 4 G34, belt, holster, pouches, pretty much ready to start.  He has been looking into reloading and has questions that I can't answer very well because I reload .45 ACP for my own 1911s.  I'm settled on my recipe and haven't thought much about 9mm loads.  He is asking if he should go light or heavy with the bullet.  All I've told him is that less powder is needed to get a heavier bullet to a given power factor, and they might shoot softer.  So he says, should I go with 147gr then?  I don't know for sure.  So I said, try some factory 115s, then some 147s, maybe some 124s, and see what you like best; we can chrono them and I'll let him know what power factors he is shooting; then we can work up a reload recipe that is similar.  That's about all I can think of to tell him for right now.  I also mentioned that he will probably want to try some different recoil spring weights than the factory spring in his quest for reliability, minimal muzzle flip and best feel.

If any of you guys would be kind enough to share 9mm load recipes that you like in your G34, I'd appreciate it.  In general, my friend wants to be above the minor floor and be sure he can knock down steel poppers, but have a reliable, reasonably soft-feeling load.

Edited by GunBugBit

I prefer 147's and just about everyone I know does as well in their Glocks.  I've always had good luck with Titegroup (3.0 coated & 3.2 plated) and 147's rn or hp around 1.140".  Do a search and you should find plenty of info.

I would actually advise against doing a lot of experimentation and load development as a new or early shooter.

1.  It's going to retard growth by sucking up time that is better spent learning how to play the game, and

2.  They have no requisite technique or foundation so they're not going to be able to tell the difference anyway.

Have him pick a load, and stick with it for at least a full first year.

I like 125gr coated bullets, but it's really irrelevant.  I'd suggest 124/125 for cost reasons.  

125gr coated lead

3.8gr of Titegroup or Sport Pistol will make PF through most anything.

17 minutes ago, wtturn said:

I would actually advise against doing a lot of experimentation and load development as a new or early shooter.

I agree with wt. Just get a load that runs reliably and makes power factor. There is so much to learn regarding shooting. Fiddling with loads is down the road. Getting one's grip and learning how to call shots is much more important.

Having said that, a lot of people use NWfront's 147 load, me included.

Coated 147 3.0-3.2 Titegroup or Bullseye 1.14 or shorter if he has to. Reasonable accuracy.

Or go all crazy and get some 135gr coated and load them over 3.3gr of Clay Dot, very accurate in both my Glocks. With two very different profile bullets.

5 hours ago, NWfront said:

I prefer 147's and just about everyone I know does as well in their Glocks.  I've always had good luck with Titegroup (3.0 coated & 3.2 plated) and 147's rn or hp around 1.140".  Do a search and you should find plenty of info.

Almost identical to a load I've shot in my G34.  147gr RN with 3.0gr of Titegroup 1.130-1.135 OAL  Recoil is more of a push than a flip.

7 minutes ago, BigMoneyGrip said:

What velocity are you guys getting with the 147's and Titegroup?

here's one for you

Bullet Brand Rocky Mountain
Bullet Type Round Nose
Bullet Weight 147gr
Powder Name Titegroup
Powder Weight 3.0gr
Primer CCI
COL 1.130-1.135
Average Chronograph Speed 890
Standard Deviation 8.86
Chronograph Speed Low/High 877 903
Power Factor 130

I agree on the titegroup loadout! It was definitely my favorite load in 9mm. It’s been a while since I’ve run mine but I think I ran mine at 13lbs but I was using a glock 22 conversion to 9. Good luck and happy shooting. 

21 hours ago, GunBugBit said:

When shooting a load such as described above (147gr, PF around 130), what weight recoil spring in a G34 do you guys like?

In a G17, I have a 13# ISMI. All other springs are stock. Never have a reliability problem.

• 1 month later...